AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - From the Nuba Mountains to Uganda to receive new limbs thanks to the Catholic Church
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - The Catholic Church is sponsoring 20 amputees, all war victims, who suffered amputations in the war in the Nuba Mountains (Sudan) to reach a hospital in Uganda where they can get new implants. These people will join another 13 from Yida Refugee Camp (South Sudan).
The Sudan Catholic Network quoted a medical officer that explained how His Exc. Mgr. Macram Max, Bishop of El Obeid lobbied for funds to fit the patients with artificial limbs and allow them to lead normal lives.
The first batch of 35 people had been sent to Uganda to undergo the implantation of artificial limbs.
An amputee said he was happy to be on the list of those who will be traveling to Uganda to receive a new leg and thanked the Diocese of El Obeid for the opportunity.
Ten different groups of amputees were planned for trips to different hospitals in Uganda to be fitted with new limbs. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 27/02/2013)
- 2015-06-25 - Cholera and rains aggravate the humanitarian situation, thousands of refugees fleeing the war: the testimony of a missionary
- 2015-06-23 - Appeal from Torit: the few NGOs that have remained in South Sudan must not leave over 4 million displaced alone
- 2015-06-10 - New appeal of Christian leaders to stop the "senseless war"
- 2015-05-27 - Christian Churches: "Stop the violence, instigated by leaders, most of whom call themselves Christians"
- 2015-05-26 - Security situation worsens due to clashes
- 2015-05-04 - "Population left to themselves, we are determined to restore peace" say Christian leaders
- 2015-04-22 - Malakal: heavy fighting between soldiers from three different ethnic groups
- 2015-04-21 - Peripheral areas left to themselves due to national conflict: tribal clashes reawaken
- 2015-04-01 - "Stop the war immediately. If the parties are unable to reach agreement by themselves, then they must be persuaded to accept a solution" say Christian leaders
- 2015-03-24 - "Inexperience and corruption are the cause of civil war" says the Bishop of Wau