AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Death of Chavez: Cardinal Urosa Savino will celebrate Mass for the repose in Rome
Caracas (Agenzia Fides) - Cardinal Jorge Urosa Savino, Archbishop of Caracas, will celebrate a "Mass" in honor of the late President of Venezuela Hugo Rafael Chavez Frias in Rome, where he is to attend the conclave that will elect a new pope.
In a statement sent to Fides, "Cardinal Jorge Urosa Savino, Archbishop of Caracas, will celebrate a Mass for the funeral in Rome, in a place and date to be announced, and calls on all Venezuelans who want to participate in a religious ceremony to pray for President Chavez," who died yesterday, March 5 at the military hospital in Caracas.
The Archbishop expressed his "condolences" to the family of the late President, and urged the authorities "to apply the mechanisms provided for by the Constitution" and all sectors of society to promote "calm and harmony of the people." "In particular, it is necessary to exclude all forms of violence," he added.
In another note sent to Fides on the situation in Caracas, it states that the Cardinal’s request, unfortunately, has not yet been heard by the "Chavistas": in fact, around the military hospital some journalists of a multimedia Colombian group were attacked, beaten and threatened between screams and shots. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 06/03/2013)
- 2015-02-27 - The Bishops: "Stop murderous violence!"
- 2015-02-25 - More violence and protests: 6 dead in six days of demonstrations
- 2015-02-24 - Growing tension in the capital, Cardinal Urosa denounces murder of 3 students
- 2015-02-20 - Police arrest Mayor of Caracas, for Archbishop Lückert “proof of dictatorship ”
- 2015-01-31 - Four churches attacked in Mérida
- 2015-01-30 - Mgr. Parra robbed during a parish meeting: "Money is spent on many things, but not on safety"
- 2015-01-13 - Dialogue to end the crisis: the exhortation of the Episcopal Conference
- 2015-01-12 - Shops are empty: Cardinal Urosa calls on the government to act quickly and urges to remain calm
- 2015-01-08 - AMERICA/VENEZUELA – Assembly of Bishops: dialogue to end the crisis and the necessity to find agreed solutions
- 2014-12-06 - Poverty, few infrastructures and precarious preventive measures: fertile terrain for Chikungunya virus