AMERICA/NICARAGUA - No to the exploitation of gold in Matagalpa, the clergy’s statement
Matagalpa (Agenzia Fides) - The Diocese of Matagalpa with its Bishop His Exc. Mgr. Rolando Alvarez Lagos, is opposed to the proposed opening of gold mines in the area. The position was clarified in a statement presented at a press conference on March 6. The statement was read by Father Pablo Espinoza pastor of Our Lady of Fatima in the municipality of Rancho Grande, where mining companies want to settle down at all costs and take advantage of the fertile lands of the municipality.
In the statement, the diocesan clergy of Matagalpa, expresses alarm on the opening of gold mines in the area "that threaten the ecological balance and the future of generations to come," and stresses "the need to preserve the earth as a common home and protect the people, whose opinion is ignored, even when they urged the government to deny authorization of mining works in Rancho Grande and the rest of the diocese. "
Nicaragua has become a destination for several mining companies because in recent years it has been discovered that in a relatively quick and easy manner gold mines of other minerals can be opened. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 08/03/2013)
- 2014-04-08 - Pastor killed: he was "a charismatic, sociable, cheerful priest, he inspired young people to follow Jesus Christ"
- 2014-03-26 - AMERICA/NICARAGUA – The government of Ortega ready to dialogue with the Church
- 2014-03-20 - AMERICA/NICARAGUA – Dialogue is closer and closer: President Ortega has received the Bishops’ letter
- 2014-03-18 - Cardinal Brenes: "the Church is ready to dialogue with the President"
- 2014-03-12 - Full availability of Bishops to dialogue with the government on issues of national interest
- 2014-01-22 - A human life is worth more than anything else
- 2014-01-15 - The "Missionary Jubilee Year in the family" begins, on the feast of the Black Christ
- 2013-12-19 - National dialogue to find solutions concerning the serious problem of prisons
- 2013-12-04 - A hundred years of the ecclesiastical Province: a feast with our eyes on the country’s situation
- 2013-11-23 - "Nicaragua does not need any Constitution reform", the Bishops say