AMERICA/VENEZUELA - "Prison is a rehabilitation center, not a warehouse of people sentenced to death," said Cardinal Urosa
Caracas (Agenzia Fides) - The Archbishop of Caracas, Cardinal Jorge Urosa Savino, called on Venezuelans not to get used to the idea that the country's prisons are warehouses of people destined to die. "On the contrary, they are reform centers, rehabilitation centers, centers for re-integrating into society."
Cardinal Jorge Urosa spoke in an interview with the local press, on the events in the prison of Uribana where at least 58 people died and over 90 injured (see Fides 30/01/2013).
A note sent to Fides Agency, states that "the national government has the responsibility of prisons, the life and safety of the people who are there." The Cardinal reiterated that the closure of the prison is not a permanent solution to the issue. "It creates other problems. What has to be done is build more prisons, optimize trials, ensure better living conditions and support the human rights of prisoners, although some of them are criminals," he said. After thanking Pope Benedict XVI for his interest and his prayers, he took the opportunity to express solidarity with political prisoners in the country. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 04/02/2013)
- 2015-11-23 - With the closure of borders many children are unlikely to make their First Communion
- 2015-11-11 - The Bishops call for elections: "Free vote, essential to strengthen democracy"
- 2015-09-22 - The National Assembly of the PMS: solidarity with our brothers in the East
- 2015-09-18 - The National Assembly of Pastoral Care: Renew enthusiasm in evangelization
- 2015-09-17 - Crisis with Colombia: "Governments have not done their best to solve the crisis", said Mgr. Padron
- 2015-09-07 - Poverty and precariousness force people to seek food in the garbage
- 2015-09-01 - The Bishops on the situation of conflict with Colombia: "Human rights are the same for all"
- 2015-08-12 - No social communications no democracy Bishop Lückert León speaks about the media
- 2015-08-11 - Drugs are lacking in the country, some use those for animals
- 2015-08-07 - There are 10,000 participants attending the III Youth National Meeting