AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Dialogue for peace between the government and FARC, the Church will not go to Cuba
Bogota (Agenzia Fides) - The Archbishop of Bogota, Cardinal Rubén Salazar Gómez, announced that the Catholic Church is not going to Havana, capital of Cuba, in response to the invitation to the Colombian Bishops from the guerrilla leader Ivan Marquez, to participate in the peace talks between the government and the FARC.
"I have not received any formal invitation from the FARC. I do not think they are those who have to send out invitations, because we are well aware of what is our task. So it is perfectly clear to us that we have nothing to do with going to Havana, " Cardinal Salazar said in a statement sent to Fides Agency by Radio Caracol. The government has not yet required the intervention of the Colombian Bishops.
According to the international press, the head of the peace delegation of the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC), Ivan Marquez, expressed his satisfaction with the national march of prayer organized by the Catholic Church to support the peace process, but killings and kidnappings continue in Colombia that make the path to peace difficult. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 14/02/2013)
- 2014-08-20 - "Only mercy can make justice a reality", said Cardinal Salazar Gómez
- 2014-08-18 - The first 12 members of the delegation of the victims will participate in Peace Talks which take place in Cuba
- 2014-08-13 - Dialogues of Peace between the government and FARC
- 2014-08-01 - The Church: stop the violence, but do not stop peace talks
- 2014-07-28 - Guerrilla groups become political parties: for the Church this is a positive step
- 2014-07-11 - After the Bishops also international organizations denounce the serious situation in Chocò
- 2014-07-10 - The new President of the Episcopate reiterates that peace is the great challenge of the country
- 2014-07-09 - In the region of Chocò: "We are forgotten by all, we have no protection, people live in anguish"
- 2014-07-05 - The Assembly of Bishops begins: Analysis of social reality and new directives
- 2014-07-03 - Historic meeting between religious communities for peace in the country