AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - From the Nuba Mountains to Uganda to receive new limbs thanks to the Catholic Church
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - The Catholic Church is sponsoring 20 amputees, all war victims, who suffered amputations in the war in the Nuba Mountains (Sudan) to reach a hospital in Uganda where they can get new implants. These people will join another 13 from Yida Refugee Camp (South Sudan).
The Sudan Catholic Network quoted a medical officer that explained how His Exc. Mgr. Macram Max, Bishop of El Obeid lobbied for funds to fit the patients with artificial limbs and allow them to lead normal lives.
The first batch of 35 people had been sent to Uganda to undergo the implantation of artificial limbs.
An amputee said he was happy to be on the list of those who will be traveling to Uganda to receive a new leg and thanked the Diocese of El Obeid for the opportunity.
Ten different groups of amputees were planned for trips to different hospitals in Uganda to be fitted with new limbs. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 27/02/2013)
- 2013-05-08 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - "We have nothing to do with the fundraising for our cathedral," says the Diocese of Torit
- 2013-04-26 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - "Our leadership is intact" ensures the Archbishop of Juba
- 2013-04-22 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Even a nurse of the Diocese of Torit among the victims of clashes between military and civilians
- 2013-03-18 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Death of Bishop of Torit
- 2013-02-27 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - From the Nuba Mountains to Uganda to receive new limbs thanks to the Catholic Church
- 2013-02-13 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Tension rises between South Sudan and Sudan
- 2013-01-31 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - About 300 Sudanese refugees arrive in South Sudan every day. The UNHCR is preparing a new refugee camp
- 2013-01-07 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Childhood penalized, 200,000 children at risk for malnutrition
- 2012-12-06 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - South Sudan Emergency: violence in Jonglei State does not stop
- 2012-12-04 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN-Somali immigrants accuse the security forces of abuse