AFRICA/KENYA - Waiting for the election results; the Bishops appeal for calm
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - "We appeal to Kenyans to remain calm " while awaiting the election results, say the Bishops of Kenya, where count operations of the legislative and presidential elections held on March 4 are being carried out. According to the latest figures it seems there will be a runoff between Uhuru Kenyatta, and former Prime Minister Raila Odinga.
In a statement published on the website of the Episcopal Conference of Kenya, the Bishops congratulate Kenyans "for their peaceful conduct before, during the elections and even now as we await for the release of final poll results." The Bishops, however, recall the victims of the only episodes of severe violence which took place in Mombasa on the eve of the election: 17 people, including nine Police Offers who were killed in two separate attacks in the district of Changamwe, on the outskirts of Mombasa and the nearby town of Kilifi.
"We are saddened by the killings of patriotic Police Officers who were killed in the line of duty," said the message. "We condemn the act and take this opportunity to send our heartfelt condolences to their families, friends and the government for this uncertain and unfortunate loss of lives. We urge the government to ensure that the culprits of this criminal act are brought to book as soon as possible." (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 08/03/2013)
- 2015-11-25 - Bishops of Kenya: "everything is ready to welcome Pope Francis"
- 2015-11-24 - AFRICA/KENYA – Nairobi: conference on Land grabbing and just governance organized by African Bishops
- 2015-11-24 - The Bishop of Maralal: "May Pope Francis' message of reconciliation help us to overcome tribal violence"
- 2015-11-21 - AFRICA/KENYA – The children of Holy Childhood will meet the Pope
- 2015-11-09 - The Bishops: "The Pope’s visit invites us to reflect on the values of the nation"
- 2015-11-05 - "Pope Francis' visit is a blessing and an opportunity for Kenyans"
- 2015-11-03 - "Curtain up for the children of the Little Prince": A theater school in the slum in Kibera
- 2015-11-03 - Bishops' new appeal: "Let us join together as a nation on the occasion of Pope Francis' arrival"
- 2015-10-27 - UN programme to combat poverty and marginalisation and guarantee respect for the rights of women and children
- 2015-10-26 - “The Bishops are certain the visit of Pope Francis will reinforce national unity