AFRICA/CONGO DR - Contrasts between African countries and the UN on the neutral force in the Great Lakes
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - Contrasts and controversies prevent the establishment of a neutral international force responsible for chasing the "negative forces" (the guerrillas) in the Great Lakes Region and particularly in North Kivu (eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo). The creation of the force had been agreed at a summit in Addis Ababa of the International Conference on the Great Lakes Region (ICGLR).
The contrasts were born between the SADC (Southern African community of the States), under whose responsibility the force should be established, and the UN. The latter, supported by France and the United States wants to send 4,000 soldiers in the region are under its aegis. The SADC (with South Africa and Tanzania and it appears with the support of London) instead wants the task force to be entirely African without the involvement of the UN, which has already on the ground the peacekeepers of MONUSCO.
The South African military are already part of MONUSCO and other South African troops were sent to Central Africa (see Fides 07/01/2013). The South African army according to the local press can contribute to the new force with a maximum of one hundred soldiers. Too few for a Country, but alone is not able to handle emergencies that occur on many fronts open in Africa. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 15/02/2013)
- 2015-06-30 - Bishops denounce insecurity and threats to family
- 2015-06-25 - "We respect the Constitution, no to Kabila’s third term", says civil society in South Kivu
- 2015-06-17 - "One votes on the basis of the existing electoral rolls" says the archdiocese of Kisangani
- 2015-06-12 - The UN representative offers himself as a mediator in the national dialogue
- 2015-06-09 - After the Bishops also civil society denounces the massacres committed by jihadists in Beni, "the world must intervene"
- 2015-06-05 - International ecumenical initiative launched to accompany the 2016 elections
- 2015-06-02 - The Bishops’ request to the President: "A national dialogue in accordance with the Constitution"
- 2015-05-26 - The Bishops denounce: "In eastern Congo three basic training camps for jihadists; but the UN observes without intervening"
- 2015-05-22 - Civil society denounces the ambiguous role of the army in the massacres in the territory of Beni
- 2015-05-18 - Prayers and mobilization of the population to demand an end of attacks by Ugandan rebels