AMERICA/MEXICO -1,800 children’s letters say “thank you” to the Pope
Hermosillo (Agenzia Fides) – Some 1.800 letters to say ‘thank you’ to Pope Benedict XVI and ask him to pray for the children of the world were written by young participants at the First Regional Congress of Missionary Childhood and Adolescence (CORIAM) held at Hermosillo, Sonora (Mexico).
"We had trouble finding something in which to put so many letters addressed to the Pope, the few big boxes we had at the time were insufficient, and we have promised to get them to Pope Benedict XVI in Rome before February 28 " said Fr.Aldo Israel Estrella Garcia, Holy Childhood Secretary in Mexico.
According to a report sent to Fides, the Congress, held 15-17 February, was attended by more than 1,800 children and adolescents, members of IAM, from three ecclesiastic provinces Baja California, Chihuahua and Hermosillo, in northern Mexico. Among those present at the Congress the Archbishop of Hermosillo, Archbishop José Ulises Macías Salcedo and Fr Guillermo Alberto Morales Martinez, Mexico’s National PMS director.
The children took part in a Missionary March across the city from the cathedral to the sports stadium, praying as they walked for all missionaries everywhere in the world. The youngsters also called for an end to all violence in Mexico making a deeply emotional stop in total silence in front of a Crucifix, marking the site of a fire in 2009 in which 49 kindergarten pupils died.(CE) (Agenzia Fides, 20/02/2013
- 2014-11-15 - A Comboni missionary found dead in a mass grave, among other bodies
- 2014-11-13 - Mexican Bishops: "We do not want more blood, people killed or who disappear ... Enough!"
- 2014-11-11 - Show all the corruption and lies of those who have turned away from God and from the truth
- 2014-11-10 - The Bishops' appeal: "No more corruption and violence! Thorough investigation is needed"
- 2014-11-10 - The poor and the marginalized become producers of their food
- 2014-11-06 - Ecumenical Initiative: 43 hours of fasting and prayer for the 43 students of Ayotzinapa
- 2014-11-03 - The Bishops to the families of the students missing: "Hope pushes to keep fighting"
- 2014-10-30 - The families of the students who disappeared will be received by the President, Pope Francis asks for prayers
- 2014-10-27 - Living Rosary: 30 thousand faithful pray for drug traffickers and organized crime
- 2014-10-24 - Appeal and prayers for the students kidnapped: "Let them come back alive"