AMERICA/CHILE - The Community of Santiago greets the first missionary of St. Colombano in Chile
Santiago (Agenzia Fides) – He was a missionary who gave a valuable contribution to the whole Church of Santiago: Fr. Hugo Mc Gonagle, an Irish priest and missionary of St. Colombano, who died last February 18 at the age of 89, "he made the Gospel his life and was always at the service of the poor," said the Archbishop of Santiago, His Exc. Mgr. Ricardo Ezzati, thanking him and his congregation on behalf of the community. In a solemn Eucharistic celebration in front of the entire community, the Archbishop recalled the missionary zeal and pastoral skills.
He was born on January 23, 1924 in Ireland, Father Mc Gonagle was one of the first missionaries of St. Colombano who arrived in Chile on December 21, 1949, he was ordained a priest in 1953 and arrived in Chile with Father James McCarthy. There were numerous testimonies of missionary work in the community of Santiago. The provincial father, Alvaro Martinez, gave the final blessing and greetings on behalf of the community of confreres. He is buried in the General Cemetery of Santiago. The Missionaries of St. Colombano have been working in Chile for 60 years and today have missions in 13 countries: Australia, New Zealand, China, South Korea, Fiji, the Philippines, England, Ireland, Japan, Pakistan, Peru, Taiwan and the States. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 26/02/2013)
- 2015-08-06 - "Freedoms have limits", said Mgr. Chomalí
- 2015-08-03 - “Abortion is never therapeutic”: local Catholic Church attacks
- 2015-07-01 - Procession at sea on Easter Island for St. Peter, praying for the Pope's visit
- 2015-05-19 - The main problems of childhood in Chile: Sexual exploitation, trafficking, drugs, alcohol
- 2015-05-18 - First agreement between former political prisoners and government, Mgr. Goic President of the Commission
- 2015-05-16 - Two students die during the protests; the Church appeals for non-violence
- 2015-05-06 - Bishops' statement: "The right to truth, forgiveness is not impunity"
- 2015-04-15 - Protection of life and communication in the Church's mission, priority in the Chilean Church
- 2015-04-14 - Floods force more than 40 000 children not to go to school
- 2015-03-30 - Floods and landslides: 12 dead and thousands displaced, Caritas at work