AFRICA/KENYA - Waiting for the election results; the Bishops appeal for calm
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - "We appeal to Kenyans to remain calm " while awaiting the election results, say the Bishops of Kenya, where count operations of the legislative and presidential elections held on March 4 are being carried out. According to the latest figures it seems there will be a runoff between Uhuru Kenyatta, and former Prime Minister Raila Odinga.
In a statement published on the website of the Episcopal Conference of Kenya, the Bishops congratulate Kenyans "for their peaceful conduct before, during the elections and even now as we await for the release of final poll results." The Bishops, however, recall the victims of the only episodes of severe violence which took place in Mombasa on the eve of the election: 17 people, including nine Police Offers who were killed in two separate attacks in the district of Changamwe, on the outskirts of Mombasa and the nearby town of Kilifi.
"We are saddened by the killings of patriotic Police Officers who were killed in the line of duty," said the message. "We condemn the act and take this opportunity to send our heartfelt condolences to their families, friends and the government for this uncertain and unfortunate loss of lives. We urge the government to ensure that the culprits of this criminal act are brought to book as soon as possible." (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 08/03/2013)
- 2015-08-17 - AFRICA/KENYA – Concern for reported destructive behaviour in local Catholic schools
- 2015-08-06 - By 2020, 20 Catholic radio stations will be created to cover the entire territory of Kenya
- 2015-07-30 - AFRICA/KENYA – Bishops call for general ‘boycot’ of upcoming vaccination campaign until vaccine is tested
- 2015-07-08 - More than 500 deaths in 150 terrorist attacks in the last three years
- 2015-07-07 - "The project of the Shabaab to liberate the north-east from non-Somalis continues" said the coadjutor Bishop of Garissa
- 2015-06-23 - The exhortation of Mgr. Pante to 600,000 refugees welcomed in Kenya: "Do not lose hope"
- 2015-06-15 - Even two Westerners among the Shabaab killed in an assault on a military camp
- 2015-06-10 - A shelter for 129 small children with Aids
- 2015-05-30 - Greater awareness is needed for the treatment of cholera and diarrhea
- 2015-05-20 - AFRICA/KENYA – First beatification in Kenya: the Italian missionary Sr. Irene, "mother all mercy and love"