AFRICA/KENYA - Waiting for the election results; the Bishops appeal for calm
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - "We appeal to Kenyans to remain calm " while awaiting the election results, say the Bishops of Kenya, where count operations of the legislative and presidential elections held on March 4 are being carried out. According to the latest figures it seems there will be a runoff between Uhuru Kenyatta, and former Prime Minister Raila Odinga.
In a statement published on the website of the Episcopal Conference of Kenya, the Bishops congratulate Kenyans "for their peaceful conduct before, during the elections and even now as we await for the release of final poll results." The Bishops, however, recall the victims of the only episodes of severe violence which took place in Mombasa on the eve of the election: 17 people, including nine Police Offers who were killed in two separate attacks in the district of Changamwe, on the outskirts of Mombasa and the nearby town of Kilifi.
"We are saddened by the killings of patriotic Police Officers who were killed in the line of duty," said the message. "We condemn the act and take this opportunity to send our heartfelt condolences to their families, friends and the government for this uncertain and unfortunate loss of lives. We urge the government to ensure that the culprits of this criminal act are brought to book as soon as possible." (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 08/03/2013)
- 2015-02-17 - Anti-tetanus vaccine final test: 30% contains birth control factor
- 2015-02-12 - Attorney-General proposes a meeting to review the proposed regulations on religious groups
- 2015-02-06 - "No increase in fees for high schools" says the Church
- 2015-01-20 - Schoolchildren abused of their rights
- 2015-01-14 - Tetanus vaccine: the first tests deny that it can be used for birth control
- 2014-12-30 - Anti-Christian attacks: Christian leaders urge the faithful to forgiveness
- 2014-12-23 - State and Church work together to help the people of Lake Turkana
- 2014-12-18 - Clashes among MPs on anti-terrorism law could put fundamental freedoms at risk
- 2014-12-12 - Christian leaders ask Muslims "for a deliberate and concerted effort" to stop the violence of the Shabaab
- 2014-12-05 - AFRICA/KENYA – Bishop of Kakamega resigns, successor appointed