AMERICA/HONDURAS - "Do not forget the poor," the church calls for new social order
Tegucigalpa (Agenzia Fides) - "Poverty should be regarded as a social evil that demeans the person. Even more serious, in Honduras, poverty, leading to the "manipulation" and the "enslavement" of the people," said the editorial of the weekly Fides magazine sent to our agency. In its Lenten reflection the Catholic Church asks therefore "not to forget the poor."
The article points out that poverty in Honduras grew by 5% last year therefore "an increase in production and a more equitable distribution of wealth" is necessary.
"What Honduras needs to overcome underdevelopment is the creation of new structures that underpin social, political and economic order, in which lawlessness in the country must disappear. Only then a harmonious and healthy life is possible in society," says the text.
"Solidarity exists when conditions are created for the integral development of the person and one works for the common good," the editorial of Fides concludes.
According to data from the local press in Honduras, 75% of the poor live on a dollar a day (20 lempiras), and live largely in rural areas. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 04/03/2013)
- 2014-11-27 - Violence against women decreases, but there is still an impressive number of cases
- 2014-10-23 - A new location of the detention center in San Pedro Sula for the sake of prisoners
- 2014-10-22 - The right to food for 700,000 people suffering hunger: it is not food that is lacking, but justice
- 2014-10-13 - "Caminando con amor": 5,000 pairs of shoes have been distributed for children at risk
- 2014-08-19 - The church calls on the authorities to change the situation in prisons
- 2014-07-23 - The Bishop of Choluteca: 5000 people are forced to put their lives at risk in mines every day
- 2014-07-02 - Campaign in schools in favor of children on the issue of responsibility
- 2014-06-23 - It is time to take action! More than 13 thousand children and young Hondurans at the U.S. Border
- 2014-06-13 - Honour of the Congress to Bishop Emiliani Sánchez for his social contribution
- 2014-05-15 - Violence against children who suffer abuse and harassment continues