AMERICA/UNITED STATES - Support of the African American community to the Caravan of Hope
Chicago (Agenzia Fides) - The Mexican priest Fr. Alejandro Solalinde received on March 10, the Rainbow Push Coalition support from Reverend Jesse Jackson at the "Caravan of Hope" which will tour the U.S. this spring to urge the reform of immigration law in the country. During a visit to the headquarters of the coalition, south of Chicago, the priest said he was surprised by the "strong support" expressed by members of the African-American community in favor of Central American immigrants' rights. "For me it was a surprise, and a historical response to our tragedy," said Fr. Solalinde. "The African-American community, with whom we had not had much contact, is well informed and familiar with our drama."
According to reports from a note sent to Fides, father Solalinde also informed his interlocutors about the different demonstrations against violence organized by him. The Caravan of Hope which will begin on April 29 in San Diego (California), will visit several cities (including Chicago on May 3 and 4) before concluding in Washington on May 31.
The priest also met with the Latino community in Chicago, and with representatives of the World Parliament of Religions. "It was a meeting of different environments, many of whom did not know our experience and the suffering of immigrants," said Fr. Solalinde.
According to the immigration services in the United States there are nearly 11 million undocumented immigrants.
(CE) (Agenzia Fides 11/03/2013)
- 2013-05-10 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - "The suffering of immigrants has to stop!" says Cardinal Dolan
- 2013-04-10 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - Immigrants, Youth and reconstruction of Haiti, the aid priorities of the U.S. bishops
- 2013-04-03 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - 1.3 billion people worldwide live on less than $ 1.25 a day
- 2013-03-23 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - Immigration reform, perhaps even the support of the Pope
- 2013-03-11 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - Support of the African American community to the Caravan of Hope
- 2013-01-31 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - For the U.S. Bishops the parliamentary agreement on immigration reform is "an important first step"
- 2013-01-09 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - In California, one child out of 5 lives below the poverty line, the phenomenon is on the rise
- 2013-01-07 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - National Migration Week: to raise awareness on the 11 million undocumented persons
- 2012-12-10 AMERICA - About 300 000 children recruited for criminal activity in the world
- 2012-12-06 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - "The defense of immigrants is evangelization": the Bishop of Atlanta calls for an integral reform of immigration policy