ASIA/PAKISTAN -Infant Jesus of Prague soon to have a Shrine in Pakistan
Lahore (Agenzia Fides) – A statue of the Infant Jesus of Prague has arrived in Pakistan, in the diocese of Faisalabad, in Punjab, and a Shrine dedicated to the Infant Jesus is to be a centre of pilgrimage for Catholics from all over the country: Fides was told by Fr Emmanuel Parvez, parish priest of St Paul Apostle in Pansara in the diocese of Faisalabad, in Punjab, who had requested the Shrine in Prague for an image of the Infant Jesus to spread the devotion. "Next to the Shrine - Fr Emmaunel told Fides- there will be a small dispensary and nursery and primary school ". The shrine will be important for children in particular : teachers and catechists will be encouraged to organise pilgrimages and meetings to promote the mission: "We wish the centre to become a place to spread through the faith and purity of children, the peace and love of Christ in Pakistan. We ask the Infant Jesus of Prague to protect the sons and daughters of Pakistan from bloodshed, violence and death", the parish priest adds.
The statue of the Infant, awaited so expectantly by the local community, (see Fides 20/12/2012), arrived in Faisalabad through the Apostolic Nunciature. At Panasara parish more than 200 children, Christian and Muslim, organised a festive welcome with singing and dancing. At the end of the Holy Mass to celebrate the event, Fr. Parvez said "the Messiah and Saviour of the world has come among us to bring us light". Filled with enthusiasm the children promised to work hard to spread devotion to Infant Jesus of Prague in Pakistan. " Pakistan is a country afflicted by violence and terrorism, the cause of many innocent deaths. We pray that the presence of the miraculous Infant, may bring an era of peace, security and harmony. Our Muslim families and children are with us, they appreciate the initiative and support our efforts", Fr. Parvez concluded. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 22/2/2013)
- 2014-09-18 - Execution of a person sentenced to death has been suspended
- 2014-09-17 - The Commission "Justice and Peace": stop the executioner, Pakistan must not go back in time
- 2014-09-11 - Christian family flees to save their daughters from forced conversion to Islam
- 2014-09-10 - Severe floods, Caritas sends volunteers
- 2014-09-09 - Postponed until October 16 next hearing for the Asia Bibi appeal
- 2014-09-08 - 9 September, date for next hearing in the trial of Asia Bibi
- 2014-09-08 - False accusations of blasphemy, later withdrawn, against 31 Christians in a Punjab village
- 2014-09-05 - Two Christian women abducted, forced to convert to Islam and marry Muslim men
- 2014-08-21 - Violence against minorities: a 12-year-old Christian girl raped by a gang
- 2014-08-20 - Christian leaders in Pakistan: "The international community must wake up"