AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC - "We look forward to having Pope Francis in Africa," says the Bishop of Bangassou
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - "We are trying to open a humanitarian corridor to get aid to the population and evacuate people in need of treatment" says to Fides Agency His Exc. Mgr. Juan José Aguirre Munos, Bishop of Bangassou, the city in the south-east of the Central African Republic conquered on 11 March by a dissident faction of the rebel coalition Seleka. (see Fides 12/03/2013).
"Unfortunately we do not have precise information about what is happening in the city because the phone lines are still interrupted," says the Bishop who even in the difficult moment he is experiencing he has words of appreciation for the newly elected Pope, Francis. "I am very pleased that the new Pope comes from Latin America because it is a recognition for the Church of that continent" says the Bishop who is a Comboni of Spanish origin.
"We look forward to having Pope Francis in Africa so that he can see the suffering but also the hopes of our continent," concluded Mgr. Aguirre Munos. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 14/03/2013)
AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC
- 2015-07-24 - AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – Training to counter unemployment: 29 teachers receive diploma
- 2015-05-18 - "We have to be humble to have the courage to forgive one another", said the Archbishop of Bangui
- 2015-03-26 - Caritas Bangui distributes aid to the displaced Muslims in Mbaiki
- 2015-03-03 - Archbishop of Bangui visits two militia leaders in prison
- 2015-02-24 - “Our country can be compared to a desert, where we must combat the temptations of the devil” says Archbishop Nzapalainga
- 2015-02-06 - "The conflict is political not religious" say three participants
- 2015-01-28 - Caritas: more funds needed for refugees from the Central African Republic
- 2015-01-14 - "Signs of hope but still too much violence, also due to the strong movement of weapons", say the Bishops
- 2015-01-13 - The situation is improving, the Bishops launch a campaign for social cohesion
- 2015-01-07 - Archbishop of Bangui threatened with death while bringing assistance to the displaced