ASIA/INDIA - Bishop Machado: "Hindus and Christians welcome Pope Francis, a man of dialogue and charity"
Vasai (Agenzia Fides) - "All the people of India, Hindus and Christians, welcome with joy Pope Francis. We believe he will be a man of dialogue and charity ", says to Fides Agency His Exc. Mgr. Felix Machado, Bishop of Vasai, expressing the feelings of the Indian Church. The Bishop received a large number of phone calls, messages of congratulations from Christian faithful, priests, nuns, but also from Hindus and says: "The first to call and congratulate me was a well-known Hindu religious leader who said: we also prayed for the new Pope, we are happy with you, he is also our Pope. ". "This is really a good omen for us," said the Bishop, noting "the enthusiasm of the Indian people, of all religions, for the Catholic Church."
Mgr. Machado recalls that the Church in India is appreciated and works along two tracks: dialogue towards cultures and religions and charity towards the poor. And, according to the Franciscan spirit, "Pope Francis - hopes the Bishop – will encourage dialogue with other religions, a dialogue in the right way" and "will give a great example of charity, of attention to the poor." "We thank God that he sent us a new Pastor, who gives us the nearness of God to his people," he concludes. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 14/03/2013)
- 2014-12-19 - Education, food and protection for orphaned girls
- 2014-12-19 - Christian leaders: "Christmas with a heavy heart because of the violence against Churches"
- 2014-12-16 - Year of the consecrated life: Sisters in brothels to save the enslaved prostitutes
- 2014-12-11 - Catholics: "The government must not encourage Hindu extremists"
- 2014-12-09 - Human Rights Day: Bishops focus on minorities, religious, tribals and Dalit
- 2014-12-06 - Artists of different faiths reflect on Saint Francis Xavier
- 2014-12-05 - ASIA/INDIA – Protection for churches and religious freedom: Franciscans mobilise
- 2014-12-03 - “Treated worse than animals”: dramatic situation of women with psychological or intellectual disabilities
- 2014-12-03 - Srinagar and appointment of successor
- 2014-12-02 - Over 70 million children suffer from chronic malnutrition and 13 million work