AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Dialogue for peace between the government and FARC, the Church will not go to Cuba
Bogota (Agenzia Fides) - The Archbishop of Bogota, Cardinal Rubén Salazar Gómez, announced that the Catholic Church is not going to Havana, capital of Cuba, in response to the invitation to the Colombian Bishops from the guerrilla leader Ivan Marquez, to participate in the peace talks between the government and the FARC.
"I have not received any formal invitation from the FARC. I do not think they are those who have to send out invitations, because we are well aware of what is our task. So it is perfectly clear to us that we have nothing to do with going to Havana, " Cardinal Salazar said in a statement sent to Fides Agency by Radio Caracol. The government has not yet required the intervention of the Colombian Bishops.
According to the international press, the head of the peace delegation of the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC), Ivan Marquez, expressed his satisfaction with the national march of prayer organized by the Catholic Church to support the peace process, but killings and kidnappings continue in Colombia that make the path to peace difficult. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 14/02/2013)
- 2015-11-24 - Peace process: no need to hasten the signing without verifying the international law
- 2015-11-21 - The Church: need to clarify the referendum to have lasting peace
- 2015-11-19 - "There are connections between the conflicts in the Middle East and environmental issues" says a Jesuit
- 2015-11-16 - Poverty on the rise in Santa Fe and Chapinero: daily wage and lack of retirement among the causes
- 2015-11-12 - Meeting of the Pan-Amazonian Network: necessity to listen to indigenous peoples to protect creation
- 2015-10-20 - Mgr. Castro Quiroga: "The opening of dialogue with ELN is positive news"
- 2015-10-19 - "Pope Francis" food bank for needy families in Villavicencio
- 2015-10-09 - Cardinal Pimiento: "Vote-buying is a crime"
- 2015-10-02 - Become peacemakers: 400 priests offer the opportunity to receive the sacrament of reconciliation
- 2015-09-24 - Colombia towards peace through the path of reconciliation