AFRICA/SUDAN - Are Islamists fleeing Mali finding refuge in Darfur?
Khartoum (Agenzia Fides)- Islamist militants, reportedly fleeing from Mali, may be finding refuge in the north of the west Sudan region of Darfur, since 2003 the scene of war between the Khartoum regime and several different local armed groups. One of these groups, more precisely JEM, the Justice and Equality Movement, has reported the presence in the area of Islamist militia fleeing Mali, chased by advancing troops from France, Mali and other African countries.
According to the Sudan Tribune, a JEM spokesman said the Sudanese government welcomed the Malian Islamists intending to deploy them in Darfur and other parts of Sudan.
In recent days other groups active in Darfur denounced the presence of Islamists fleeing from Mali. Some went as far as to speak of air lifts organised by some Arab country in view of the relocation of the militia in the Sudanese region. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 18/2/2013
- 2013-05-16 AFRICA/SUDAN - 25 victims in the umpteenth bombing in the Nuba Mountains
- 2013-05-15 AFRICA/SUDAN - Chadian troops entered in Darfur, accusing a rebel movement
- 2013-04-05 AFRICA/SUDAN - The continuous bombing on villages in the Nuba Mountains aims to drive out the civilians
- 2013-03-13 AFRICA/SUDAN - The oil deal between Sudan and South Sudan is a prerequisite for the implementation of the agreements of 27 September
- 2013-02-21 AFRICA/SUDAN - Clashes in the Blue Nile area continue
- 2013-02-18 AFRICA/SUDAN - Are Islamists fleeing Mali finding refuge in Darfur?
- 2013-02-14 AFRICA/SUDAN - Talks between Sudan and South Sudan have been postponed
- 2013-01-24 AFRICA/SUDAN - "Stop the war in South Kordofan and Blue Nile" is what 350 African civil societies ask for
- 2013-01-07 AFRICA/SUDAN - Agreement between Sudan and South Sudan in Addis Ababa
- 2012-12-19 AFRICA/SUDAN - Khartoum has announced a major breakthrough in talks with Juba for border security