AMERICA/UNITED STATES - Support of the African American community to the Caravan of Hope
Chicago (Agenzia Fides) - The Mexican priest Fr. Alejandro Solalinde received on March 10, the Rainbow Push Coalition support from Reverend Jesse Jackson at the "Caravan of Hope" which will tour the U.S. this spring to urge the reform of immigration law in the country. During a visit to the headquarters of the coalition, south of Chicago, the priest said he was surprised by the "strong support" expressed by members of the African-American community in favor of Central American immigrants' rights. "For me it was a surprise, and a historical response to our tragedy," said Fr. Solalinde. "The African-American community, with whom we had not had much contact, is well informed and familiar with our drama."
According to reports from a note sent to Fides, father Solalinde also informed his interlocutors about the different demonstrations against violence organized by him. The Caravan of Hope which will begin on April 29 in San Diego (California), will visit several cities (including Chicago on May 3 and 4) before concluding in Washington on May 31.
The priest also met with the Latino community in Chicago, and with representatives of the World Parliament of Religions. "It was a meeting of different environments, many of whom did not know our experience and the suffering of immigrants," said Fr. Solalinde.
According to the immigration services in the United States there are nearly 11 million undocumented immigrants.
(CE) (Agenzia Fides 11/03/2013)
- 2014-10-24 - Millions of children and young people feel unsafe in their families
- 2014-09-22 - Waiting for the reform, migrant families continue to be divided
- 2014-09-11 - In few days 25 thousand Iraqi Chaldeans have registered in the lists to apply for a USA visa
- 2014-07-26 - "Looking for a lawyer to represent undocumented children"
- 2014-07-24 - The Bishop of Brownsville: "In the face of a humanitarian crisis, we need a humanitarian response"
- 2014-07-08 - Forum on Migration: analysis of the reality and operational proposals are being studied
- 2014-06-28 - Solidarity of Churches for the humanitarian emergency of immigrant children
- 2014-06-24 - Over 160 thousand immigrants in Texas, 37 thousand children are alone
- 2014-06-24 - Children and young immigrants in the U.S.A: "They are not seeking adventure, they are fleeing from a war"
- 2014-06-17 - Peace-building and formation of seminarians in Latin America among the 112projects funded by the U.S. Catholics