AMERICA/HONDURAS - "The participation of citizens in political life, frees people from violence," the Bishops’ message
Tegucigalpa (Agenzia Fides) - The Episcopal Conference of Honduras has launched an appeal to work for reconciliation and to "overcome the divisions and conflicts that weaken us against our real enemies: corruption, injustice, deception, abuse of power, inequality, impunity, misunderstandings, marginalization, impoverishment and everything that we could have won if we had lived together and reconciled." So we read in the final communiqué issued at the end of the Ordinary Assembly of Bishops.
While the Country is preparing for the presidential elections, the Bishops have re-launched the appeal for a responsible citizen participation in the electoral process. "The participation of citizens in political life is the force that helps to free people from the slavery caused by violence, economic crisis, unemployment, uncontrolled rising price of food and primary consumer goods," says the text.
The document was published on February 15, but is continually cited by local media in preparation for the presidential elections on November 10. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 05/03/2013)
- 2014-11-27 - Violence against women decreases, but there is still an impressive number of cases
- 2014-10-23 - A new location of the detention center in San Pedro Sula for the sake of prisoners
- 2014-10-22 - The right to food for 700,000 people suffering hunger: it is not food that is lacking, but justice
- 2014-10-13 - "Caminando con amor": 5,000 pairs of shoes have been distributed for children at risk
- 2014-08-19 - The church calls on the authorities to change the situation in prisons
- 2014-07-23 - The Bishop of Choluteca: 5000 people are forced to put their lives at risk in mines every day
- 2014-07-02 - Campaign in schools in favor of children on the issue of responsibility
- 2014-06-23 - It is time to take action! More than 13 thousand children and young Hondurans at the U.S. Border
- 2014-06-13 - Honour of the Congress to Bishop Emiliani Sánchez for his social contribution
- 2014-05-15 - Violence against children who suffer abuse and harassment continues