ASIA/CAMBODIA - Religions united to commemorate the genocide of the Khmer Rouge
Phnom Penh (Agenzia Fides) - Christians, Buddhists, Cambodian Muslims gathered in past days in Choeung Ek, the "killing field" of Cambodia, to commemorate and pray for the thousands of innocent Cambodians executed there, under the regime of Khmer Rouge. The memory of the victims of the genocide was part of the "Interreligious Harmony Week ", characterized by prayer vigils, meetings and discussions. At the end of the week, religious leaders planted some trees in the field of Choeung Ek.
As reported to Fides by the Jesuits in Cambodia, the celebration was attended by young Christians, Protestants and Catholics, Muslims, and Buddhist monks, especially from Phnom Penh.
About 50 trees were planted all of a species called "Rumdul" (scientific name: Mitrella mesnyi), national flower of Cambodia. The Rumdul flower has three petals and is yellowish in color. It is known for its fragrance, recognizable even at a great distance. "The good smell of Rumdul accompanies, as well as our prayers, our Cambodian brothers and sisters who perished in the killing fields of Choeung Ek," said those present.
The idea of an interreligious week in Cambodia acknowledges the initiative promoted by the United Nations of the World Week of Interreligious Harmony ". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 26/02/2013)
- 2015-11-23 - The Jubilee of Mercy in the name of the martyrs and the last of society
- 2015-10-01 - Parents involved in preparing meals in school canteens
- 2015-09-17 - Forcible return for the Vietnamese "Montagnards"
- 2015-09-09 - Families forced to live in cemeteries where children play among the graves
- 2015-09-02 - ASIA/CAMBODIA – The First Youth Day in Cambodia and Laos
- 2015-07-06 - A new priest in the Church of Phnom Penh: vocations flourish
- 2015-06-18 - The Apostolic Vicar of Phnom Penh: "Martyrs teach us to love till the end"
- 2015-06-16 - The diocesan process of beatification of Cambodian martyrs begins
- 2014-10-11 - The Church of Phnom Penh launches the Year of Charity
- 2014-06-27 - The Society of Jesus welcomes the second cambodian Jesuit