AMERICA/HONDURAS - After 438 years the parish of Carmel comes back to life
Yojoa (Agenzia Fides) - There was a big crowd on Sunday, February 10 in Yojoa in the Department of Cortés, Honduras, to see up close the old adobe floor of one of the most ancient temples in Honduras, built in the late sixteenth century, as explained by the Bishop of San Pedro Sula, His Exc. Mgr. Angel Garachana Pérez, C.M.F. The community expressed with great applause the joy for the "historic" decision of the Bishop: to restore as a parish the ancient church of Our Lady of Mount Carmel in Yojoa. The priests of the Fraternity Missionary of Mary will be in charge of the new parish.
The parish was erected in 1575 and the church consecrated on July 16, 1600. The note sent to Fides by the Fides Honduras Weekly reports that Father Fabian Rodas, expressed his joy for this pastoral start in a new area. "We as a Fraternity Missionary of Mary - he explained - have a threefold charisma: the importance of living in community, the missionary charism to go to the Churches in need and the Marian charism, which puts us where the Church asks of us." The Department of Cortés, which is Yojoa, is a department in north-western Honduras. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 12/02/2013)
- 2015-10-02 - Honduran Missionary receives an award for human rights
- 2015-09-23 - Mgr. Emiliani denounces the "violent reactions in the face of any situation"
- 2015-09-21 - "Honduras is sick of hate", warns Cardinal Rodriguez Maradiaga
- 2015-09-09 - Children resist famine thanks to school snacks
- 2015-07-17 - Sexual abuse on children have repercussions in adulthood
- 2015-07-15 - A new ward for children suffering from dengue and chikungunya
- 2015-07-15 - Campaign of the diocese of San Pedro Sula: "An honest man is not corrupt"
- 2015-07-06 - Still demonstrations against corruption, while other scandals come to light
- 2015-07-03 - The Bishops offer their support to dialogue for social peace
- 2015-06-27 - The Church: "politics without corruption"