AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC - " Free Central Africans from suffering": Bishops appeal
Bangui (Agenzia Fides)- End the suffering of the Central African people by fully applying the Libreville Accord reached on 11 January. This appeal was launched by the Catholic Bishops of the Central African Republic CAR in a message with the title "Let deadly ties be severed and the Central African people saved from suffocation", sent to Fides.
The Libreville accord signed by the CAR government and the Seleka rebel coalition entails, among other things, a ceasefire, the constitution of a government of national unity and the withdrawal of rebels from areas occupied by them .
However the Bishops denounce, "much of Central Africa is still occupied by the armed rebellion. The people live in fear, they are dispersed in the forest, prevented from freely engaging in their activities: the fields have been abandoned ".
Schools and hospitals are either in ruins or unable to operate , consequently, the message underlines "there is no respect for the inviolable right to physical integrity of every human person, particularly women and girls, who are repeatedly abused and raped ".
Even government buildings and church buildings are "looted, destroyed and profaned".
To address this situation the CAR Bishops call on the international community and all sides involved in the resolution of the crisis, to open paths to allow food and medicine to reach the exhausted people and to restore telephone communication. They call on the government to "shoulder its responsibility to guarantee safety of men and women religious and all central African citizens" . They urge the rebels to stop violence and looting against civilians and public and religious infrastructures. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 21/2/2013)
AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC
- 2014-03-05 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Imam of Bangui: "If we want peace, we must be impartial and condemn all forms of violence"
- 2014-02-26 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC – Work goes on at Bangui university despite chaos
- 2014-02-24 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC - “churches and mosques must be rid of armed infiltrators”: say the Catholic Archbishop and the Imam of Bangui
- 2014-02-18 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The Anti Balaka are doing more damage than Seleka", says a missionary
- 2014-02-14 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "God exists and God knows"
- 2014-02-10 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Religious leaders’ appeal: "Do not drag religion into political conflict"
- 2014-02-07 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "Christians and Muslims: the same blood, the same language, the same Country"
- 2014-02-04 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The situation in Bouar is a bit calmer although there are reprisals against the Muslims"
- 2014-01-27 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – Are the Anti Balaka really a "Christian militia"?
- 2014-01-23 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The State has collapsed, UN intervention is needed": appeal of the Archbishop of Bangui and the Imam