AMERICA/HONDURAS - "Do not forget the poor," the church calls for new social order
Tegucigalpa (Agenzia Fides) - "Poverty should be regarded as a social evil that demeans the person. Even more serious, in Honduras, poverty, leading to the "manipulation" and the "enslavement" of the people," said the editorial of the weekly Fides magazine sent to our agency. In its Lenten reflection the Catholic Church asks therefore "not to forget the poor."
The article points out that poverty in Honduras grew by 5% last year therefore "an increase in production and a more equitable distribution of wealth" is necessary.
"What Honduras needs to overcome underdevelopment is the creation of new structures that underpin social, political and economic order, in which lawlessness in the country must disappear. Only then a harmonious and healthy life is possible in society," says the text.
"Solidarity exists when conditions are created for the integral development of the person and one works for the common good," the editorial of Fides concludes.
According to data from the local press in Honduras, 75% of the poor live on a dollar a day (20 lempiras), and live largely in rural areas. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 04/03/2013)
- 2014-04-16 - Appeal to clarify the murder of an employee of Radio Progreso
- 2014-03-11 - Criminal gangs train children to handle firearms
- 2014-02-10 - Recognition proposal for the intense social work carried out by the Auxiliary Bishop of the Diocese of San Pedro Sula
- 2014-01-20 - 3,800 children and young people killed in the last four years
- 2014-01-16 - In order to reintegrate into society, ex-prisoners form a solidarity group
- 2014-01-13 - Sexual abuse and prostitution per 3000 girls between 12 to 17 years of age
- 2013-11-21 - "A story of injustice and inequality, it is time for a change": ready for Sunday's elections
- 2013-11-19 - "Vote to have transparent and honest politicians"; 51% of voters are women
- 2013-10-11 - "Children in Christ, firm in Faith", 20,000 letters to the Pope for the National Day of Missionary Childhood
- 2013-10-11 - Confidence in the future of the country, the Bishops call for a free and responsible election