AMERICA/PANAMA - No to text changes in Electoral Ethics Pact
Panama (Agenzia Fides) – The Catholic Church in Panama, which proposed an “Electoral Ethics Pact " (see Fides 31/01/2013) to prevent fraud, aggression and bad use of resources in electoral campaigns, is firmly against any modification of the text, despite pressure from various political groups.
The Church’s position comes in response to a request from the Democratic Change party (CD) to allow the use of negative information, presented as a right of citizens to know the truth about candidates. The CD has made this request a condition for its signature to the Pact.
However, in a note sent to Fides by Prensa Latina, Bishop José Domingo Ulloa, one of the main promoters of the Electoral Ethics Pact, said there is only a thin line between a negative campaign and a dirty campaign, and it was therefore best to reject the request, to avoid irritating people and creating tensions.
The Bishops’ Commission for "Justice and Peace", mainly responsible for the Pact signing campaign, said it should close on 6 March. The initiative is a historic event for the country and has already prompted a change in the behaviour of political groups. (CE) (Agenzia Fides, 21/02/2013)
- 2013-03-09 AMERICA/PANAMA - The "Electoral Ethics Pact" promoted by the Church signed by the parties, not by the government
- 2013-03-05 AMERICA/PANAMA - "Do not give support to candidates who do not sign the Electoral Ethics Pact" insists the Church
- 2013-02-21 AMERICA/PANAMA - No to text changes in Electoral Ethics Pact
- 2013-01-31 AMERICA/PANAMA - The "Electoral Ethics Pact" text to defend democracy, mutual respect is ready
- 2013-01-11 AMERICA/PANAMA - Bishops denounce the "growing social disillusionment " and propose public education as a basis for development
- 2012-12-12 AMERICA/PANAMA - The Catholic Church mediates between firemen and government authorities
- 2012-12-03 AMERICA/PANAMA - Archbishop Ulloa is the new President of SEDAC
- 2012-11-30 AMERICA/PANAMA - The 500th anniversary of the first diocese: Cardinal Ouellet meets with the President of Panama; Santa Maria La Antigua’s story on the web
- 2012-11-28 AMERICA/PANAMA - Meeting of the Bishops of Central America, today the opening of the Jubilee Year for the 500th anniversary of the first diocese
- 2012-11-07 AMERICA/PANAMA - A minute of prayer for Panama across the country, dialogue in Colon reopens