AFRICA/SUDAN - Are Islamists fleeing Mali finding refuge in Darfur?
Khartoum (Agenzia Fides)- Islamist militants, reportedly fleeing from Mali, may be finding refuge in the north of the west Sudan region of Darfur, since 2003 the scene of war between the Khartoum regime and several different local armed groups. One of these groups, more precisely JEM, the Justice and Equality Movement, has reported the presence in the area of Islamist militia fleeing Mali, chased by advancing troops from France, Mali and other African countries.
According to the Sudan Tribune, a JEM spokesman said the Sudanese government welcomed the Malian Islamists intending to deploy them in Darfur and other parts of Sudan.
In recent days other groups active in Darfur denounced the presence of Islamists fleeing from Mali. Some went as far as to speak of air lifts organised by some Arab country in view of the relocation of the militia in the Sudanese region. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 18/2/2013
- 2014-02-01 AFRICA/SUDAN - "Let us not forget the suffering of the peoples of Sudan", says the Church
- 2014-01-10 AFRICA/SUDAN - Anemia, typhoid, diarrhea and cough are the causes for thousands of deaths in South Darfur
- 2013-12-13 AFRICA/SUDAN - 25% less aid to 6 million Sudanese in difficulty
- 2013-12-12 AFRICA/SUDAN - The military hospitals refuse to treat the militiamen
- 2013-11-15 AFRICA/SUDAN - Armed militiamen attack farmers and take turns raping women farmers in North Darfur
- 2013-11-12 AFRICA/SUDAN - 7000 inhabitants in South Darfur do not have drinking water and basic services
- 2013-11-06 AFRICA/SUDAN - Air raid on a school in the area of the Nuba Mountains: people killed and wounded
- 2013-10-15 AFRICA/SUDAN - Training courses for Sudanese teachers in refugee camps in Chad
- 2013-09-27 AFRICA/SUDAN - Dozens killed in clashes in Khartoum during the protests for the rise in fuel prices
- 2013-09-26 AFRICA/SUDAN - Increasing acts of intimidation against the Church