AMERICA/BRAZIL - "The conflict over the land is also ruining our culture," say the indigenous communities
Luziânia (Agenzia Fides) - The question of land ownership was the focus of traditional communities, which was held from February 25 to 28 in Luziânia (in the State of Goias in central Brazil). The event was attended by 120 representatives of traditional communities around the country who discussed ways to protect their land rights against the hoarding of land by landowners.
During the work, the need to join different social movements and organizations that deal with the problem emerged.
Indigenous people present at this meeting denounced that the conflict for the land undermined also their culture and their traditions. For example, the quilombolas of Rio dos Macacos, in Bahia, denounced the action of the Marina and violence against their community, where it was forbidden even to cultivate the land.
A lawyer of the Indigenous Missionary Council (CIMI) conducted a debate on the Constitution and conventions concerning the rights of traditional communities, such as the Convention 169 of the ILO (International Labour Organisation). It was stressed that the rights of these communities are already implicit in the Brazilian Constitution, but they must be better defined. For the Movement Quilombola of Maranhão, the 1838 territories demarcated so far, only 121 have ownership attributable to the indigenous communities. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 01/03/2013)
- 2015-09-16 - "How many people have to die before they have justice?", since 1983 at least 50 indigenous leaders have been killed
- 2015-09-15 - Preparation for World Mission Sunday 2015 begins
- 2015-09-14 - Early Marriages: still half a million young newlyweds between 15 to 17 years of age
- 2015-09-03 - The memory of the missionary Fr. Ezechiele Ramin is still alive even 30 years after his assassination
- 2015-08-28 - Scalabrinians: international meeting to find new answers to the issue of migration
- 2015-08-19 - "Church and mining activity": testimonies and experiences in defense of life and territories
- 2015-08-18 - Local Catholic Church demands guaranteed rights for migrants
- 2015-08-13 - Tension between Haitians and locals, Haitian citizen mortally wounded
- 2015-08-11 - National Family Week, an event that grows in Brazil
- 2015-08-08 - Pilgrimage in the heart of the Amazon in defense of creation and to remember Sister Dorothy Stang