AMERICA/PANAMA - "Do not give support to candidates who do not sign the Electoral Ethics Pact" insists the Church
Panama (Agenzia Fides) - The Catholic Church has re-launched its appeal to all political parties to sign the Panamanian electoral ethical pact to prevent violence and ensure peaceful and transparent elections in May 2014 (see Fides 31/01/2013). The last date of signature expires on March 6.
His Exc. Mgr. José Domingo Ulloa, Archbishop of Panama, one of the main supporters of the pact, insisted that the signing of this document, prepared by the Panamanian Episcopal Conference, and submitted through the Commission for Justice and Peace, is a means to create a climate of trust, security and electoral transparency.
The Archbishop was very direct and determined by inviting the citizens to refrain from providing support to candidates who are more interested in destroying or smearing the opponent and to support series proposals for the common good. He also urged the media and the civil authorities to commit themselves to creating an electoral environment where the respect of human dignity prevails. The ruling party has not yet signed the pact. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 05/03/2013)
- 2014-02-14 AMERICA/PANAMA - Conclusion of the Jubilee for the 500th anniversary of Santa Maria La Antigua, the first Church of the continent
- 2014-01-10 AMERICA/PANAMA - "An inclusive democracy for the dignity of all the people in Panama": the Assembly of Bishops calls on people to vote on May 4
- 2013-11-25 AMERICA/PANAMA - Religious leaders’ appeal to stop violence against children and adolescents
- 2013-10-31 AMERICA/PANAMA - Priest killed in broad daylight in front of the Bishop's house
- 2013-10-24 AMERICA/PANAMA - Education, health care and food for children belonging to poor communities
- 2013-10-16 AMERICA/PANAMA - The Church ready to mediate between the government and doctors on strike
- 2013-10-10 AMERICA/PANAMA – Doctors on strike stop the country, the mediation of the Church is requested
- 2013-09-17 AMERICA/PANAMA - The deaths of poor children are 5 times higher in Latin America than in the rest of the world
- 2013-07-12 AMERICA/PANAMA - "Defender who does not defend", scandal in the country, the Church's intervention
- 2013-03-09 AMERICA/PANAMA - The "Electoral Ethics Pact" promoted by the Church signed by the parties, not by the government