AMERICA/NICARAGUA - No to the exploitation of gold in Matagalpa, the clergy’s statement
Matagalpa (Agenzia Fides) - The Diocese of Matagalpa with its Bishop His Exc. Mgr. Rolando Alvarez Lagos, is opposed to the proposed opening of gold mines in the area. The position was clarified in a statement presented at a press conference on March 6. The statement was read by Father Pablo Espinoza pastor of Our Lady of Fatima in the municipality of Rancho Grande, where mining companies want to settle down at all costs and take advantage of the fertile lands of the municipality.
In the statement, the diocesan clergy of Matagalpa, expresses alarm on the opening of gold mines in the area "that threaten the ecological balance and the future of generations to come," and stresses "the need to preserve the earth as a common home and protect the people, whose opinion is ignored, even when they urged the government to deny authorization of mining works in Rancho Grande and the rest of the diocese. "
Nicaragua has become a destination for several mining companies because in recent years it has been discovered that in a relatively quick and easy manner gold mines of other minerals can be opened. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 08/03/2013)
- 2013-12-04 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - A hundred years of the ecclesiastical Province: a feast with our eyes on the country’s situation
- 2013-11-23 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - "Nicaragua does not need any Constitution reform", the Bishops say
- 2013-11-13 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - Year of Faith: "We must all work for conversion"
- 2013-11-12 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - The Catholic Church invited to the consultations on the constitutional reform
- 2013-11-07 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - Archbishop of Managua’s appeal to prevent dengue
- 2013-10-29 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - Closing of the Year of Faith, praying for peace, but churches are empty because of fear
- 2013-10-21 AMERICA/NICARAGUA – Devious persecution against the Church: the complaint of the Bishop of Esteli
- 2013-10-16 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - A city isolated by the miners, Mgr. René Sándigo at work to appease the conflict
- 2013-10-15 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - "Weapons are not the tool to claim rights" warns Mgr. Herrera after the violence in rural areas
- 2013-10-08 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - Alarming figures on children who are exploited and sexually abused