AMERICA/UNITED STATES - Support of the African American community to the Caravan of Hope
Chicago (Agenzia Fides) - The Mexican priest Fr. Alejandro Solalinde received on March 10, the Rainbow Push Coalition support from Reverend Jesse Jackson at the "Caravan of Hope" which will tour the U.S. this spring to urge the reform of immigration law in the country. During a visit to the headquarters of the coalition, south of Chicago, the priest said he was surprised by the "strong support" expressed by members of the African-American community in favor of Central American immigrants' rights. "For me it was a surprise, and a historical response to our tragedy," said Fr. Solalinde. "The African-American community, with whom we had not had much contact, is well informed and familiar with our drama."
According to reports from a note sent to Fides, father Solalinde also informed his interlocutors about the different demonstrations against violence organized by him. The Caravan of Hope which will begin on April 29 in San Diego (California), will visit several cities (including Chicago on May 3 and 4) before concluding in Washington on May 31.
The priest also met with the Latino community in Chicago, and with representatives of the World Parliament of Religions. "It was a meeting of different environments, many of whom did not know our experience and the suffering of immigrants," said Fr. Solalinde.
According to the immigration services in the United States there are nearly 11 million undocumented immigrants.
(CE) (Agenzia Fides 11/03/2013)
- 2015-03-28 - The denunciation of Bishops after the visit in Texas: "Why imprison the most vulnerable?"
- 2015-03-27 - Delegation of Bishops to visit a detention center for immigrant families
- 2015-03-27 - Assyrian Patriarch Mar Dinkha IV has passed away
- 2015-03-20 - Bishops of the diocese on the border: enough with violence and more attention towards the youth
- 2015-02-06 - The young engaged with migrants write to the Pope
- 2015-01-07 - Catholic Schools: Communities of Faith, Knowledge and Service
- 2015-01-05 - National Migration Week 2015: "We are one family"
- 2014-12-18 - Bishops: not only diplomatic relations with Cuba, but also cooperation in various fields
- 2014-11-21 - The Church on the measures for immigrants: "We have a long history of welcoming..."
- 2014-11-20 - 2 and a half million children live in shelters, on the streets or in cars