AMERICA/NICARAGUA - No to the exploitation of gold in Matagalpa, the clergy’s statement
Matagalpa (Agenzia Fides) - The Diocese of Matagalpa with its Bishop His Exc. Mgr. Rolando Alvarez Lagos, is opposed to the proposed opening of gold mines in the area. The position was clarified in a statement presented at a press conference on March 6. The statement was read by Father Pablo Espinoza pastor of Our Lady of Fatima in the municipality of Rancho Grande, where mining companies want to settle down at all costs and take advantage of the fertile lands of the municipality.
In the statement, the diocesan clergy of Matagalpa, expresses alarm on the opening of gold mines in the area "that threaten the ecological balance and the future of generations to come," and stresses "the need to preserve the earth as a common home and protect the people, whose opinion is ignored, even when they urged the government to deny authorization of mining works in Rancho Grande and the rest of the diocese. "
Nicaragua has become a destination for several mining companies because in recent years it has been discovered that in a relatively quick and easy manner gold mines of other minerals can be opened. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 08/03/2013)
- 2014-12-10 - Church-Government meeting on the Interoceanic Canal
- 2014-12-05 - AMERICA/NICARAGUA – Electoral certificate renewal: Bishops speak out
- 2014-11-26 - The Bishops of Central America gather: Communication in the culture of encounter
- 2014-11-25 - AMERICA/NICARAGUA – Transoceanic canal: Cardinal Brenes calls for transparency
- 2014-11-24 - Concern for the construction of the Canal: "I will not leave you alone" ensures the Bishop of Granada
- 2014-11-17 - The Church on the mega project of the Interoceanic Canal: "Everyone must be heard"
- 2014-10-01 - Initiatives and projects for 1400 child workers in Honduras and Nicaragua
- 2014-09-17 - AMERICA/NICARAGUA – The Bishops on Law 779: the reform is urgent, the Church is not the auxiliary of the police
- 2014-08-19 - "Assist families but without interfering in their private lives", said the Bishop of Matagalpa
- 2014-07-30 - The country awaits a word of encouragement from the Bishops