AMERICA/CUBA - Pioneers of the economy in the Archdiocese of Santiago de Cuba
Santiago de Cuba (Agenzia Fides) – On March 5, 2013 the "Course for small business entrepreneurs" starts in the parish of "St. Therese of the Child Jesus" of the Archdiocese of Santiago de Cuba, promoted and directed by the group "Service of Family Promotion "(SPF), of the department of the Society of Jesus. The goal is the development of local human culture through training and business ethics.
A note sent to Fides Agency by the Episcopal Conference of Cuba reports that the project started in 2006 thanks to the initiative of the parish priest of the church of the Sagrada Familia, Father Mariano Ibar Albiñana Ibar and Mr. Carlos Fernández Hernández, who together started a service of economic solidarity and support through a system of micro-loans for people with limited resources. The project was then extended in 2008 thanks to a group of men and women who work as teachers and project examiners of integral development through conferences, project evaluations and mini solidarity loans, to enable families in need to start a business in order to improve the quality of life.
The experiences and results obtained in the course of five years by the SPF has attracted the attention of other parishes of the Jesuits in Cienfuegos and Havana. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 13/02/2013)
- 2014-01-17 - Cooperation projects in a different Cuba
- 2013-12-21 - New Year in the sign of commitment towards family and missionary proclamation, in a different Cuba
- 2013-10-23 - School Education for disabled children
- 2013-10-22 - Entrepreneurs trained in courses promoted by the Catholic Church
- 2013-09-16 - "Hope does not disappoint", Cuban Bishops' letter asking for political reforms
- 2013-03-20 - Good Friday: granted non-working day
- 2013-02-13 - Pioneers of the economy in the Archdiocese of Santiago de Cuba
- 2013-01-26 - In Granma the government returns two schools and land to the Catholic Church
- 2012-12-13 - 50 days after the hurricane, thousands of people are still homeless and without services
- 2012-11-21 - Cardinal Ortega’s Letter for the Year of Faith, "a meditation on this historic moment to promote the encounter of the Cuban people with Jesus"