VATICAN - The missionary world celebrates the election of Francis, a Pope close to the poor
Vatican City (Agenzia Fides) - "Pope Francis is a man of great pastoral ability of strong faith, a man of prayer and very close to the priests, the elderly, the poor, and above all, a man who emphasized the missionary commitment of the Church in our community and in our city": This is what the General Vicar of the Archdiocese of Buenos Aires, Msgr. Joaquín Sucunza, who worked at the side of card. Bergoglio for 13 years points out in a note sent to Fides Agency. The Vicar notes that "the election is a joy and a huge gift," for the Catholic community in Argentina, but also for the universal faith of the whole Catholic community, noting the joy in the missionary world, in the young churches.
Yesterday, March 13, at 7.06 p.m., a long white smoke from the chimney of the Sistine Chapel followed by the ringing bells announced to the many faithful gathered in St. Peter's Square and to those around the world, via radio, television and the Internet, the election of the new Pope, Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio, who took the name of Francis. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 14/03/2013)
- 2014-10-20 - Pope Paul VI, "a staunch supporter of the mission ad gentes"
- 2014-10-18 - VATICAN – Blessed Pope Paul VI: "The love for Missions is love for the Church, love for Christ!"
- 2014-10-13 - The memory of the missionaries, their examples, attract and inspire us to imitate their faith
- 2014-10-07 - First ever global campaign by the 160 Caritas national organisations: ending world hunger is their priority
- 2014-10-01 - The feast of St. Therese of Lisieux, Patroness of the Missions, opens the Mission Month
- 2014-09-24 - Pope's appeal to the countries of Africa affected by the ebola virus
- 2014-09-22 - Bishops, called to give "a genuine missionary impulse" to their diocesan communities
- 2014-09-13 - "Strong families are our best defense against poverty": meeting on the role of the family in the global economic crisis
- 2014-08-19 - Cardinal Filoni thanks the Pope for his prayers
- 2014-08-18 - Press release of the Patriarchate of Babylon of the Chaldeans