AFRICA/EGYPT - Insituted, National Council of Christian Churches
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) – Representatives of several different Christian denominations present in Egypt met this morning in St Mark’s Coptic Orthodox cathedral in the capital’s al-Abbasiy district, to sign the statutes of the country’s first National Council of Christian Churches. Attending the founding meeting, leading members of 5 churches, present in Egypt (Coptic-Orthodox, Coptic-Catholic, Greek Orthodox, Anglican and Evangelical), each heading a delegation of five representatives of the respective denomination. Those present included Coptic-Orthodox Patriarch, Tawadros II, Coptic Catholic Patriarch Ibrahim Isaac Sidrak and Theodoros II, Greek Orthodox Patriarch of Alexandria.
"The new body" Fides learned from Bishop Kiryllos William, Coptic Catholic Bishop of Assiut, "will help us proceed together along the path of ecumenism, and reveal our shared position regarding dialogue and peaceful co-habitation with non Christians. It will also certainly provide opportunities for shared social and cultural initiatives ". Bishop Kyrillos underlined that the new Council "will have no strictly political profile and certainly no ability to exercise binding authority over the activity of the individual Churches". However, its foundation is an important factor for the future of the Christian communities in Egypt, and confirms the ecumenical awareness of the new Coptic-Orthodox Patriarch, installed November last year : "Tawadros" says Anba Kyrillos "gave full support in order to hasten the inauguration of the new body, and plans for its institution existed even before his election".
In the meantime, on Sunday, several hundred Coptic Orthodox Christians staged a march to Egypt’s High Court to protest against the torching, on the part of Islamist extremists, of Mar Girgis church on Friday 15 February, in the prefecture of Fayoum. (GV). (Agenzia Fides 18/02/2013).
- 2014-04-16 - Candidates Sabbahi and al-Sisi at the Easter Vigil to be celebrated by Coptic Pope Tawadros
- 2014-03-31 - The false accusations against St. Catherine's Monastery have been rejected
- 2014-03-29 - Clashes after the Islamist assault on a church. Four dead
- 2014-03-26 - AFRICA/EGYPT – Board of inquiry: violence against Copts continues
- 2014-03-25 - Coptic Catholic Bishop on the sentences regarding the Muslim Brotherhood: the Church is always against the death penalty
- 2014-03-24 - Patriarch Tawadros: the so-called "Arab Spring" was actually a winter
- 2014-03-06 - AFRICA/EGYPT – Coptic politician Shukrallah: what worries me is the possible return of the military to power
- 2014-03-01 - 62nd Catholic Festival of Egyptian Cinema opening ceremony
- 2014-02-25 - AFRICA/EGYPT – New rules for election of Orthodox Coptic Pope examined by civil authorities
- 2014-02-25 - “These extremists are shedding innocent blood to get more visibility” says Archbishop Martinelli