AMERICA/CHILE - The Community of Santiago greets the first missionary of St. Colombano in Chile
Santiago (Agenzia Fides) – He was a missionary who gave a valuable contribution to the whole Church of Santiago: Fr. Hugo Mc Gonagle, an Irish priest and missionary of St. Colombano, who died last February 18 at the age of 89, "he made the Gospel his life and was always at the service of the poor," said the Archbishop of Santiago, His Exc. Mgr. Ricardo Ezzati, thanking him and his congregation on behalf of the community. In a solemn Eucharistic celebration in front of the entire community, the Archbishop recalled the missionary zeal and pastoral skills.
He was born on January 23, 1924 in Ireland, Father Mc Gonagle was one of the first missionaries of St. Colombano who arrived in Chile on December 21, 1949, he was ordained a priest in 1953 and arrived in Chile with Father James McCarthy. There were numerous testimonies of missionary work in the community of Santiago. The provincial father, Alvaro Martinez, gave the final blessing and greetings on behalf of the community of confreres. He is buried in the General Cemetery of Santiago. The Missionaries of St. Colombano have been working in Chile for 60 years and today have missions in 13 countries: Australia, New Zealand, China, South Korea, Fiji, the Philippines, England, Ireland, Japan, Pakistan, Peru, Taiwan and the States. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 26/02/2013)
- 2014-11-19 - Bishops support: "an educational reform for the good of the nation"
- 2014-10-20 - A hundred thousand on a pilgrimage for the family to the shrine of the first Chilean Saint
- 2014-10-03 - Apostolic Vicar of Aysen awarded: "Water is also a problem of sovereignty"
- 2014-06-26 - Wüñol Tripantu, the Mapuche celebration of the rebirth of life
- 2014-06-20 - "Here we are Lord, in the World Cup": special section on the website of the Catholic Bishops' Conference
- 2014-05-30 - AMERICA/CHILE – Local Catholic Church committed to educational reform nation wide
- 2014-05-07 - The decline in vocations to priesthood at the center of the Assembly of Bishops of Chile
- 2014-04-14 - Card. Ezzati’s appeal: Solidarity with the people of Valparaiso after the tragic fire
- 2014-01-09 - Peru and Chile, brotherly peoples
- 2014-01-07 - "One should listen to the Mapuche people in order to resolve the conflict in Araucanía" asks the Bishop of Temuco