AMERICA/HONDURAS - After 438 years the parish of Carmel comes back to life
Yojoa (Agenzia Fides) - There was a big crowd on Sunday, February 10 in Yojoa in the Department of Cortés, Honduras, to see up close the old adobe floor of one of the most ancient temples in Honduras, built in the late sixteenth century, as explained by the Bishop of San Pedro Sula, His Exc. Mgr. Angel Garachana Pérez, C.M.F. The community expressed with great applause the joy for the "historic" decision of the Bishop: to restore as a parish the ancient church of Our Lady of Mount Carmel in Yojoa. The priests of the Fraternity Missionary of Mary will be in charge of the new parish.
The parish was erected in 1575 and the church consecrated on July 16, 1600. The note sent to Fides by the Fides Honduras Weekly reports that Father Fabian Rodas, expressed his joy for this pastoral start in a new area. "We as a Fraternity Missionary of Mary - he explained - have a threefold charisma: the importance of living in community, the missionary charism to go to the Churches in need and the Marian charism, which puts us where the Church asks of us." The Department of Cortés, which is Yojoa, is a department in north-western Honduras. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 12/02/2013)
- 2015-03-03 - There are 6000 teachers: one million children do not go to school
- 2015-02-03 - Card. Maradiaga supports the "Plan de la Alianza para la Prosperidad"
- 2015-01-15 - Over 3000 child beggars on the streets of big cities
- 2014-12-29 - Violence continues to affect mainly children and adolescents
- 2014-11-27 - Violence against women decreases, but there is still an impressive number of cases
- 2014-10-23 - A new location of the detention center in San Pedro Sula for the sake of prisoners
- 2014-10-22 - The right to food for 700,000 people suffering hunger: it is not food that is lacking, but justice
- 2014-10-13 - "Caminando con amor": 5,000 pairs of shoes have been distributed for children at risk
- 2014-08-19 - The church calls on the authorities to change the situation in prisons
- 2014-07-23 - The Bishop of Choluteca: 5000 people are forced to put their lives at risk in mines every day