ASIA/PHILIPPINES – The activist killed in Boracay was a lay Catholic of the Vincentian Family
Manila (Agenzia Fides) – Dexter Condez was a lay Catholic and belonged to the religious Family of the Society of St. Vincent de 'Paul (Religious Vincentian Family) he was a 26-year-old activist who was killed with eight shots on the island of Boracaya on 22 February. Condez defended the rights and prerogatives of the indigenous group Ati, who are opposed to the exploitation of the land on behalf of construction companies (see Fides 28/02/2013). The Vincentian Family in the Philippines (which includes men, women congregations and lay orders), condemning the brutal killing of one of its lay members, calls for firm action by the police and the government: "While the police have started investigations, those behind this cowardly act are still at large. Condez leaves his family, but also the entire community of Ati, who were trying to regain possession of their land, " writes Fr. Francisco Vargas, President of the Council of the Vincentian Family in the Philippines in a statement sent to Fides.
The text recalls that Condez was committed to the protection of the identity and dignity of the Ati tribe and was in close contact with the local Church of the Diocese of Kalibo. "His murder is a blow to the country's history and of the Church of the Philippines," remarked the statement, inviting everyone to pray.
The last thought is for the community of Ati, which Condez "served with courage and altruism." The Vincentians urge to continue "the work which he left in the name of charity and justice", ensuring their support and solidarity with the indigenous. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 04/03/2013)
- 2013-04-25 ASIA/PHILIPPINES - Bishops' Appeal: "Cherish the earth to save Mindanao"
- 2013-04-24 ASIA/PHILIPPINES - The religious: " Government insufficient on ecology, human rights, corruption, land reform"
- 2013-04-16 ASIA/PHILIPPINES - General Elections: the Church traces the identikit of the "good candidate"
- 2013-03-04 ASIA/PHILIPPINES – The activist killed in Boracay was a lay Catholic of the Vincentian Family
- 2013-02-28 ASIA/PHILIPPINES - The Church next to the tribals, in the face of abuses in the tourist paradise of Boracay
- 2013-01-30 ASIA/PHILIPPINES - The Bishops on the upcoming elections: we need a law against political dynasties
- 2013-01-22 ASIA/PHILIPPINES - The typhoon also has an impact on maternal and child health
- 2013-01-14 ASIA/PHILIPPINES - Schools reopen after the typhoon but there is still no electricity
- 2012-12-19 ASIA/PAKISTAN - Fr. Mendes: "Caritas volunteers and doctors are in danger because of the Taliban’s fury"
- 2012-12-19 ASIA/PHILIPPINES - President Aquino will sign the Reproductive Health Bill within the year. For the Church, "he is like a dictator"