AMERICA/PANAMA - "Do not give support to candidates who do not sign the Electoral Ethics Pact" insists the Church
Panama (Agenzia Fides) - The Catholic Church has re-launched its appeal to all political parties to sign the Panamanian electoral ethical pact to prevent violence and ensure peaceful and transparent elections in May 2014 (see Fides 31/01/2013). The last date of signature expires on March 6.
His Exc. Mgr. José Domingo Ulloa, Archbishop of Panama, one of the main supporters of the pact, insisted that the signing of this document, prepared by the Panamanian Episcopal Conference, and submitted through the Commission for Justice and Peace, is a means to create a climate of trust, security and electoral transparency.
The Archbishop was very direct and determined by inviting the citizens to refrain from providing support to candidates who are more interested in destroying or smearing the opponent and to support series proposals for the common good. He also urged the media and the civil authorities to commit themselves to creating an electoral environment where the respect of human dignity prevails. The ruling party has not yet signed the pact. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 05/03/2013)
- 2015-10-13 - 200 children working in the fields have been redeemed
- 2015-10-01 - Mgr. Aguilar: "The government must stop gambling because it impoverishes families"
- 2015-09-07 - Mgr. Ulloa encourages inmates: "Imprisonment is not the same as exclusion"
- 2015-07-07 - Plenary Assembly of Bishops: defense of marriage, family and creation, reconciliation, justice and corruption
- 2015-06-30 - Cardinal Lacunza: "despite scandals and corruption, we have to believe in justice"
- 2015-03-24 - Summit of the Americas: the Vatican Secretary of State will be present, for the first time
- 2015-02-23 - “We must work for the poor”: Cardinal Lacunza says on the feast of Cristo de Atalaya
- 2014-12-19 - Even Cuba will attend the Summit of the Americas: a dream come true
- 2014-12-16 - Last round of by-elections, the local Church sends observers to polling stations
- 2014-08-04 - First Congress on the Family "source of social wealth"