AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC - "We look forward to having Pope Francis in Africa," says the Bishop of Bangassou
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - "We are trying to open a humanitarian corridor to get aid to the population and evacuate people in need of treatment" says to Fides Agency His Exc. Mgr. Juan José Aguirre Munos, Bishop of Bangassou, the city in the south-east of the Central African Republic conquered on 11 March by a dissident faction of the rebel coalition Seleka. (see Fides 12/03/2013).
"Unfortunately we do not have precise information about what is happening in the city because the phone lines are still interrupted," says the Bishop who even in the difficult moment he is experiencing he has words of appreciation for the newly elected Pope, Francis. "I am very pleased that the new Pope comes from Latin America because it is a recognition for the Church of that continent" says the Bishop who is a Comboni of Spanish origin.
"We look forward to having Pope Francis in Africa so that he can see the suffering but also the hopes of our continent," concluded Mgr. Aguirre Munos. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 14/03/2013)
- 2013-05-13 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The Central African Republic is likely to become a home for Al Qaeda," says a missionary
- 2013-05-08 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "Planned destruction of Christian churches" the Bishops denounce
- 2013-05-06 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "What are the true intentions of Seleka towards us?" Ask the Bishops
- 2013-05-03 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - The looting of the rebels continues, another church desecrated
- 2013-04-25 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - A month after the conquest of Bangui rebels continue to vex the population
- 2013-04-19 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - The Central African Countries promise another 2000 men to ensure safety
- 2013-04-18 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "More than a thousand people have sought refuge in the hospital" says the Archbishop of Bangui
- 2013-04-16 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The already poor population is stripped of everything," denounces the Bishop of Bangui
- 2013-04-15 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "Chaotic situation, who can must escape"
- 2013-04-13 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA- Still chaos but the new authorities carry out some steps to stabilize the situation