AMERICA/HONDURAS - "Do not forget the poor," the church calls for new social order
Tegucigalpa (Agenzia Fides) - "Poverty should be regarded as a social evil that demeans the person. Even more serious, in Honduras, poverty, leading to the "manipulation" and the "enslavement" of the people," said the editorial of the weekly Fides magazine sent to our agency. In its Lenten reflection the Catholic Church asks therefore "not to forget the poor."
The article points out that poverty in Honduras grew by 5% last year therefore "an increase in production and a more equitable distribution of wealth" is necessary.
"What Honduras needs to overcome underdevelopment is the creation of new structures that underpin social, political and economic order, in which lawlessness in the country must disappear. Only then a harmonious and healthy life is possible in society," says the text.
"Solidarity exists when conditions are created for the integral development of the person and one works for the common good," the editorial of Fides concludes.
According to data from the local press in Honduras, 75% of the poor live on a dollar a day (20 lempiras), and live largely in rural areas. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 04/03/2013)
- 2014-07-23 - The Bishop of Choluteca: 5000 people are forced to put their lives at risk in mines every day
- 2014-07-02 - Campaign in schools in favor of children on the issue of responsibility
- 2014-06-23 - It is time to take action! More than 13 thousand children and young Hondurans at the U.S. Border
- 2014-06-13 - Honour of the Congress to Bishop Emiliani Sánchez for his social contribution
- 2014-05-15 - Violence against children who suffer abuse and harassment continues
- 2014-05-13 - Condemnation of the Church for the murder of children, violence does not stop in the country
- 2014-04-30 - Femicide continues to spread: nearly 4000 women were killed between 2002 and 2013
- 2014-04-16 - Appeal to clarify the murder of an employee of Radio Progreso
- 2014-03-11 - Criminal gangs train children to handle firearms
- 2014-02-10 - Recognition proposal for the intense social work carried out by the Auxiliary Bishop of the Diocese of San Pedro Sula