AMERICA/NICARAGUA - No to the exploitation of gold in Matagalpa, the clergy’s statement
Matagalpa (Agenzia Fides) - The Diocese of Matagalpa with its Bishop His Exc. Mgr. Rolando Alvarez Lagos, is opposed to the proposed opening of gold mines in the area. The position was clarified in a statement presented at a press conference on March 6. The statement was read by Father Pablo Espinoza pastor of Our Lady of Fatima in the municipality of Rancho Grande, where mining companies want to settle down at all costs and take advantage of the fertile lands of the municipality.
In the statement, the diocesan clergy of Matagalpa, expresses alarm on the opening of gold mines in the area "that threaten the ecological balance and the future of generations to come," and stresses "the need to preserve the earth as a common home and protect the people, whose opinion is ignored, even when they urged the government to deny authorization of mining works in Rancho Grande and the rest of the diocese. "
Nicaragua has become a destination for several mining companies because in recent years it has been discovered that in a relatively quick and easy manner gold mines of other minerals can be opened. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 08/03/2013)
- 2015-07-16 - Nearly two million Central American children are undernourished
- 2015-07-14 - Two children and a woman killed by mistake by the police; Mgr. Baez calls for justice
- 2015-06-30 - "We are losing the values and respect for life", warns Cardinal Brenes
- 2015-06-22 - Two years after the attack against the elderly, the case has not yet been solved
- 2015-06-15 - Still controversy over the transoceanic canal; Mgr. Baez "more transparency is needed"
- 2015-06-03 - AMERICA/NICARAGUA – Drought continues: the population without water and crops
- 2015-05-05 - "Informed citizenry is able to build a just society", says Msg. Baez
- 2015-03-27 - Group of Spanish Catholic volunteers give support to Nicaraguan children
- 2015-03-20 - Project which involves women to bring electricity to poor communities
- 2015-03-09 - Lent: journey of liberation to fight indifference and selfishness