AMERICA/HONDURAS - "The participation of citizens in political life, frees people from violence," the Bishops’ message
Tegucigalpa (Agenzia Fides) - The Episcopal Conference of Honduras has launched an appeal to work for reconciliation and to "overcome the divisions and conflicts that weaken us against our real enemies: corruption, injustice, deception, abuse of power, inequality, impunity, misunderstandings, marginalization, impoverishment and everything that we could have won if we had lived together and reconciled." So we read in the final communiqué issued at the end of the Ordinary Assembly of Bishops.
While the Country is preparing for the presidential elections, the Bishops have re-launched the appeal for a responsible citizen participation in the electoral process. "The participation of citizens in political life is the force that helps to free people from the slavery caused by violence, economic crisis, unemployment, uncontrolled rising price of food and primary consumer goods," says the text.
The document was published on February 15, but is continually cited by local media in preparation for the presidential elections on November 10. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 05/03/2013)
- 2014-04-16 - Appeal to clarify the murder of an employee of Radio Progreso
- 2014-03-11 - Criminal gangs train children to handle firearms
- 2014-02-10 - Recognition proposal for the intense social work carried out by the Auxiliary Bishop of the Diocese of San Pedro Sula
- 2014-01-20 - 3,800 children and young people killed in the last four years
- 2014-01-16 - In order to reintegrate into society, ex-prisoners form a solidarity group
- 2014-01-13 - Sexual abuse and prostitution per 3000 girls between 12 to 17 years of age
- 2013-11-21 - "A story of injustice and inequality, it is time for a change": ready for Sunday's elections
- 2013-11-19 - "Vote to have transparent and honest politicians"; 51% of voters are women
- 2013-10-11 - "Children in Christ, firm in Faith", 20,000 letters to the Pope for the National Day of Missionary Childhood
- 2013-10-11 - Confidence in the future of the country, the Bishops call for a free and responsible election