VATICAN - The missionary world celebrates the election of Francis, a Pope close to the poor
Vatican City (Agenzia Fides) - "Pope Francis is a man of great pastoral ability of strong faith, a man of prayer and very close to the priests, the elderly, the poor, and above all, a man who emphasized the missionary commitment of the Church in our community and in our city": This is what the General Vicar of the Archdiocese of Buenos Aires, Msgr. Joaquín Sucunza, who worked at the side of card. Bergoglio for 13 years points out in a note sent to Fides Agency. The Vicar notes that "the election is a joy and a huge gift," for the Catholic community in Argentina, but also for the universal faith of the whole Catholic community, noting the joy in the missionary world, in the young churches.
Yesterday, March 13, at 7.06 p.m., a long white smoke from the chimney of the Sistine Chapel followed by the ringing bells announced to the many faithful gathered in St. Peter's Square and to those around the world, via radio, television and the Internet, the election of the new Pope, Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio, who took the name of Francis. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 14/03/2013)
- 2015-05-04 - Cardinal Filoni ordains 14 deacons from Africa and Asia: "you must have a missionary heart"
- 2015-04-29 - For a "Christian commitment" in the fight against human trafficking
- 2015-04-13 - Jubilee of Mercy: "This is a time for the Church to rediscover the meaning of the mission entrusted to her by the Lord"
- 2015-04-09 - Cardinal Filoni: Iraqi families all expect to be able to return to their homes, and we are ready to help them start over
- 2015-04-08 - Easter 2015: "Our brothers and sisters are persecuted, exiled, killed and beheaded simply because they are Christians, they are our martyrs of today"
- 2015-03-30 - The Pope: "We think of our brothers and sisters who are persecuted because they are Christians, the martyrs of our own time"
- 2015-03-27 - Cardinal Filoni returns to Iraq to express the closeness and affection of the Pope to displaced families
- 2015-03-16 - VATICAN – Pope Francis: "Our brothers' and sisters' blood is shed only because they are Christians"
- 2015-02-10 - VATICAN – World Day of the Sick: the Church runs 115 352 health care and social assistance institutes in the world
- 2015-02-04 - On February 8: "Shine a light against human trafficking"