AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Dialogue for peace between the government and FARC, the Church will not go to Cuba
Bogota (Agenzia Fides) - The Archbishop of Bogota, Cardinal Rubén Salazar Gómez, announced that the Catholic Church is not going to Havana, capital of Cuba, in response to the invitation to the Colombian Bishops from the guerrilla leader Ivan Marquez, to participate in the peace talks between the government and the FARC.
"I have not received any formal invitation from the FARC. I do not think they are those who have to send out invitations, because we are well aware of what is our task. So it is perfectly clear to us that we have nothing to do with going to Havana, " Cardinal Salazar said in a statement sent to Fides Agency by Radio Caracol. The government has not yet required the intervention of the Colombian Bishops.
According to the international press, the head of the peace delegation of the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC), Ivan Marquez, expressed his satisfaction with the national march of prayer organized by the Catholic Church to support the peace process, but killings and kidnappings continue in Colombia that make the path to peace difficult. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 14/02/2013)
- 2015-01-26 - We need leaders who are committed and not "deaf and dumb authorities" says Mgr. Epalza
- 2014-12-22 - Even from pain comes the hope of peace, the process continues
- 2014-12-18 - For Mgr. Falla Robles: "The unilateral cease-fire should take place without any conditions"
- 2014-12-13 - SOS of the Bishop on the proliferation of dengue fever
- 2014-12-05 - Peace talks resume December 10
- 2014-12-02 - Satisfaction for the release of the General, but it is necessary to resume talks for a definite peace
- 2014-12-01 - Children are half of the victims of landmines and prohibited explosive devices
- 2014-11-29 - Observatory for Reconciliation and Peace is created
- 2014-11-27 - Hunger and chronic malnutrition cause the death of a child every 33 hours
- 2014-11-26 - Sexual violence on women: a forgotten medical emergency