AFRICA/SUDAN - The oil deal between Sudan and South Sudan is a prerequisite for the implementation of the agreements of 27 September
Khartoum (Agenzia Fides) - Sudan and South Sudan have reached an agreement for the resumption of South Sudanese oil exports through Sudanese infrastructures.
The agreement reached in Addis Ababa also provides for the withdrawal of troops from Sudan and South Sudan as a demilitarized border zone within a week to defuse the tension and facilitate the resumption of oil flows. About a year ago South Sudan had blocked the export of oil via Sudan, due to a dispute tariff for use of the pipelines controlled by Khartoum.
The head of the delegation of South Sudan, Pagan Amum Akech, said that the agreement opens the way for the implementation of the cooperation agreement signed by the two Countries on September 27, aimed at resolving the various disputes that divide them (including oil , there are several border disputes and accusations of violations of their national sovereignty).
The Minister of Petroleum of South Sudan has said that oil production can be resumed within two weeks, but it will take a month for the oil to reach the international markets, due to technical reasons. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 13/03/2013)
- 2014-07-21 - AFRICA/SUDAN – Sudan bans the construction of new churches
- 2014-07-14 - Stop to the building of churches by the authorities in Khartoum
- 2014-07-09 - Torrential rains worsen the living conditions of hundreds of thousands of displaced persons
- 2014-07-02 - Humanitarian crisis and lack of investment in social sectors affect 70% of children
- 2014-06-25 - Over 4,500 homeless children in the capital of South Darfur
- 2014-06-02 - "The condemnation of Mariam Yehya Ibrahim is a direct persecution of Christians " say the Sudanese Christian Churches
- 2014-05-31 - AFRICA/SUDAN – Women in refugee camps beaten and tortured
- 2014-05-26 - Christian Churches condemn the death penalty imposed on a Christian woman accused of apostasy
- 2014-05-21 - Rapes, theft and destruction against the displaced persons in the refugee camp in Zamzam
- 2014-05-14 - After the bombing of a Catholic hospital, mass displacement in Southern Kordofan