AMERICA/HONDURAS - "Do not forget the poor," the church calls for new social order
Tegucigalpa (Agenzia Fides) - "Poverty should be regarded as a social evil that demeans the person. Even more serious, in Honduras, poverty, leading to the "manipulation" and the "enslavement" of the people," said the editorial of the weekly Fides magazine sent to our agency. In its Lenten reflection the Catholic Church asks therefore "not to forget the poor."
The article points out that poverty in Honduras grew by 5% last year therefore "an increase in production and a more equitable distribution of wealth" is necessary.
"What Honduras needs to overcome underdevelopment is the creation of new structures that underpin social, political and economic order, in which lawlessness in the country must disappear. Only then a harmonious and healthy life is possible in society," says the text.
"Solidarity exists when conditions are created for the integral development of the person and one works for the common good," the editorial of Fides concludes.
According to data from the local press in Honduras, 75% of the poor live on a dollar a day (20 lempiras), and live largely in rural areas. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 04/03/2013)
- 2015-10-27 - Bishop Emiliani encourages “Honduras can do it, can stand up, can react”
- 2015-10-06 - Honduran Community says goodbye to candles and "dirty" electricity
- 2015-10-02 - Honduran Missionary receives an award for human rights
- 2015-09-23 - Mgr. Emiliani denounces the "violent reactions in the face of any situation"
- 2015-09-21 - "Honduras is sick of hate", warns Cardinal Rodriguez Maradiaga
- 2015-09-09 - Children resist famine thanks to school snacks
- 2015-07-17 - Sexual abuse on children have repercussions in adulthood
- 2015-07-15 - A new ward for children suffering from dengue and chikungunya
- 2015-07-15 - Campaign of the diocese of San Pedro Sula: "An honest man is not corrupt"
- 2015-07-06 - Still demonstrations against corruption, while other scandals come to light