AMERICA/CUBA - Pioneers of the economy in the Archdiocese of Santiago de Cuba
Santiago de Cuba (Agenzia Fides) – On March 5, 2013 the "Course for small business entrepreneurs" starts in the parish of "St. Therese of the Child Jesus" of the Archdiocese of Santiago de Cuba, promoted and directed by the group "Service of Family Promotion "(SPF), of the department of the Society of Jesus. The goal is the development of local human culture through training and business ethics.
A note sent to Fides Agency by the Episcopal Conference of Cuba reports that the project started in 2006 thanks to the initiative of the parish priest of the church of the Sagrada Familia, Father Mariano Ibar Albiñana Ibar and Mr. Carlos Fernández Hernández, who together started a service of economic solidarity and support through a system of micro-loans for people with limited resources. The project was then extended in 2008 thanks to a group of men and women who work as teachers and project examiners of integral development through conferences, project evaluations and mini solidarity loans, to enable families in need to start a business in order to improve the quality of life.
The experiences and results obtained in the course of five years by the SPF has attracted the attention of other parishes of the Jesuits in Cienfuegos and Havana. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 13/02/2013)
- 2015-09-22 - "Mission houses": places of community life and strength of the Church in Cuba
- 2015-09-12 - Amnesty for 3522 prisoners: the Bishops express their satisfaction with "this act of mercy"
- 2015-09-09 - Feast of Our Lady of Charity, Patroness of Cuba, in the view of the Pope’s visit
- 2015-08-21 - The Cuban government "appreciates the role of the Church", said Mgr. Hernández
- 2015-08-13 - Pope Francis in Cuba special government webpage and Divine Mercy logo
- 2015-07-02 - Food sovereignty and other initiatives resume power thanks to CELAM
- 2015-06-19 - Catholic radio through Internet
- 2015-06-02 - Pastoral Plan for the Church in Cuba: "a dynamic, open and missionary communion"
- 2015-04-24 - The Pope's visit will support the Cuban Church in its attention to the cause of peace and the common good
- 2015-04-24 - Secular Franciscans in Cuba: more and more involved in parishes