AFRICA/SUDAN - The oil deal between Sudan and South Sudan is a prerequisite for the implementation of the agreements of 27 September
Khartoum (Agenzia Fides) - Sudan and South Sudan have reached an agreement for the resumption of South Sudanese oil exports through Sudanese infrastructures.
The agreement reached in Addis Ababa also provides for the withdrawal of troops from Sudan and South Sudan as a demilitarized border zone within a week to defuse the tension and facilitate the resumption of oil flows. About a year ago South Sudan had blocked the export of oil via Sudan, due to a dispute tariff for use of the pipelines controlled by Khartoum.
The head of the delegation of South Sudan, Pagan Amum Akech, said that the agreement opens the way for the implementation of the cooperation agreement signed by the two Countries on September 27, aimed at resolving the various disputes that divide them (including oil , there are several border disputes and accusations of violations of their national sovereignty).
The Minister of Petroleum of South Sudan has said that oil production can be resumed within two weeks, but it will take a month for the oil to reach the international markets, due to technical reasons. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 13/03/2013)
- 2014-02-01 AFRICA/SUDAN - "Let us not forget the suffering of the peoples of Sudan", says the Church
- 2014-01-10 AFRICA/SUDAN - Anemia, typhoid, diarrhea and cough are the causes for thousands of deaths in South Darfur
- 2013-12-13 AFRICA/SUDAN - 25% less aid to 6 million Sudanese in difficulty
- 2013-12-12 AFRICA/SUDAN - The military hospitals refuse to treat the militiamen
- 2013-11-15 AFRICA/SUDAN - Armed militiamen attack farmers and take turns raping women farmers in North Darfur
- 2013-11-12 AFRICA/SUDAN - 7000 inhabitants in South Darfur do not have drinking water and basic services
- 2013-11-06 AFRICA/SUDAN - Air raid on a school in the area of the Nuba Mountains: people killed and wounded
- 2013-10-15 AFRICA/SUDAN - Training courses for Sudanese teachers in refugee camps in Chad
- 2013-09-27 AFRICA/SUDAN - Dozens killed in clashes in Khartoum during the protests for the rise in fuel prices
- 2013-09-26 AFRICA/SUDAN - Increasing acts of intimidation against the Church