OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - Government tells Churches "homosexuals must not be discriminated against in social service"
Sydney (Agenzia Fides) – The approval of the "Human Rights and Anti-Discrimination Bill", intended to include and harmonise existing anti-discrimination legislation in society could backfire on Christian Churches and Christian organisations. The bill being discussed by the Australian parliament, in fact would suspend "exemptions" hitherto enjoyed by Churches and religious organisations which run schools hospitals, social assistance centres, and social institutes and centres belonging to various different Christian denominations. Churches, in fact, were exempt from hiring homosexual teachers, including homosexual persons in services for the adoption of children, and from including same sex couples in services offered to hetero couples. The new Bill suspends these exemptions. An Australian senate commission has stated "no organisation should enjoy dispensation from the principle of non-discrimination when involved in supplying services for the community in general ".
In a statement sent to Fides, the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of Australia says that the recommendations formulated by the Senate Commission "represent a threat to religious freedom " and could have a serious impact on "social services supplied by Catholic healthcare structures and Catholic schools". The anti-discrimination legislation, approved in principle by the country’s Christian Churches, "needs to find a balance between the values in question: the fundamental value of religious freedom must be recognised as a significant part of our lifestyle in a pluralist society ", the Bishops remarked. Opposition to the new norms was also expressed by Robert Johnston spokesman of the Australian Association of Christian Schools . (PA) (Agenzia Fides 22/2/2013)
- 2013-02-22 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - Government tells Churches "homosexuals must not be discriminated against in social service"
- 2012-12-20 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - New Catholic schools are born, enrollment increases
- 2012-11-26 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - "We oppose the policy of prolonged detention of asylum seekers and we are particularly concerned about the children": Council’s appeal for social justice
- 2012-10-19 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - Catholic Mission: To restore hope to the people of the Philippines devastated by the Typhoon Ondoy
- 2012-04-26 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA-Campaign of the Pontifical Mission Societies of Australia for Ethiopia's population
- 2012-03-29 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - The support of the Australian Catholic to 195 dioceses in 38 nations through Catholic Mission
- 2012-01-19 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - The liturgy is enriched with aboriginal chants and prayers in a church on the outskirts of Sydney
- 2011-11-24 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA-The Bishops listen to an Aboriginal leader, "an agenda of hope"
- 2011-10-17 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - "Aborigines and immigrants are the heart of the mission", says the Archbishop of Canberra
- 2011-09-27 OCEANIA/AUSTRALIA - A hundred years ago the Australian Province of the Daughters of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart was born