AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC - " Free Central Africans from suffering": Bishops appeal
Bangui (Agenzia Fides)- End the suffering of the Central African people by fully applying the Libreville Accord reached on 11 January. This appeal was launched by the Catholic Bishops of the Central African Republic CAR in a message with the title "Let deadly ties be severed and the Central African people saved from suffocation", sent to Fides.
The Libreville accord signed by the CAR government and the Seleka rebel coalition entails, among other things, a ceasefire, the constitution of a government of national unity and the withdrawal of rebels from areas occupied by them .
However the Bishops denounce, "much of Central Africa is still occupied by the armed rebellion. The people live in fear, they are dispersed in the forest, prevented from freely engaging in their activities: the fields have been abandoned ".
Schools and hospitals are either in ruins or unable to operate , consequently, the message underlines "there is no respect for the inviolable right to physical integrity of every human person, particularly women and girls, who are repeatedly abused and raped ".
Even government buildings and church buildings are "looted, destroyed and profaned".
To address this situation the CAR Bishops call on the international community and all sides involved in the resolution of the crisis, to open paths to allow food and medicine to reach the exhausted people and to restore telephone communication. They call on the government to "shoulder its responsibility to guarantee safety of men and women religious and all central African citizens" . They urge the rebels to stop violence and looting against civilians and public and religious infrastructures. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 21/2/2013)
AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC
- 2015-11-23 - The video message from Pope Francis brought to the Muslims by the Archbishop of Bangui
- 2015-10-28 - Archbishop of Bangui tells Fides that he was not kidnapped during a visit to the Central Mosque
- 2015-10-14 - The PMS invite to "put an end to hostility and bickering" and ask for sanctions and compensation
- 2015-10-01 - AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – More clashes, but people want the stability of institutions
- 2015-09-29 - Thousands of people find refuge in parishes
- 2015-09-29 - Bangui in chaos: the reconstruction of the accidents, towards an uncertain future
- 2015-09-08 - Archbishop of Bangui: "Authority and the international community have to take on their responsibility to stop the violence"
- 2015-08-19 - The 2015 Sergio Vieira de Mello Prize will be awarded to the Interfaith Peace Platform
- 2015-07-24 - AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – Training to counter unemployment: 29 teachers receive diploma
- 2015-05-18 - "We have to be humble to have the courage to forgive one another", said the Archbishop of Bangui