AMERICA/GUATEMALA - Year of Faith: a pastoral Letter denouncing violence
Escuintla (Agenzia Fides) - It is time to "move from sin to life" with this invitation the Pastoral Letter of the Diocese of Escuintla begins, on the occasion of Lent in the Year of Faith 2013. In the text sent by the Episcopal Conference of Guatemala to Fides Agency, His Exc. Mgr. Victor Hugo Palma Paul, says: "We must confess that in our land of Escuintla there is sin: due to the indifference towards the poverty of brothers and sisters, family irresponsibility, in the abandonment of children and youth, in the climate of violence without justification, in the materialistic and selfish mentality that leads to forgetting God."
The Bishop says: "The climate of atrocious violence that our people live, the lack of respect for life and dignity of every human being unfortunately occur every day in the streets of the second most violent department of Guatemala, Escuintla. When someone is injured or killed by organized crime, there is fear and no one denounces the fact".
The letter, entitled "The love of Christ impels us" (2 Cor, 5:14), invites us to experience the Year of Faith by taking up the path of love to change this situation. The message proposes valuable tools to do this: personal prayer and community participation in the various activities of popular religiousness which keeps alive the Christian community throughout history. The text concludes with an invitation to participate in the pastoral life of the Church, especially in parishes, nucleus organized of the great Catholic community.
Guatemala, and the area of Escuintla, is considered the second most violent in the country for the amount of people murdered. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 26/02/2013)
- 2015-01-29 - A reception center for HIV children
- 2015-01-22 - Niños de Paz project to protect thousands of refugees and displaced children
- 2014-11-12 - To strengthen missionary commitment in spite of violence in the country and people's indifference
- 2014-10-28 - "City of Hope": an integral project for young landfill workers
- 2014-10-06 - Violence in Sacatepéquez continues, the government asks for the mediation of the Church
- 2014-09-29 - Child workers: the exploitation of children represents a permanent crisis
- 2014-09-25 - Violence does not stop due to a mega project in the indigenous territories: 11 dead and several wounded
- 2014-09-10 - AMERICA/GUATEMALA – Fighting poverty and undernourishment to escape underdevelopment
- 2014-02-12 - "Life is not respected any more in the country" alarm of the Church in the fight against drug trafficking
- 2014-02-03 - Everyone must commit themselves for peace and social justice