AMERICA/NICARAGUA - The new Nuncio: Holy See and Nicaragua together for the common good and for the family
Managua (Agenzia Fides) - The new Apostolic Nuncio in Nicaragua, His Excellency, Archbishop Fortunatus Nwachukwu, said during the presentation of his credentials to President Daniel Ortega, that the Holy See intends "to work for the good of the people of Nicaragua." "The Apostolic Nuncio works, as the representative of the Holy Father for the good of the people. We have no political interests, but the interests of the people," said the Nigerian Archbishop.
As reported to Fides, Archbishop Nwachukwu also expressed appreciation on behalf of Pope Benedict XVI for the government's work in family policies. President Ortega welcomed the new Nuncio who said, "has our full support and respect," declaring himself "open to comments" that the new Nuncio wants to ask. Ortega stressed that his government is committed to the principles of Christianity, "to put family first." "This commitment asks for the support of the Catholic Church and also of the other evangelical churches. We are open to dialogue, to listen, just to nourish and strengthen programs to assist families in Nicaragua," said the Sandinista leader.
Just in these days, the Parliament of Nicaragua, approved the creation of a "Ministry for the Family, health and life." Some sectors of the opposition reject the state system organization in the field, seeing it as an intrusion of the government in the internal affairs of families. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 28/02/2013)
- 2015-11-18 - Bishops meeting: Bring the Gospel to those who use "the digital world"
- 2015-10-28 - The anti-interoceanic canal march suspended, but the population still opposes
- 2015-10-19 - Mining activity in Rancho Grande is "not feasible": listen to the people and the Church
- 2015-10-12 - The Church ready to mediate in the mine issue, "no one has to die for this"
- 2015-10-08 - Clashes between police and protesters, the Church is the only intermediary
- 2015-10-07 - The support of Cardinal Brenes: "Punish those who exploit the naivety of the poor"
- 2015-09-18 - Bishops of Bluefields: "We cannot share the violence among poor peasants and indigenous"
- 2015-09-14 - Families fleeing and still clashes in Waspam, request of a Truth Commission
- 2015-09-10 - Clashes over land concern the Bishops of Bluefields: "there will be no solution if there is violence"
- 2015-07-16 - Nearly two million Central American children are undernourished