AFRICA/MALI - The situation is improving but the crisis is not over; Bishop of Mopti’s appeal for the displaced
Bamako (Agenzia Fides) - "The situation is improving gradually, but the crisis is not over," says to Fides Agency Father Edmond Dembele, Secretary of the Episcopal Conference of Mali. "There is in particular an improvement of the security conditions in the big cities of the north which were freed from jihadi groups. As proved by the visit of the French President François Hollande in Timbuktu, which was greeted with joy by the people. "
"The crisis is not over yet," warns Don Dembele. "The conflict is not over and there are delicate operations to be carried out so that the whole north is finally liberated."
"We must not also forget the humanitarian crisis," added the priest. "The escape of civilians from the villages of the north continues because they do not feel safe and because the living conditions remain difficult. Even in the liberated areas there is lack of food and medical care. Then there are displaced people in the south who need assistance. "
His Excellency Monsignor Georges Fonghoro, Bishop of Mopti launched an appeal through Aid to the Church in Need (ACN): "We must act immediately. The needs of the population are enormous. "
According to a note sent to Fides Agency Mgr. Fonghoro sent a letter to the papal foundation in which he denounces the terrible conditions of IDPs and in particular children, many of whom are severely malnourished.
ACS donated to the Diocese of Mopti an initial contribution of € 40 thousand to provide food and medicine to 326 families. "In recent months - continues Monsignor Fonghoro - Malians have suffered a lot, especially in the north of the Country. Now the situation is a bit calmer , but the state of emergency lasted more than three months and many are afraid to return to their villages. " (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 04/02/2013)
- 2013-04-29 AFRICA/MALI – The situation improves but the plight of displaced persons and refugees is not forgotten
- 2013-04-10 AFRICA/MALI - Refugees, food shortages and mine clearance: new emergencies in the Country
- 2013-03-07 AFRICA/MALI - The population of Mali finds hope again
- 2013-02-12 AFRICA/MALI - Religious leaders consulted on the crisis of the Malian army
- 2013-02-04 AFRICA/MALI - The situation is improving but the crisis is not over; Bishop of Mopti’s appeal for the displaced
- 2013-02-01 AFRICA/MALI - "The need to face the challenge of national reconciliation immediately" ask the Bishops
- 2013-01-28 AFRICA/MALI - The population of the cities liberated are celebrating
- 2013-01-24 AFRICA/MALI - Armed conflict exacerbates the already precarious country's education system
- 2013-01-24 AFRICA/MALI - Bishops’ appeal for prayer and solidarity, who today will be received by the Head of State
- 2013-01-23 AFRICA/MALI - Japan closes its embassy in Bamako, but there are no specific threats against foreigners