AFRICA/KENYA - Elections: Archbishop Lele’s appeal "avoid violence and ethnic discrimination"
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - "Choose peace for our beloved Kenya, before, during and after the general election. We can only do that by transcending our ethnic affiliations, voting good leaders capable of serving people without discrimination, and rejecting all forms of pre and post election violence," said Archbishop Boniface Lele, Archbishop of Mombasa, in a statement sent to the various national bodies of information, on the occasion of the presidential and parliamentary elections of March 4.
Archbishop Lele has in particular stressed the need to overcome ethnic divisions and accept the winner despite the ethnic community they come from: "Our Nation belongs to all the diverse ethnic communities found in the same land and whoever emerges the winner after the General Election should be accepted and respected by all as the choice of majority Kenyans."
Archbishop Lele finally pointed out that any post-election dispute must be resolved through the judicial system, without resorting to violence.
"Political violence cannot resolve election disputes and neither can it be justified under any circumstance," said the Archbishop of Mombasa. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 28/02/2013)
- 2014-09-05 - “Enough violence in northern Kenya!” cry Catholic Bishops
- 2014-09-05 - AFRICA/KENYA – New Rector for St. Matthias Mulumba Major seminary in the diocese of Eldoret
- 2014-09-05 - diocesan Major Seminary in the diocese of Nakuru, appointed.
- 2014-09-04 - AFRICA/KENYA – Rector for St. Thomas Aquinas major seminary in Nairobi appointed
- 2014-07-23 - Works begin on a new center for disabled children in the village of Kandisi
- 2014-07-18 - The First Lady praised the Church's role in improving the lives of millions of Kenyans
- 2014-07-17 - The army have discovered four fields where the perpetrators of the attacks in the coastal region hide
- 2014-07-15 - The perpetrators of the attacks against some villages on the coast have been identified
- 2014-07-09 - Bishops' appeal: "The media play a pivotal role in the Country"
- 2014-06-26 - The governor of Lamu arrested for the attacks on coastal villages