AMERICA/UNITED STATES - Support of the African American community to the Caravan of Hope
Chicago (Agenzia Fides) - The Mexican priest Fr. Alejandro Solalinde received on March 10, the Rainbow Push Coalition support from Reverend Jesse Jackson at the "Caravan of Hope" which will tour the U.S. this spring to urge the reform of immigration law in the country. During a visit to the headquarters of the coalition, south of Chicago, the priest said he was surprised by the "strong support" expressed by members of the African-American community in favor of Central American immigrants' rights. "For me it was a surprise, and a historical response to our tragedy," said Fr. Solalinde. "The African-American community, with whom we had not had much contact, is well informed and familiar with our drama."
According to reports from a note sent to Fides, father Solalinde also informed his interlocutors about the different demonstrations against violence organized by him. The Caravan of Hope which will begin on April 29 in San Diego (California), will visit several cities (including Chicago on May 3 and 4) before concluding in Washington on May 31.
The priest also met with the Latino community in Chicago, and with representatives of the World Parliament of Religions. "It was a meeting of different environments, many of whom did not know our experience and the suffering of immigrants," said Fr. Solalinde.
According to the immigration services in the United States there are nearly 11 million undocumented immigrants.
(CE) (Agenzia Fides 11/03/2013)
- 2015-06-23 - A Mass for solidarity and to ask to stop the deportation of Haitians from Santo Domingo
- 2015-06-23 - Appeal of the UNHCR to the Dominican government: the consequences of expulsion could be devastating
- 2015-05-12 - The Bishops denounce: the immigration system has become an "inhuman industry"
- 2015-05-08 - One hundred immigrants in one day: the flow does not stop, and mostly affects families
- 2015-05-05 - Cardinal Maradiaga visits Central American migrants detained in Dilley
- 2015-04-30 - Archbishop of Baltimore: "truth will heal the wounds"
- 2015-04-10 - New appeal to the President to finally solve the problems of immigrant families
- 2015-03-30 - Little Sisters of The Poor gather for last Mass in Cleveland
- 2015-03-30 - Submitted a bill to facilitate the immigration of Middle Eastern persecuted Christians
- 2015-03-28 - The denunciation of Bishops after the visit in Texas: "Why imprison the most vulnerable?"