AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Cardinal Urosa in Rome at the Mass for Chavez: "Look ahead and seek peace"
Rome (Agenzia Fides) - The Archbishop of Caracas, Cardinal Jorge Urosa Savino, yesterday celebrated a memorial Mass in Rome for the president of Venezuela, Hugo Chavez, who died on March 5. During his homily the Cardinal urged all citizens of his country to remain "united and in peace" after the death of the Bolivarian leader. The Mass, considered by the cardinal as an "act of reconciliation", was celebrated in the Church of Santa Maria ai Monti. It was attended by many Venezuelans and Latin Americans to "pray for the repose of the president", who died on March 5 in the military hospital in Caracas after a long illness. The Cardinal also recalled that "in difficult and peaceful times, several Bishops were close to Chavez."
As is known, in his 14 years in power, the Venezuelan leader often had difficult relations with the Catholic Church, but in recent years Chavez became closer to his Catholic faith.
At the end of the Mass, Cardinal Urosa Savino remarked: "We must look ahead and seek peace and understanding. The progress of a country cannot be obtained with an attitude of permanent confrontation: we all look ahead for the good of the country." When asked about the next election of the Pope, Cardinal Urosa replied: "There are a number of Latin American Cardinals with great personality, but the important thing is not where the Pope is from, but to serve Jesus Christ and to work for the spreading of the Gospel." (CE) (Agenzia Fides 09/03/2013)
- 2015-09-01 - The Bishops on the situation of conflict with Colombia: "Human rights are the same for all"
- 2015-08-12 - No social communications no democracy Bishop Lückert León speaks about the media
- 2015-08-11 - Drugs are lacking in the country, some use those for animals
- 2015-08-07 - There are 10,000 participants attending the III Youth National Meeting
- 2015-08-06 - National meeting among the indigenous communities for the protection of human rights
- 2015-07-21 - The body of a Franciscan who died a few days has been found
- 2015-07-20 - Games, songs, dances: a feast to celebrate children
- 2015-07-10 - Catholic Bishops: "The Christian experience must have social consequences"
- 2015-07-07 - Mgr. Padrón: "Corruption, repression, popular discontent characterize the present"
- 2015-07-06 - 35,000 people have been isolated due to floods, other 25,000 at risk