AFRICA/CONGO DR - Contrasts between African countries and the UN on the neutral force in the Great Lakes
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - Contrasts and controversies prevent the establishment of a neutral international force responsible for chasing the "negative forces" (the guerrillas) in the Great Lakes Region and particularly in North Kivu (eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo). The creation of the force had been agreed at a summit in Addis Ababa of the International Conference on the Great Lakes Region (ICGLR).
The contrasts were born between the SADC (Southern African community of the States), under whose responsibility the force should be established, and the UN. The latter, supported by France and the United States wants to send 4,000 soldiers in the region are under its aegis. The SADC (with South Africa and Tanzania and it appears with the support of London) instead wants the task force to be entirely African without the involvement of the UN, which has already on the ground the peacekeepers of MONUSCO.
The South African military are already part of MONUSCO and other South African troops were sent to Central Africa (see Fides 07/01/2013). The South African army according to the local press can contribute to the new force with a maximum of one hundred soldiers. Too few for a Country, but alone is not able to handle emergencies that occur on many fronts open in Africa. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 15/02/2013)
- 2014-10-17 - At least 30 people have died in the guerrilla assault in the town of Beni
- 2014-10-16 - Bishops' strong condemnation regarding the attack against priests and religious women in Lodja
- 2014-10-14 - New threats to priests and religious women because of the opposition of the Bishops to the constitutional amendment
- 2014-10-06 - Violence in the areas that the army has declared "free" from the guerrillas continue
- 2014-10-02 - Initiatives on behalf of "Justice and Peace" for reconciliation between Congolese and Rwandans
- 2014-09-22 - More than 70,000 children accused of witchcraft and persecuted
- 2014-09-17 - "No to the revision of the Constitution, because it puts at risk the stability of the Country", say the Bishops
- 2014-09-15 - “A lively Church but the faith needs to be deepened” says President of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference
- 2014-09-12 - Civil society: "the press in Rwanda is being provocative with regards to the border lines"
- 2014-09-02 - Dismay for the death, only months apart, of the two army officers who defeated M23