AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - From the Nuba Mountains to Uganda to receive new limbs thanks to the Catholic Church
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - The Catholic Church is sponsoring 20 amputees, all war victims, who suffered amputations in the war in the Nuba Mountains (Sudan) to reach a hospital in Uganda where they can get new implants. These people will join another 13 from Yida Refugee Camp (South Sudan).
The Sudan Catholic Network quoted a medical officer that explained how His Exc. Mgr. Macram Max, Bishop of El Obeid lobbied for funds to fit the patients with artificial limbs and allow them to lead normal lives.
The first batch of 35 people had been sent to Uganda to undergo the implantation of artificial limbs.
An amputee said he was happy to be on the list of those who will be traveling to Uganda to receive a new leg and thanked the Diocese of El Obeid for the opportunity.
Ten different groups of amputees were planned for trips to different hospitals in Uganda to be fitted with new limbs. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 27/02/2013)
- 2013-11-29 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - In November, 4 death sentences were carried out despite appeals for a moratorium on capital punishment
- 2013-11-18 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Foundation stone laid at the Catholic University of South Sudan
- 2013-08-06 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Emergency cases of measles complicated in addition to 1,500 of malaria
- 2013-07-25 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Tense Climate after the deposition of the government
- 2013-07-24 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN – Food emergency for thousands of people who have fled into the forests of the State of Jonglei
- 2013-07-24 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Bishop Kussala: "The military presence is not the solution"
- 2013-07-09 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Abolition of the death penalty: appeal on the 2nd anniversary of the independence of South Sudan
- 2013-07-03 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Catholic Radio station in Rumbek resumes broadcasting
- 2013-07-01 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Alarm measles for 10 counties in the Country
- 2013-06-20 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - A day of prayer for national reconciliation has been announced