AMERICA - It is urgent to eradicate the phenomenon of children employed in domestic work
Montevideo (Agenzia Fides) - Ten major international organizations urge the ministers of labor throughout the world to protect children working in domestic service and to ratify the Convention of the International Labour Organization (ILO) on domestic workers
In an open letter released on February 25 and sent to Fides, organizations, including Human Rights Watch and Amnesty International, ask to establish a minimum age for domestic work, in accordance with the ILO Convention, adopted in June 2011. The document aims to improve the lives of nearly 15 million children, who are estimated to be engaged in domestic work in different countries in the world, saying that they should not be deprived of education, which is an essential right. The Convention has been ratified so far by four governments: in Uruguay, the Philippines, Italy and Mauritius, and in at least 48 countries, Parliament and other institutions are analyzing the text for approval.
The signatories of the open Letter are organizations for children's rights, human rights and humanitarian groups, present in more than 135 countries around the world: Amnesty International, Anti-Slavery International, Defence for Children International, Child Rights International Network, Global March against Child Labour, Human Rights Watch, International Domestic Worker Network, the International Labor Rights Forum, Plan International and World Vision.
(CE) (Agenzia Fides 27/02/2013)
- 2015-11-16 - Latin American Bishops protagonists of the "Pact of the Catacombs"
- 2015-05-16 - Message of the XXXV General Assembly of CELAM: "Living a missionary conversion as a church which goes forth"
- 2015-05-07 - 88 environmentalists killed in Latin America in 2014
- 2015-04-16 - Bishops Emeritus continue to give their contribution
- 2015-04-16 - Almost 4 million children in Latin America do not have access to primary school
- 2015-03-17 - Human rights and extractive industries in Latin America: the position of the Church
- 2015-03-06 - Pan-Amazon Ecclesial Network: For Mgr. Barreto the life of 30 million people is at stake
- 2015-01-15 - New web portal of CELAM, to reach the "suburbs" of the continent
- 2015-01-02 - Drastic increase of children who try to escape from Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador
- 2014-12-11 - The new land of the "landless", a living and current history