AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC - "We look forward to having Pope Francis in Africa," says the Bishop of Bangassou
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - "We are trying to open a humanitarian corridor to get aid to the population and evacuate people in need of treatment" says to Fides Agency His Exc. Mgr. Juan José Aguirre Munos, Bishop of Bangassou, the city in the south-east of the Central African Republic conquered on 11 March by a dissident faction of the rebel coalition Seleka. (see Fides 12/03/2013).
"Unfortunately we do not have precise information about what is happening in the city because the phone lines are still interrupted," says the Bishop who even in the difficult moment he is experiencing he has words of appreciation for the newly elected Pope, Francis. "I am very pleased that the new Pope comes from Latin America because it is a recognition for the Church of that continent" says the Bishop who is a Comboni of Spanish origin.
"We look forward to having Pope Francis in Africa so that he can see the suffering but also the hopes of our continent," concluded Mgr. Aguirre Munos. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 14/03/2013)
- 2013-12-09 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The situation in Bangui is slowly normalizing, but there are still thousands of refugees in parishes"
- 2013-12-07 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The whole country is terrorized": new testimonies on the drama of Central Africa
- 2013-12-07 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - The testimony of two missionaries who welcome the displaced people fleeing violence
- 2013-12-06 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "Apocalypse in Bangui" says Mgr. Aguirre to Fides
- 2013-12-05 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Intense gunfire in Bangui, civilians flee
- 2013-12-03 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The arrival of French and African troops is having positive effects"
- 2013-12-02 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Caritas meeting in Rome on the humanitarian emergency in Central Africa
- 2013-11-26 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Precarious situation in Central Africa; Paris announces the sending of other 800 soldiers
- 2013-11-21 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "Genocide is probably exaggerated, but anything could happen", says a missionary
- 2013-11-18 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "In Central Africa we risk a new bloodbath" says a missionary