ASIA/JORDAN - Caritas Director says Cardinal's visit is proof of whole Church's concern for Syrian refugees
Amman (Agenzia Fides) - "In Jordan alone there are 380 thousand refugees who fled Syria and the number grows day by day. The visit by Cardinal Robert Sarah is proof that the whole Church is concerned about this most serious humanitarian emergency, which we cannot face alone". Fides was told by Wael Suleiman, director of Caritas Jordan, commenting the arrival in the Hashemite Kingdom of the president of the Pontifical Council Cor Unum. Today Cardinal Sarah will meet 200 Syrian refugee families at the Latin Catholic parish in Zarqa. Tomorrow he will be in Amman to open the annual assembly of the regional connecting body of 17 national Caritas agencies in the Middle East and North Africa (Caritas MONA), proposing also reflections on the papal document Motu Proprio Intima Ecclesiae natura, on the Service of Charity, made public last December.
This year the Caritas MONA summit will be attended by more than 40 delegates including bishops, priests, laity and religious active in various national structures. It has been announced that those present will include the Chaldean Catholic Bishop of Aleppo, Bishop Antoine Audo, president di Caritas Syria, and the Chaldean Catholic auxiliary bishop of Baghdad, Bishop Shlemon Wardouni, president of Caritas Iraq. Tomorrow the assembly will focus on the Syrian emergency to identify needs and coordinate strategies to provide the necessary humanitarian aid and assistance. Tomorrow the summit participants are scheduled to meet Jordan’s sovereign, King Abdallah II. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 19/2/2013).
- 2014-10-20 - Archbishop Laham: 4 thousand displaced Iraqi Christians all want to emigrate to the West
- 2014-09-25 - King Abdallah II to the UN: Christians are a "constitutive" part of the Middle East
- 2014-09-17 - King Abdullah II: we will do our best to increase the presence of Arab Christians
- 2014-08-22 - Caritas Jordan welcomes Iraqi Christians put to flight by the jihadists of the Islamic State (IS)
- 2014-06-26 - Caritas distributes aid to poor Muslim families before the start of Ramadan
- 2014-06-24 - A thousand children born in the refugee camp in Zaatari. The director of Caritas: we give them a future
- 2014-05-21 - Syrian refugees await Pope Francis. The director of Caritas Jordan: they hope that the world will remember them
- 2014-05-19 - 1,400 children to receive first communion at Pope-led mass at the Amman Stadium
- 2014-05-15 - The relatives of the martyr, Archbishop Rahho write to the Pope on the eve of his pilgrimage to the Holy Land
- 2014-05-03 - A special prayer for the Pope's pilgrimage to the Holy Land