ASIA/SYRIA - Two priests kidnapped by the rebels. Archbishop Marayati: let us wait to know what they want
Aleppo (Agenzia Fides) - The fate of the two priests Michel Kayyal (Armenian Catholic) and Maher Mahfouz (Greek Orthodox) kidnapped by a group of armed rebels on Saturday, February 9 on the road that leads from Aleppo to Damascus remains unknown. So far the purpose of the seizure is not clear nor the faction of the group of kidnappers, but eloquent details emerge on the dynamics of the kidnapping. "The two priests - the Armenian Catholic Archbishop of Aleppo reports to Fides Agency, Boutros Marayati - were traveling on a public bus, along with many other people. They were heading to the Salesian house in Kafrun, together with the Salesian priest Fr. Charbel. Thirty miles outside of Aleppo, the rebels stopped the vehicle, checked the passengers' documents and then they told only the two priests to get out of the vehicle and brought them away with them right away. They said nothing to the Salesian priest. Before leaving, they said that they would say something about their conditions. But so far family members and all of us have not received any message." Among the priests’ relatives and all the Christians of Aleppo, as time goes by, there is growing apprehension. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 12/02/2013).
- 2015-05-28 - Appeal of the Marists of Aleppo to the Pope: if you want Christians to remain, the war must be stopped
- 2015-05-27 - Assyrian hostages: jihadists release two women
- 2015-05-26 - The jihadists retreat from the villages on the river Khabur, leaving destroyed crosses and vandalized churches
- 2015-05-25 - Syrian Catholic Patriarch Ignace Youssif III: prayer and fasting for father Murad and deacon Hanna’s release
- 2015-05-22 - ASIA/SYRIA – Fr. Jacques Murad kidnapped; he belonged to the same community of Father Paolo Dall'Oglio
- 2015-05-13 - Raid of the coalition in the Khabur valley; Assyrian hostages are likely to become "human shields"
- 2015-05-08 - Chaldean Bishop of Aleppo: in dirty wars in the Middle East there are those who exploit the suffering of Christians
- 2015-04-30 - Archbishop Hindo: "jihadi attack warded off in Hassaké. Deadlock in negotiations for the release of Assyrian hostages"
- 2015-04-17 - Christian Cemeteries vandalized in Mosul and in Galilee
- 2015-04-17 - The Syrian government dedicates a garden to the Martyrs of the Assyrian Genocide in the center of Damascus