VATICAN - Benedict XVI: "my strengths, due to an advanced age, are no longer suited to an adequate exercise of the Petrine ministry"
Vatican City (Agenzia Fides) - During the Ordinary Public Consistory for the Canonization of some Blessed, held on Monday morning, February 11, the Holy Father Benedict XVI made this announcement to the Cardinals present: "After having repeatedly examined my conscience before God, I have come to the certainty that my strengths, due to an advanced age, are no longer suited to an adequate exercise of the Petrine ministry." So, after pointing out that "in today's world, subject to so many rapid changes and shaken by questions of deap relevance for the life of faith, in order to govern the barque of St. Peter and proclaim the Gospel, both strength of mind and body are necessary," he said: "well aware of the seriousness of this act, with full freedom, I declare that I renounce the ministry of the Bishop of Rome, Successor of St Peter, entrusted to me by the Cardinals on April 19, 2005, in such a way, that as from February 28, 2013, at 20.00 hours, the See of Rome, the See of St. Peter, will be vacant and a Conclave to elect the new Supreme Pontiff will have to be convoked shall by those whose competence it is." (SL) (Agenzia Fides 12/02/2013)
- 2015-05-25 - The Pope's Message for World Mission Day 2015
- 2015-05-21 - The Pope recalls the Day of Prayer for the Church in China on May 24
- 2015-05-18 - Archbishop Romero will be the patron of Caritas Internationalis
- 2015-05-04 - Cardinal Filoni ordains 14 deacons from Africa and Asia: "you must have a missionary heart"
- 2015-04-29 - For a "Christian commitment" in the fight against human trafficking
- 2015-04-13 - Jubilee of Mercy: "This is a time for the Church to rediscover the meaning of the mission entrusted to her by the Lord"
- 2015-04-09 - Cardinal Filoni: Iraqi families all expect to be able to return to their homes, and we are ready to help them start over
- 2015-04-08 - Easter 2015: "Our brothers and sisters are persecuted, exiled, killed and beheaded simply because they are Christians, they are our martyrs of today"
- 2015-03-30 - The Pope: "We think of our brothers and sisters who are persecuted because they are Christians, the martyrs of our own time"
- 2015-03-27 - Cardinal Filoni returns to Iraq to express the closeness and affection of the Pope to displaced families