ASIA/SYRIA - Two priests kidnapped by the rebels. Archbishop Marayati: let us wait to know what they want
Aleppo (Agenzia Fides) - The fate of the two priests Michel Kayyal (Armenian Catholic) and Maher Mahfouz (Greek Orthodox) kidnapped by a group of armed rebels on Saturday, February 9 on the road that leads from Aleppo to Damascus remains unknown. So far the purpose of the seizure is not clear nor the faction of the group of kidnappers, but eloquent details emerge on the dynamics of the kidnapping. "The two priests - the Armenian Catholic Archbishop of Aleppo reports to Fides Agency, Boutros Marayati - were traveling on a public bus, along with many other people. They were heading to the Salesian house in Kafrun, together with the Salesian priest Fr. Charbel. Thirty miles outside of Aleppo, the rebels stopped the vehicle, checked the passengers' documents and then they told only the two priests to get out of the vehicle and brought them away with them right away. They said nothing to the Salesian priest. Before leaving, they said that they would say something about their conditions. But so far family members and all of us have not received any message." Among the priests’ relatives and all the Christians of Aleppo, as time goes by, there is growing apprehension. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 12/02/2013).
- 2015-10-12 - Father Jihad (Community of Deir Mar Musa): we thank Christians and Muslims who prayed for the release of father Murad
- 2015-10-08 - The jihadists release the video of the execution of three Assyrian hostages
- 2015-10-07 - Video released on the Christians in Qaryatayn who sign a "protection pact"
- 2015-10-02 - Archbishop Hindo " McCain’s disturbing words on anti-Assad rebels armed by the CIA"
- 2015-09-29 - Bishop Abou Khazen: the choices of the West on the Syrian conflict continue to be inconsiderate
- 2015-09-25 - The self-defense "Sotoro" militias shoot each other
- 2015-09-18 - The Marists in Aleppo: there is a risk of getting used to horror
- 2015-09-15 - Four Christians among the victims of the jihadist attack in Hassaké
- 2015-09-08 - Archbishop Hindo: the demands of the jihadists for the release of the Assyrian hostages are more accessible
- 2015-09-04 - Negotiations on the release of father Murad and 270 hostages, Christians and Muslims