AMERICA/HONDURAS - "Do not forget the poor," the church calls for new social order
Tegucigalpa (Agenzia Fides) - "Poverty should be regarded as a social evil that demeans the person. Even more serious, in Honduras, poverty, leading to the "manipulation" and the "enslavement" of the people," said the editorial of the weekly Fides magazine sent to our agency. In its Lenten reflection the Catholic Church asks therefore "not to forget the poor."
The article points out that poverty in Honduras grew by 5% last year therefore "an increase in production and a more equitable distribution of wealth" is necessary.
"What Honduras needs to overcome underdevelopment is the creation of new structures that underpin social, political and economic order, in which lawlessness in the country must disappear. Only then a harmonious and healthy life is possible in society," says the text.
"Solidarity exists when conditions are created for the integral development of the person and one works for the common good," the editorial of Fides concludes.
According to data from the local press in Honduras, 75% of the poor live on a dollar a day (20 lempiras), and live largely in rural areas. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 04/03/2013)
- 2013-05-08 AMERICA/HONDURAS - The Banda Calle 18 is willing to sign a peace pact, waiting for the government's response
- 2013-05-07 AMERICA/HONDURAS - "Stop weapons," says the Church in the Country with the highest murder rate in the world
- 2013-05-03 AMERICA/HONDURAS - Also in Honduras the aim is to reach a truce between gangs following the example of El Salvador
- 2013-03-21 AMERICA/HONDURAS - "March for Peace", a traditional Via Crucis to stop the violence in the country
- 2013-03-15 AMERICA/HONDURAS - The Pastoral Care of Migrants also involves the parishes
- 2013-03-05 AMERICA/HONDURAS - "The participation of citizens in political life, frees people from violence," the Bishops’ message
- 2013-03-04 AMERICA/HONDURAS - "Do not forget the poor," the church calls for new social order
- 2013-02-21 AMERICA/HONDURAS - 520 women murdered in 2012
- 2013-02-12 AMERICA/HONDURAS - After 438 years the parish of Carmel comes back to life
- 2013-01-25 AMERICA/HONDURAS - Joint project for families living in extreme poverty