AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Dialogue for peace between the government and FARC, the Church will not go to Cuba
Bogota (Agenzia Fides) - The Archbishop of Bogota, Cardinal Rubén Salazar Gómez, announced that the Catholic Church is not going to Havana, capital of Cuba, in response to the invitation to the Colombian Bishops from the guerrilla leader Ivan Marquez, to participate in the peace talks between the government and the FARC.
"I have not received any formal invitation from the FARC. I do not think they are those who have to send out invitations, because we are well aware of what is our task. So it is perfectly clear to us that we have nothing to do with going to Havana, " Cardinal Salazar said in a statement sent to Fides Agency by Radio Caracol. The government has not yet required the intervention of the Colombian Bishops.
According to the international press, the head of the peace delegation of the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC), Ivan Marquez, expressed his satisfaction with the national march of prayer organized by the Catholic Church to support the peace process, but killings and kidnappings continue in Colombia that make the path to peace difficult. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 14/02/2013)
- 2015-07-31 - Day of Protest against human trafficking: child soldiers still used by FARC
- 2015-07-30 - Updated Spanish version of the New Testament
- 2015-07-16 - AMERICA/COLOMBIA – Priest murdered in the sacristy as he was about to celebrate mass
- 2015-07-13 - Once the peace agreement is signed, the real challenge of the government will be how to handle the situation
- 2015-07-09 - "The peace process is alive", said Mgr. Castro Quiroga; letter of the religious leaders
- 2015-06-24 - Latin American Religious give their full support and unreserved commitment for Peace in Colombia
- 2015-06-17 - Silent march in Tumaco: after 60 years of violence it is now time to form "a truly civilized society"
- 2015-06-10 - The inhabitants of port of Buenaventura subjected to "collective torture"
- 2015-06-09 - Human trafficking, new areopagus of consecrated life in Latin America
- 2015-05-26 - "Stop deaths! An agreement has to be reached as soon as possible", asks Cardinal Salazar Gómez