ASIA/PAKISTAN - World Day of the Sick: "Take care of the sick and preach the Gospel"
Okara (Agenzia Fides) - On February 11 the World Day of the Sick was celebrated. Worldwide several initiatives were promoted, among them the Lay Camillian Family (LCF) together with the group of charismatic prayer St. Camillus, animated a Mass celebrated in the church of Our Lady of Mercy in Rehmpur, Okara, in the diocese of Faisalabad. The celebration was presided by Father Mushtaq Anjum, MI, concelebrated by the parish priest, Father Samson Peter, and father Samuel Saeed. The Camillian priest, in his homily, wanted to highlight the responsibility of family members towards the treatment and care of their patients. "People suffering have always been a priority for Jesus Christ," said Father Mushtaq to Fides Agency. "In addition, we as baptized faithful to Christ, lay Camillians and health professionals, must continue to follow his mandate which is to heal the sick and preach the Gospel." "The celebration of the Day – continued the priest - calls us Christians to become “Good Samaritans” and take care of the sick; it equally calls the healthcare workers to act like Christ and become instruments of healing and good health to those entrusted to their care." In this Year of Faith we are particularly called to put into practice our faith in the service of the sick," concludes Father Mushtaq. At the end of Mass, the group of lay Camillians visited the sick in their homes, bringing the Eucharist and stopping to pray with them. Among them, a poor man with heart problems that members of the LCF decided to help and assist for his medical needs. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 12/02/2013)
- 2013-06-14 ASIA/PAKISTAN - Christians oppressed by abuse and usury in Punjab
- 2013-06-10 ASIA/PAKISTAN - Christians "treated like animals" by Muslims in Punjab
- 2013-06-06 ASIA/PAKISTAN - Extremists who burned the Christian area have been released; the man accused of blasphemy on trial
- 2013-06-05 ASIA/PAKISTAN - Nawaz Sharif is Prime Minister, religious minorities are pessimistic with regards to the blasphemy issue
- 2013-06-04 ASIA/PAKISTAN - Pressures of the police to save the rapists of a young Christian
- 2013-06-03 ASIA/PAKISTAN - What does the future hold for Christians after the election? The problem concerning blasphemy
- 2013-05-29 ASIA/PAKISTAN - Bishops to the government: no to religious discrimination in textbooks
- 2013-05-22 ASIA/PAKISTAN - A Catholic student killed in the village of Kushpur
- 2013-05-21 ASIA/PAKISTAN - New Violence against Christians in South Punjab: appeal to politics
- 2013-05-20 ASIA/PAKISTAN - Pentecost for Christians in Pakistan: "United in diversity"