AMERICA/URUGUAY - Social inclusion and “unity in diversity”: a challenge for the Church
Montevideo (Agenzia Fides) – Building a society where no one is excluded, no one is marginalised, where diverse social and religious components work together for the common good, is a challenge for the Church: this is the opinion of the “Commission for Solidarity” in the archdiocese of Montevideo and the “Entre Todos” Foundation which have launched in 2013, in continuity with the past few years, a “social inclusion campaign”. The theme of the Campaign this year is: “We are one. You too are invited to include”.
According to a note sent to Fides by the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of Uruguay, the Campaign encourages people to reflect on both parts of the slogan separately: “We are one” means being part of the same historical, cultural, social and national reality . In the present reality, rich in diversity, the challenges are “growing in responsibility, in participation, in contributing to the common good”. The second part of the slogan, “You too are invited to include”, calls every Christian and all persons of good will “to make the first step”, encouraging citizens to have hope for the future, to set out on “the new adventure” of encountering others, even if they are different. “We are called to face the challenge to be a society which is more inclusive, united in multiplicity, even if at times this means making an effort ”, says the Campaign launched by the Church.
The Campaign promotes concrete action, considering “inclusion” in the broader sense: include people of different cultures, different age groups, ethnic groups, different political parties, social movements, religious communities, in order to “integrate all differences” into one family working for the good and the dignity of every man, woman and child. (CE) (Agenzia Fides, 23/02/2013)
- 2013-12-19 - Over 13 thousand signatures in favor of clean environment
- 2013-12-13 - The legalization of marijuana will destroy family
- 2013-10-07 - The family at the center of missionary October
- 2013-07-02 - New educational center for the prevention of child labor
- 2013-06-21 - Invitation of the Church: a vote for a referendum against abortion
- 2013-02-23 - Social inclusion and “unity in diversity”: a challenge for the Church
- 2012-11-30 - Child labor and gender discrimination for Afro-Uruguayan children
- 2012-10-23 - Popular support for the Commission "For Life and Water" in Tacuarembó increases
- 2012-10-18 - "No violence is justified under any circumstances," the Archdiocese after the violence in the Marconi barrio of the capital
- 2012-09-27 - A Bishop joins the "Commission for Life and water"