AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - Appeal for electoral campaign without violence and with transparency
San Salvador (Agenzia Fides) – As the time approaches for the start of the electoral campaign for 2014 presidential elections, Archbishop José Luis Escobar Alas, Archbishop of San Salvador, says the local Catholic Church trusts that this event will take place without violence and with maximum transparency.
The Archbishop also said that the candidacy of former President Tony Saca should not cause conflict, because like all the politicians wishing to take part, he has the right to do so if the law so allows. “Whether a campaign is or is not violent, should not depend on the presentation or non presentation of a certain candidate” said Archbishop Escobar Alas who expressed the certainty that “this campaign will not be a source of conflict or violence, because society today is highly sensitive to the issue”. Lastly the Archbishop underlined that the use of violence on the part of politicians can provoke immediate response from the people through the vote. “This is not a threat, it is simply due the fact that the people have matured and simple refuse any abuse of power", concluded Archbishop Escobar Alas.
(CE) (Agenzia Fides, 25/02/2013)
- 2014-07-15 - The Archbishop of San Salvador: Mexico and the United States have to ensure the rights of children
- 2014-07-03 - 1,512 suspected cases of chikungunya in addition to 5,698 confirmed cases of dengue
- 2014-05-20 - Violence in parts of Central America also encourages children to emigrate alone
- 2014-05-05 - "We cannot continue to bury young people every day" denounced Mgr. Rosa Chavez
- 2014-04-28 - Transparency in everything, because people must have confidence
- 2014-03-24 - Salvadorans commemorate the assassination of Mgr. Romero, in view of his beatification
- 2014-03-18 - Elections 2014: the Church asks the newly-elected President for an "attitude of dialogue"
- 2014-01-09 - Child abuse by parents or their guardians continue
- 2013-10-01 - Indigenous peoples continue to remain "invisible"
- 2013-08-12 - Canonization for Mgr. Romero, the Cuban Cardinal at the Eucharistic Congress