ASIA/INDIA - Bishop Machado: "Hindus and Christians welcome Pope Francis, a man of dialogue and charity"
Vasai (Agenzia Fides) - "All the people of India, Hindus and Christians, welcome with joy Pope Francis. We believe he will be a man of dialogue and charity ", says to Fides Agency His Exc. Mgr. Felix Machado, Bishop of Vasai, expressing the feelings of the Indian Church. The Bishop received a large number of phone calls, messages of congratulations from Christian faithful, priests, nuns, but also from Hindus and says: "The first to call and congratulate me was a well-known Hindu religious leader who said: we also prayed for the new Pope, we are happy with you, he is also our Pope. ". "This is really a good omen for us," said the Bishop, noting "the enthusiasm of the Indian people, of all religions, for the Catholic Church."
Mgr. Machado recalls that the Church in India is appreciated and works along two tracks: dialogue towards cultures and religions and charity towards the poor. And, according to the Franciscan spirit, "Pope Francis - hopes the Bishop – will encourage dialogue with other religions, a dialogue in the right way" and "will give a great example of charity, of attention to the poor." "We thank God that he sent us a new Pastor, who gives us the nearness of God to his people," he concludes. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 14/03/2013)
- 2015-02-27 - New episodes of violence against Christian churches
- 2015-02-25 - Release of kidnapped priest: the Church thanks the Prime Minister
- 2015-02-24 - The government of India does not intend to pass any anti-conversion law
- 2015-02-20 - ASIA/INDIA – Local Church tells government: stop discrimination against Dalit Christians
- 2015-02-18 - Prime Minister promises protection for minorities, bishops call for “concrete action”
- 2015-02-12 - Blasphemy against the Christian faith
- 2015-02-10 - Elections in Delhi: nationalists collapse, for the Church it is "a new beginning"
- 2015-02-09 - Bishops of Latin rite: "We urgently need to respect the rule of law, peace and harmony"
- 2015-02-06 - Attacks on churches: Home Minister, Rajnath Singh, promises security to churches
- 2015-01-30 - Bishops to the government: "To support a secular India and respectful of the rights"