AMERICA - It is urgent to eradicate the phenomenon of children employed in domestic work
Montevideo (Agenzia Fides) - Ten major international organizations urge the ministers of labor throughout the world to protect children working in domestic service and to ratify the Convention of the International Labour Organization (ILO) on domestic workers
In an open letter released on February 25 and sent to Fides, organizations, including Human Rights Watch and Amnesty International, ask to establish a minimum age for domestic work, in accordance with the ILO Convention, adopted in June 2011. The document aims to improve the lives of nearly 15 million children, who are estimated to be engaged in domestic work in different countries in the world, saying that they should not be deprived of education, which is an essential right. The Convention has been ratified so far by four governments: in Uruguay, the Philippines, Italy and Mauritius, and in at least 48 countries, Parliament and other institutions are analyzing the text for approval.
The signatories of the open Letter are organizations for children's rights, human rights and humanitarian groups, present in more than 135 countries around the world: Amnesty International, Anti-Slavery International, Defence for Children International, Child Rights International Network, Global March against Child Labour, Human Rights Watch, International Domestic Worker Network, the International Labor Rights Forum, Plan International and World Vision.
(CE) (Agenzia Fides 27/02/2013)
- 2013-12-12 AMERICA – On the feast of our Lady of Guadalupe, CELAM renews its website
- 2013-11-07 AMERICA - The Meeting of Guadalupe closes the Year of Faith in the continent
- 2013-09-30 AMERICA - New portal at the service of migrants: an American initiative
- 2013-09-05 AMERICA - "The serious threat to peace in Syria cannot leave anyone indifferent": peace initiatives in Latin America
- 2013-08-09 AMERICA - Today International Day of the world’s Indigenous Peoples is celebrated
- 2013-05-23 AMERICA - "A Continental Mission in solidarity with those who suffer", CELAM follows Pope Francis
- 2013-02-27 AMERICA - It is urgent to eradicate the phenomenon of children employed in domestic work
- 2013-02-14 AMERICA - The radio as a tool for evangelization
- 2012-11-29 AMERICA - Poverty declines in Latin America, but 66 million people live in extreme poverty
- 2012-09-20 AMERICA - Baobab is operational , a network that connects all members of Caritas in the world