ASIA/MYANMAR - The Burmese people entrusts the peace of the country to the Virgin Mary
Nyaunglebin (Agenzia Fides) - The pilgrimage of over 70 thousand Catholic faithful and non, to the Marian Shrine of Nyaunglebin (the most famous in Myanmar), on the feast of Our Lady of Lourdes, was an opportunity to entrust to the Virgin Mary the delicate and decisive theme of peace in the country: as reported to Fides Agency, is what the Archbishop of Yangon, His Exc. Mgr. Charles Maug Bo said during the Holy Mass at the conclusion of the solemn novena that characterized the celebration of the Marian feast on 11 February at the Shrine. In the days before the event, more than 70 thousand pilgrims came from all over the country, offering Masses, prayers and Rosaries.
The Archbishop, speaking to the crowd, recalled Mary’s faithfulness and the faithfulness of God the Father, who "keeps the promises towards his people." For this, referring to the current situation that Myanmar is living, Mgr. Bo placed emphasis on the ongoing conflict in the country between the government army and the Kachin rebels.
"Since 1948, the year of independence - he said - there has not been a year without war. We must learn that war does not solve problems, but it increases hatred and destruction."
For this, he continued, "we need to discuss, negotiate and find ways and means for a peaceful solution", enumerating the tragic consequences of the ongoing conflict: "Corpses, refugees, lack of food and security, lack of education and the suffering of children and women. " It is time to "sit at a table, talk, listen, build trust," urged the Archbishop, recalling "those who have more power and have more responsibility" and launches an appeal to the warring parties for an immediate ceasefire. Finally, Mgr. Bo said that "if we want to change our society, our country and our world, we must begin to change ourselves." (PA) (Agenzia Fides 12/02/2012)
- 2014-08-19 - End of the war and federal solution: the Burmese Bishops' appeal
- 2014-07-30 - Archbishop Bo: "Unity and peace for the family of Myanmar"
- 2014-07-04 - Change starts from education, says the Archbishop of Mandalay
- 2014-06-13 - The proposed anti-conversion bill poses a threat to religious freedom
- 2014-06-10 - Three years of war and abuse on ethnic minorities: appeal for peace by civil society
- 2014-05-30 - ASIA/MYANMAR – Blessed father Vergara and Blessed Isidoro will give “impulse to vocations and to mission”
- 2014-05-13 - Hunger, malnutrition and debts for the population of the "dry zone"
- 2014-04-14 - The Archbishop of Yangon’s message: An Easter of reconciliation
- 2014-04-11 - New law on religious freedom? The Church disagrees
- 2014-03-31 - The Archbishop of Yangon: "The census is a golden opportunity for peace and development"