AMERICA/CUBA - Pioneers of the economy in the Archdiocese of Santiago de Cuba
Santiago de Cuba (Agenzia Fides) – On March 5, 2013 the "Course for small business entrepreneurs" starts in the parish of "St. Therese of the Child Jesus" of the Archdiocese of Santiago de Cuba, promoted and directed by the group "Service of Family Promotion "(SPF), of the department of the Society of Jesus. The goal is the development of local human culture through training and business ethics.
A note sent to Fides Agency by the Episcopal Conference of Cuba reports that the project started in 2006 thanks to the initiative of the parish priest of the church of the Sagrada Familia, Father Mariano Ibar Albiñana Ibar and Mr. Carlos Fernández Hernández, who together started a service of economic solidarity and support through a system of micro-loans for people with limited resources. The project was then extended in 2008 thanks to a group of men and women who work as teachers and project examiners of integral development through conferences, project evaluations and mini solidarity loans, to enable families in need to start a business in order to improve the quality of life.
The experiences and results obtained in the course of five years by the SPF has attracted the attention of other parishes of the Jesuits in Cienfuegos and Havana. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 13/02/2013)
- 2013-03-20 AMERICA/CUBA - Good Friday: granted non-working day
- 2013-02-13 AMERICA/CUBA - Pioneers of the economy in the Archdiocese of Santiago de Cuba
- 2013-01-26 AMERICA/CUBA - In Granma the government returns two schools and land to the Catholic Church
- 2012-12-13 AMERICA/CUBA - 50 days after the hurricane, thousands of people are still homeless and without services
- 2012-11-21 AMERICA/CUBA - Cardinal Ortega’s Letter for the Year of Faith, "a meditation on this historic moment to promote the encounter of the Cuban people with Jesus"
- 2012-11-14 AMERICA/CUBA - A "sheet" that managed to arrive where the Church did not arrive...for 50 years
- 2012-11-06 AMERICA/CUBA - "Hurricane Sandy hits Cuba: houses and churches destroyed, lack of food, electricity and telephone line, but nobody talks about it": dramatic testimony from Santiago de Cuba
- 2012-04-03 AMERICA/CUBA - Good Friday as a public holiday and a Cardinal Ortega’s message broadcast on national television
- 2012-03-26 AMERICA/CUBA - Cuban Catholics are ready to welcome Pope Benedict, "Pilgrim of Love"
- 2012-03-22 AMERICA/CUBA - "The expectation that I hear in all the Christian communities for the arrival of Benedict XVI is the same as 14 years ago, for John Paul II’s visit," says Fr. Raul Rodriguez