AMERICA/VENEZUELA - "Prison is a rehabilitation center, not a warehouse of people sentenced to death," said Cardinal Urosa
Caracas (Agenzia Fides) - The Archbishop of Caracas, Cardinal Jorge Urosa Savino, called on Venezuelans not to get used to the idea that the country's prisons are warehouses of people destined to die. "On the contrary, they are reform centers, rehabilitation centers, centers for re-integrating into society."
Cardinal Jorge Urosa spoke in an interview with the local press, on the events in the prison of Uribana where at least 58 people died and over 90 injured (see Fides 30/01/2013).
A note sent to Fides Agency, states that "the national government has the responsibility of prisons, the life and safety of the people who are there." The Cardinal reiterated that the closure of the prison is not a permanent solution to the issue. "It creates other problems. What has to be done is build more prisons, optimize trials, ensure better living conditions and support the human rights of prisoners, although some of them are criminals," he said. After thanking Pope Benedict XVI for his interest and his prayers, he took the opportunity to express solidarity with political prisoners in the country. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 04/02/2013)
- 2014-10-01 - "Division is not from God": in march for peace and unity of the country
- 2014-09-30 - Violence in the country does not decrease: a military chaplain killed
- 2014-09-27 - "Do not be afraid of peace" Pope Francis’ letter to Venezuela
- 2014-09-16 - AMERICA/VENEZUELA – Laity meet apostolic Nuncio, a tradition which encourages the unity of the Church
- 2014-08-12 - "Commit to a missionary cooperation", the V National Missionary Congress has concluded
- 2014-08-06 - The V National Missionary Congress begins
- 2014-07-14 - "Give teachers their salaries": church’s appeal in favor of teachers
- 2014-07-12 - "It is impossible to find a solution if you do not listen to the people", say the Bishops
- 2014-07-09 - The Assembly of Bishops begins: defeat pessimism and allow hope to grow
- 2014-06-25 - National holiday marked by demonstrations