AFRICA/SUDAN - Are Islamists fleeing Mali finding refuge in Darfur?
Khartoum (Agenzia Fides)- Islamist militants, reportedly fleeing from Mali, may be finding refuge in the north of the west Sudan region of Darfur, since 2003 the scene of war between the Khartoum regime and several different local armed groups. One of these groups, more precisely JEM, the Justice and Equality Movement, has reported the presence in the area of Islamist militia fleeing Mali, chased by advancing troops from France, Mali and other African countries.
According to the Sudan Tribune, a JEM spokesman said the Sudanese government welcomed the Malian Islamists intending to deploy them in Darfur and other parts of Sudan.
In recent days other groups active in Darfur denounced the presence of Islamists fleeing from Mali. Some went as far as to speak of air lifts organised by some Arab country in view of the relocation of the militia in the Sudanese region. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 18/2/2013
- 2014-09-05 - AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN – Appeal for embargo on arms entering South Sudan, grave humanitarian crisis impending
- 2014-07-21 - AFRICA/SUDAN – Sudan bans the construction of new churches
- 2014-07-14 - Stop to the building of churches by the authorities in Khartoum
- 2014-07-09 - Torrential rains worsen the living conditions of hundreds of thousands of displaced persons
- 2014-07-02 - Humanitarian crisis and lack of investment in social sectors affect 70% of children
- 2014-06-25 - Over 4,500 homeless children in the capital of South Darfur
- 2014-06-02 - "The condemnation of Mariam Yehya Ibrahim is a direct persecution of Christians " say the Sudanese Christian Churches
- 2014-05-31 - AFRICA/SUDAN – Women in refugee camps beaten and tortured
- 2014-05-26 - Christian Churches condemn the death penalty imposed on a Christian woman accused of apostasy
- 2014-05-21 - Rapes, theft and destruction against the displaced persons in the refugee camp in Zamzam