ASIA/LEBANON - Maronite Procurator Francois Eid: “orthodox” electoral law approval is instrumental
Beirut (Agenzia Fides) – Yesterday joint commissions of the Lebanese parliament approved with a majority, article 2 of the electoral law as put forward by the so-called "orthodox group". The article in question confirms the principal according to which citizens vote only for MPs belonging to their own religion, on the basis of a proportional model which turns Lebanon into one electoral circumscription This system has the approval of Shiite representatives of Hezbollah , and of Christian political groups usually in disagreement among themselves, namely the Free Patriotic Current (led by general Michel Aoun), Lebanese Forces led by Samir Geagea and the Kataëb Party.
In months of debate, harsh criticism of the “orthodox” proposal came from the Sunni “Future” Party led by Saad Hariri, from independent Christian members of parliament and even from Lebanon’s president, Maronite Christian Michel Sleiman. "The consensus obtained by the 'orthodox' proposal, Fides was told by Mons. Francois Eid, Maronite Patriarchal Procurator to the Holy See, "should be interpreted. In itself the Law would appear to contradict the spirit of pluralism and co-existence among different religious communities which is the foundation of Lebanon’s civil and political life. For this reason it could be rejected as anti-constitutional by the Lebanese President. In Lebanon any proposal of law which contradicts the principle of co-existence of Christians and Muslims is null. I believe that much of the approval obtained by the Bill is of instrumental character : many wish to use it as a means of burying the electoral law which is a return to the model in force in the 1960s considered as unjust and unsuited to present day Lebanese society, by all with the sole exception of the progressive socialist Walid Jumblatt Druze Party ". (GV) (Agenzia Fides 20/2/2013).
- 2014-02-15 ASIA/LEBANON - The reduction of lands belonging to Christians continues
- 2014-02-10 ASIA/LEBANON - Feast of St. Maron, the Lebanese reflect on the "Bkerké Charter"
- 2014-02-05 ASIA/LEBANON - The victims of the Armenian Genocide will be canonized
- 2014-02-01 ASIA/LEBANON - Maronite priest Paul Karam new President of Caritas Lebanon
- 2014-01-23 ASIA/LEBANON - Patriarch Rai: Tripoli will not give in to the spiral of sectarian violence
- 2014-01-10 ASIA/LEBANON - The Missionary Childhood children in Lebanon help Syrian refugee children
- 2014-01-09 ASIA/LEBANON - Maronite Bishops: Lebanon looks like the Prometheus of the Middle East
- 2014-01-03 ASIA/LEBANON - The Maronite Church is against the formation of a fait accompli government and the postponement of presidential elections
- 2013-12-21 ASIA/LEBANON - Patriarch Rai: some lawyers help Catholics to convert in order to divorce
- 2013-12-19 ASIA/LEBANON - Patriarch Rai’s first "Tweet" aimed at the young people of the Middle East