AFRICA/SUDAN - The oil deal between Sudan and South Sudan is a prerequisite for the implementation of the agreements of 27 September
Khartoum (Agenzia Fides) - Sudan and South Sudan have reached an agreement for the resumption of South Sudanese oil exports through Sudanese infrastructures.
The agreement reached in Addis Ababa also provides for the withdrawal of troops from Sudan and South Sudan as a demilitarized border zone within a week to defuse the tension and facilitate the resumption of oil flows. About a year ago South Sudan had blocked the export of oil via Sudan, due to a dispute tariff for use of the pipelines controlled by Khartoum.
The head of the delegation of South Sudan, Pagan Amum Akech, said that the agreement opens the way for the implementation of the cooperation agreement signed by the two Countries on September 27, aimed at resolving the various disputes that divide them (including oil , there are several border disputes and accusations of violations of their national sovereignty).
The Minister of Petroleum of South Sudan has said that oil production can be resumed within two weeks, but it will take a month for the oil to reach the international markets, due to technical reasons. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 13/03/2013)
- 2015-04-28 - Omar Hassan al-Bashir re-elected President with 94% of the votes
- 2015-04-22 - Outbreak of measles in Darfur: cases continue to multiply
- 2015-04-15 - 70 thousand bags of Carcinogenic Sugar distributed in South Darfur
- 2015-04-13 - AFRICA/SUDAN – Elections contested by the opposition begin, while tension increases with South Sudan
- 2015-02-25 - The number of homeless children, 700 000 live on the streets of the capital
- 2015-02-12 - Hunger and diseases for the displaced persons in Darfur: food, medicines and basic necessities are needed
- 2015-01-30 - Humanitarian aid denied in conflict areas: MSF forced to close activities
- 2015-01-14 - Hunger and cold temperatures continue to cause deaths in North Darfur
- 2014-12-17 - Twenty new radio stations in Darfur and South Kordofan
- 2014-12-04 - AFRICA/SUDAN – Police raid Evangelical church in Khartoum