AFRICA/KENYA - Waiting for the election results; the Bishops appeal for calm
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - "We appeal to Kenyans to remain calm " while awaiting the election results, say the Bishops of Kenya, where count operations of the legislative and presidential elections held on March 4 are being carried out. According to the latest figures it seems there will be a runoff between Uhuru Kenyatta, and former Prime Minister Raila Odinga.
In a statement published on the website of the Episcopal Conference of Kenya, the Bishops congratulate Kenyans "for their peaceful conduct before, during the elections and even now as we await for the release of final poll results." The Bishops, however, recall the victims of the only episodes of severe violence which took place in Mombasa on the eve of the election: 17 people, including nine Police Offers who were killed in two separate attacks in the district of Changamwe, on the outskirts of Mombasa and the nearby town of Kilifi.
"We are saddened by the killings of patriotic Police Officers who were killed in the line of duty," said the message. "We condemn the act and take this opportunity to send our heartfelt condolences to their families, friends and the government for this uncertain and unfortunate loss of lives. We urge the government to ensure that the culprits of this criminal act are brought to book as soon as possible." (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 08/03/2013)
- 2014-07-23 - Works begin on a new center for disabled children in the village of Kandisi
- 2014-07-18 - The First Lady praised the Church's role in improving the lives of millions of Kenyans
- 2014-07-17 - The army have discovered four fields where the perpetrators of the attacks in the coastal region hide
- 2014-07-15 - The perpetrators of the attacks against some villages on the coast have been identified
- 2014-07-09 - Bishops' appeal: "The media play a pivotal role in the Country"
- 2014-06-26 - The governor of Lamu arrested for the attacks on coastal villages
- 2014-06-24 - Clean water and health care to reduce mortality among the most vulnerable
- 2014-06-24 - Christian leaders: "call off political rallies, demonstrations, one has to work to stop violence"
- 2014-06-18 - "The two assaults committed by Kenyans and foreigners, not by Shabaab", says the Bishop of Malindi
- 2014-06-17 - New assault against a Kenyan village, the commando has probably taken women and children hostage