AMERICA/COLOMBIA - “We must all support efforts to continue the dialogue for peace”
Bogotà (Agenzia Fides) – “We must all support and defend efforts to promote peace” the national director of Social Pastoral of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of Colombia , Mgr. Héctor Fabio Henao, told the press. These efforts, the priest said , should be undertaken by both the government and the FARC (Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia) in order to put an end to the conflict which has raged for half a century .
The press note forwarded to Fides says: "All processes pass through difficult times and situations when the parties involved have to clarify many things, but we must persevere and progress along this path”.
Mons. Henao referred to the friction which has arisen in peace talks taking place in Cuba (see Fides 20/11/2012), due to recent government statements regarding thousands of hectares of land taken from farmers reportedly by FARC troops. The rebels replied that this accusation could cause peace talks to ‘break down’. Colombian Home Minister, Fernando Carrillo, accused the rebels of interrupting the talks since they continue to kidnap army soldiers and launch attacks on civilians . "It is up to them, the FARC, to break the deadlock in the peace talks by ceasing to kidnap Colombians ", the Minister said. (CE) (Agenzia Fides, 25/02/2013)
- 2014-07-11 - After the Bishops also international organizations denounce the serious situation in Chocò
- 2014-07-10 - The new President of the Episcopate reiterates that peace is the great challenge of the country
- 2014-07-09 - In the region of Chocò: "We are forgotten by all, we have no protection, people live in anguish"
- 2014-07-05 - The Assembly of Bishops begins: Analysis of social reality and new directives
- 2014-07-03 - Historic meeting between religious communities for peace in the country
- 2014-06-28 - AMERICA/COLOMBIA – IDPs are increasing: the Church appeals to the authorities to resolve the crisis
- 2014-06-27 - The Church with regards to peace talks: Consider the pain of the victims
- 2014-06-20 - "The Church has helped me to find a land": in Colombia 5.5 million internally displaced persons
- 2014-06-14 - off in Colombia, the Church calls for dialogue and mutual respect
- 2014-06-09 - "The reality of Buenaventura is still critical" denounces Mgr. Epalza