AMERICA/UNITED STATES - Support of the African American community to the Caravan of Hope
Chicago (Agenzia Fides) - The Mexican priest Fr. Alejandro Solalinde received on March 10, the Rainbow Push Coalition support from Reverend Jesse Jackson at the "Caravan of Hope" which will tour the U.S. this spring to urge the reform of immigration law in the country. During a visit to the headquarters of the coalition, south of Chicago, the priest said he was surprised by the "strong support" expressed by members of the African-American community in favor of Central American immigrants' rights. "For me it was a surprise, and a historical response to our tragedy," said Fr. Solalinde. "The African-American community, with whom we had not had much contact, is well informed and familiar with our drama."
According to reports from a note sent to Fides, father Solalinde also informed his interlocutors about the different demonstrations against violence organized by him. The Caravan of Hope which will begin on April 29 in San Diego (California), will visit several cities (including Chicago on May 3 and 4) before concluding in Washington on May 31.
The priest also met with the Latino community in Chicago, and with representatives of the World Parliament of Religions. "It was a meeting of different environments, many of whom did not know our experience and the suffering of immigrants," said Fr. Solalinde.
According to the immigration services in the United States there are nearly 11 million undocumented immigrants.
(CE) (Agenzia Fides 11/03/2013)
- 2014-03-05 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - The Bishops on the crisis in Ukraine: "We raise our voice in defense of religious liberty"
- 2014-02-25 AMERICA/ UNITED STATES – The Church should never forget her duty to accompany immigrants towards integration
- 2014-02-13 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - American Indians: neglected and marginalized, but have great capacities
- 2014-01-29 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - President Obama: "it is urgent to reform the immigration system"
- 2014-01-15 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - Archbishop Gomez looks for support among those who do not agree on the immigration reform
- 2014-01-14 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - "They take care of our children and build our homes, but they have no rights": for a more humane approach towards immigrants
- 2014-01-13 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - The Bishops: excessive military engagement in the fight against drugs in Mexico
- 2013-10-16 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - Every day 1,400 children under 5 years of age die due to a lack of drinking water
- 2013-10-14 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - "Education cannot wait": due to conflicts about 29 million children lack education
- 2013-10-02 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - "Millions of Americans struggle to live": Bishops urgent request to the government