AMERICA/MEXICO -1,800 children’s letters say “thank you” to the Pope
Hermosillo (Agenzia Fides) – Some 1.800 letters to say ‘thank you’ to Pope Benedict XVI and ask him to pray for the children of the world were written by young participants at the First Regional Congress of Missionary Childhood and Adolescence (CORIAM) held at Hermosillo, Sonora (Mexico).
"We had trouble finding something in which to put so many letters addressed to the Pope, the few big boxes we had at the time were insufficient, and we have promised to get them to Pope Benedict XVI in Rome before February 28 " said Fr.Aldo Israel Estrella Garcia, Holy Childhood Secretary in Mexico.
According to a report sent to Fides, the Congress, held 15-17 February, was attended by more than 1,800 children and adolescents, members of IAM, from three ecclesiastic provinces Baja California, Chihuahua and Hermosillo, in northern Mexico. Among those present at the Congress the Archbishop of Hermosillo, Archbishop José Ulises Macías Salcedo and Fr Guillermo Alberto Morales Martinez, Mexico’s National PMS director.
The children took part in a Missionary March across the city from the cathedral to the sports stadium, praying as they walked for all missionaries everywhere in the world. The youngsters also called for an end to all violence in Mexico making a deeply emotional stop in total silence in front of a Crucifix, marking the site of a fire in 2009 in which 49 kindergarten pupils died.(CE) (Agenzia Fides, 20/02/2013
- 2015-05-20 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Mgr. Moreno Barron’s appeal: Go and vote, do not sell your vote
- 2015-05-19 - Six million Mexican children do not go to school because of discrimination
- 2015-05-13 - Tarahumara children sleep in schools so they are not forced to walk five hours
- 2015-05-13 - AMERICA/MEXICO – When will violence be stopped?
- 2015-05-11 - Mgr. Armendáriz to candidates: "We want proposals rather than promises"
- 2015-05-06 - The monumental image of the "Cristo de las Noas" will be donated to the diocese of Torreon
- 2015-04-30 - Toys, sweets, clothes, shoes: collection in favor of the more vulnerable indigenous children
- 2015-04-27 - Cardinal Robles: "There is corruption, mistrust, culture of violence, but we must propose a Church that goes forth"
- 2015-04-21 - Consecration of the Bishop of Orizaba: active participation of the indigenous community in Náhuatl language
- 2015-04-20 - Every day two thousand weapons smuggled into Mexico from the United States