AMERICA/MEXICO - "Say NO to the dirty money of drug traffickers": Bishop Sandoval urges his diocese
Guachochi (Agenzia Fides) – The government is absent and in its place bands of drug traffickers keep capillary control of the territory: in this situation Bishop Rafael Sandoval Sandoval, Bishop of Tarahumara diocese, in Chihuahua, said in a public statement : "Drug traffickers have taken over our Sierra, but we must take back our spaces. Our people live in fear and this must not be allowed to continue. They offer our young people easy money, quick money, much money, but they offer dirty money. We must teach values to our young people and help them understand that clean money is the fruit of honest work", he said a note sent to Fides.
The Bishop spoke openly, denouncing the grave situation in the territory, to the media and civil authorities, following numerous episodes of violence in the community of Guachochi, tormented by gangs of criminals: " Because of the violence the Sierra of Tarahumara is wounded and bleeding– he said – because so many young people are easily manipulated by big drug cartels which have their idols: money, power, firearms". Bishop Sandoval called the Catholic community and the entire civil society to launch together a campaign to educate young people, re-proposing the values of the Gospel in order to build a society which is, just, honest, peaceful and fraternal. (CE) (Agenzia Fides, 22/02/2013)
- 2014-04-15 - Tension in the area of Veracruz due to the work of the hydroelectric power plant
- 2014-04-09 - Six out of 10 children live in poverty, laws are being studied to respect the rights of children
- 2014-04-04 - All involved in finding different mechanisms to put an end to violence
- 2014-03-31 - Mgr. Calzada Guerrero’s appeal:The killings in Oaxaca are a strong wake-up call
- 2014-03-28 - The Bishops: stop with threats! The problem in the area of Veracruz can be resolved through dialogue
- 2014-03-24 - Mgr. Pierre for the 50th anniversary of the Diocese of Veracruz: "Re-launch evangelization"
- 2014-03-15 - The complaint of a Bishop: "Corruption strangles bean farmers"
- 2014-03-14 - How to respond to the challenges of the American continent
- 2014-03-05 - The phenomenon of adolescent mothers who drop out of school continues to worsen
- 2014-03-04 - Ash Wednesday: 200 priests go to prisons, to bring hope and encouragement