AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - From the Nuba Mountains to Uganda to receive new limbs thanks to the Catholic Church
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - The Catholic Church is sponsoring 20 amputees, all war victims, who suffered amputations in the war in the Nuba Mountains (Sudan) to reach a hospital in Uganda where they can get new implants. These people will join another 13 from Yida Refugee Camp (South Sudan).
The Sudan Catholic Network quoted a medical officer that explained how His Exc. Mgr. Macram Max, Bishop of El Obeid lobbied for funds to fit the patients with artificial limbs and allow them to lead normal lives.
The first batch of 35 people had been sent to Uganda to undergo the implantation of artificial limbs.
An amputee said he was happy to be on the list of those who will be traveling to Uganda to receive a new leg and thanked the Diocese of El Obeid for the opportunity.
Ten different groups of amputees were planned for trips to different hospitals in Uganda to be fitted with new limbs. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 27/02/2013)
- 2014-03-07 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - "The South Sudanese people will come out of this crisis stronger than";fifty years from the expulsion of the missionaries
- 2014-03-03 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Malakal, a city of 250,000 inhabitants, completely deserted after the rebel attacks: the testimony of a missionary to Fides
- 2014-02-27 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - “Let us work together for peace”: Bishop Taban urges Muslim community
- 2014-02-25 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - “Our place is here”: caring for mothers and infants in need of medical attention
- 2014-02-20 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - "Civil society needs to be involved in future peace negotiations", said the Nuncio
- 2014-02-19 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Uncertain situation in Malakal, at the center of the fighting between government and rebels
- 2014-02-18 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - The truce has been violated: fighting in Malakal has resumed
- 2014-02-12 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - New round of peace talks in South Sudan
- 2014-02-07 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Despite the truce, clashes continue: aid, medicines and therapeutic food are needed
- 2014-02-01 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - The Bishops: "Do not exclude the Church and civil society from peace talks"