AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC - "We look forward to having Pope Francis in Africa," says the Bishop of Bangassou
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - "We are trying to open a humanitarian corridor to get aid to the population and evacuate people in need of treatment" says to Fides Agency His Exc. Mgr. Juan José Aguirre Munos, Bishop of Bangassou, the city in the south-east of the Central African Republic conquered on 11 March by a dissident faction of the rebel coalition Seleka. (see Fides 12/03/2013).
"Unfortunately we do not have precise information about what is happening in the city because the phone lines are still interrupted," says the Bishop who even in the difficult moment he is experiencing he has words of appreciation for the newly elected Pope, Francis. "I am very pleased that the new Pope comes from Latin America because it is a recognition for the Church of that continent" says the Bishop who is a Comboni of Spanish origin.
"We look forward to having Pope Francis in Africa so that he can see the suffering but also the hopes of our continent," concluded Mgr. Aguirre Munos. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 14/03/2013)
AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC
- 2015-11-23 - The video message from Pope Francis brought to the Muslims by the Archbishop of Bangui
- 2015-10-28 - Archbishop of Bangui tells Fides that he was not kidnapped during a visit to the Central Mosque
- 2015-10-14 - The PMS invite to "put an end to hostility and bickering" and ask for sanctions and compensation
- 2015-10-01 - AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – More clashes, but people want the stability of institutions
- 2015-09-29 - Thousands of people find refuge in parishes
- 2015-09-29 - Bangui in chaos: the reconstruction of the accidents, towards an uncertain future
- 2015-09-08 - Archbishop of Bangui: "Authority and the international community have to take on their responsibility to stop the violence"
- 2015-08-19 - The 2015 Sergio Vieira de Mello Prize will be awarded to the Interfaith Peace Platform
- 2015-07-24 - AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – Training to counter unemployment: 29 teachers receive diploma
- 2015-05-18 - "We have to be humble to have the courage to forgive one another", said the Archbishop of Bangui