AMERICA/CUBA - Pioneers of the economy in the Archdiocese of Santiago de Cuba
Santiago de Cuba (Agenzia Fides) – On March 5, 2013 the "Course for small business entrepreneurs" starts in the parish of "St. Therese of the Child Jesus" of the Archdiocese of Santiago de Cuba, promoted and directed by the group "Service of Family Promotion "(SPF), of the department of the Society of Jesus. The goal is the development of local human culture through training and business ethics.
A note sent to Fides Agency by the Episcopal Conference of Cuba reports that the project started in 2006 thanks to the initiative of the parish priest of the church of the Sagrada Familia, Father Mariano Ibar Albiñana Ibar and Mr. Carlos Fernández Hernández, who together started a service of economic solidarity and support through a system of micro-loans for people with limited resources. The project was then extended in 2008 thanks to a group of men and women who work as teachers and project examiners of integral development through conferences, project evaluations and mini solidarity loans, to enable families in need to start a business in order to improve the quality of life.
The experiences and results obtained in the course of five years by the SPF has attracted the attention of other parishes of the Jesuits in Cienfuegos and Havana. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 13/02/2013)
- 2015-04-24 - The Pope's visit will support the Cuban Church in its attention to the cause of peace and the common good
- 2015-04-24 - Secular Franciscans in Cuba: more and more involved in parishes
- 2015-03-26 - Cardinal Ortega: "dialogue, the new name of love"
- 2015-03-11 - A new church will be built in Cuba, the first since 1959
- 2015-03-09 - Conclusions of the XI Meeting of the National Directors of the PMS of America
- 2015-03-04 - Nearly half a million children will be vaccinated against polio
- 2015-03-03 - AMERICA/CUBA – Towards CAM 5: Continental Meeting of the PMS America
- 2015-02-19 - First steps in process to re-establish USA Cuba relations
- 2014-12-18 - "New horizons of hope brighten the lives of the Cuban people", says the Bishops' Conference
- 2014-11-13 - Poverty forces children to beg in the streets and work