VATICAN - Benedict XVI: "my strengths, due to an advanced age, are no longer suited to an adequate exercise of the Petrine ministry"
Vatican City (Agenzia Fides) - During the Ordinary Public Consistory for the Canonization of some Blessed, held on Monday morning, February 11, the Holy Father Benedict XVI made this announcement to the Cardinals present: "After having repeatedly examined my conscience before God, I have come to the certainty that my strengths, due to an advanced age, are no longer suited to an adequate exercise of the Petrine ministry." So, after pointing out that "in today's world, subject to so many rapid changes and shaken by questions of deap relevance for the life of faith, in order to govern the barque of St. Peter and proclaim the Gospel, both strength of mind and body are necessary," he said: "well aware of the seriousness of this act, with full freedom, I declare that I renounce the ministry of the Bishop of Rome, Successor of St Peter, entrusted to me by the Cardinals on April 19, 2005, in such a way, that as from February 28, 2013, at 20.00 hours, the See of Rome, the See of St. Peter, will be vacant and a Conclave to elect the new Supreme Pontiff will have to be convoked shall by those whose competence it is." (SL) (Agenzia Fides 12/02/2013)
- 2014-08-19 - Cardinal Filoni thanks the Pope for his prayers
- 2014-08-18 - Press release of the Patriarchate of Babylon of the Chaldeans
- 2014-08-13 - Declaration of the Pontifical Council for Interreligious Dialogue
- 2014-08-12 - Cardinal Fernando Filoni leaves today for Iraq.
- 2014-08-11 - Pope Francis meets with Cardinal Fernando Filoni, his Envoy in Iraq
- 2014-07-14 - VATICAN – Pope makes heartfelt appeal "to continue to pray for peace in the Holy Land"
- 2014-06-14 - Message of His Holiness Francis for the World Mission Day 2014
- 2014-06-09 - Without the Holy Spirit there is no mission, there is no evangelization
- 2014-06-02 - Death of Cardinal Lourdusamy, he was Secretary of Propaganda Fide and President of the PMS
- 2014-06-02 - Cardinal Filoni to the seminarians in Otélé : "without the logic of holiness, the priestly ministry would simply be a social function"