AMERICA/MEXICO - "Say NO to the dirty money of drug traffickers": Bishop Sandoval urges his diocese
Guachochi (Agenzia Fides) – The government is absent and in its place bands of drug traffickers keep capillary control of the territory: in this situation Bishop Rafael Sandoval Sandoval, Bishop of Tarahumara diocese, in Chihuahua, said in a public statement : "Drug traffickers have taken over our Sierra, but we must take back our spaces. Our people live in fear and this must not be allowed to continue. They offer our young people easy money, quick money, much money, but they offer dirty money. We must teach values to our young people and help them understand that clean money is the fruit of honest work", he said a note sent to Fides.
The Bishop spoke openly, denouncing the grave situation in the territory, to the media and civil authorities, following numerous episodes of violence in the community of Guachochi, tormented by gangs of criminals: " Because of the violence the Sierra of Tarahumara is wounded and bleeding– he said – because so many young people are easily manipulated by big drug cartels which have their idols: money, power, firearms". Bishop Sandoval called the Catholic community and the entire civil society to launch together a campaign to educate young people, re-proposing the values of the Gospel in order to build a society which is, just, honest, peaceful and fraternal. (CE) (Agenzia Fides, 22/02/2013)
- 2013-06-17 AMERICA/MEXICO - "To burn people alive, film them and then sell the video is the sign of ethical decline"
- 2013-06-11 AMERICA/MEXICO - The disarmament campaign continues with the help of the Church: More than 5000 weapons recovered
- 2013-06-10 AMERICA/MEXICO - "Filing immigrants is a shame", denounces Fr. Solalinde
- 2013-06-05 AMERICA/MEXICO - "One cannot live in fear": the Bishops of Michoacan ask for everyone’s commitment
- 2013-06-04 AMERICA/MEXICO - Prayers for the truce between Honduran gangs in Mexico
- 2013-06-03 AMERICA/MEXICO - 2 migrants who had denounced extortion have been killed, the Church asks for protection
- 2013-05-22 AMERICA/MEXICO - The phenomenon of child labor increases in Yucatan
- 2013-05-21 AMERICA/MEXICO - "There is less violence, but there are still no social programs," said Mgr. Gallardo
- 2013-05-21 AMERICA/MEXICO - 18,000 street children exploited and at risk of physical, psychological and sexual violence
- 2013-05-16 AMERICA/MEXICO - Poverty and unemployment for about 13 million women