ASIA/CAMBODIA - Religions united to commemorate the genocide of the Khmer Rouge
Phnom Penh (Agenzia Fides) - Christians, Buddhists, Cambodian Muslims gathered in past days in Choeung Ek, the "killing field" of Cambodia, to commemorate and pray for the thousands of innocent Cambodians executed there, under the regime of Khmer Rouge. The memory of the victims of the genocide was part of the "Interreligious Harmony Week ", characterized by prayer vigils, meetings and discussions. At the end of the week, religious leaders planted some trees in the field of Choeung Ek.
As reported to Fides by the Jesuits in Cambodia, the celebration was attended by young Christians, Protestants and Catholics, Muslims, and Buddhist monks, especially from Phnom Penh.
About 50 trees were planted all of a species called "Rumdul" (scientific name: Mitrella mesnyi), national flower of Cambodia. The Rumdul flower has three petals and is yellowish in color. It is known for its fragrance, recognizable even at a great distance. "The good smell of Rumdul accompanies, as well as our prayers, our Cambodian brothers and sisters who perished in the killing fields of Choeung Ek," said those present.
The idea of an interreligious week in Cambodia acknowledges the initiative promoted by the United Nations of the World Week of Interreligious Harmony ". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 26/02/2013)
- 2014-04-04 - JRS Cambodia celebrates World Interfaith Harmony Week
- 2014-03-31 - Half of the children live in extreme poverty
- 2013-10-29 - Aid from humanitarian organizations to people affected by monsoons and floods
- 2013-10-04 - Southeast Asia hit by typhoons, torrential rains, floods
- 2013-06-25 - The Jesuits launch a new educational project and a new school
- 2013-02-26 - Religions united to commemorate the genocide of the Khmer Rouge
- 2013-01-07 - The Catechism of the Catholic Church in cambodian: A Gift for the Year of Faith
- 2012-12-18 - Sexual exploitation, forced labor, poverty: cause of death for many children
- 2012-11-20 - The safeguarding of children's rights should be a priority in all countries around the world
- 2012-10-27 - The Apostolic Vicar of Phnom Penh: "A new missionary impetus animates the young"