AMERICA/VENEZUELA - "Prison is a rehabilitation center, not a warehouse of people sentenced to death," said Cardinal Urosa
Caracas (Agenzia Fides) - The Archbishop of Caracas, Cardinal Jorge Urosa Savino, called on Venezuelans not to get used to the idea that the country's prisons are warehouses of people destined to die. "On the contrary, they are reform centers, rehabilitation centers, centers for re-integrating into society."
Cardinal Jorge Urosa spoke in an interview with the local press, on the events in the prison of Uribana where at least 58 people died and over 90 injured (see Fides 30/01/2013).
A note sent to Fides Agency, states that "the national government has the responsibility of prisons, the life and safety of the people who are there." The Cardinal reiterated that the closure of the prison is not a permanent solution to the issue. "It creates other problems. What has to be done is build more prisons, optimize trials, ensure better living conditions and support the human rights of prisoners, although some of them are criminals," he said. After thanking Pope Benedict XVI for his interest and his prayers, he took the opportunity to express solidarity with political prisoners in the country. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 04/02/2013)
- 2015-07-06 - 35,000 people have been isolated due to floods, other 25,000 at risk
- 2015-06-22 - Hunger strike in 12 states for political prisoners, the Church has been asked to intervene
- 2015-06-19 - "They have our support": Mgr. Conde receives young people on hunger strike and writes to the Pope
- 2015-06-05 - Appeal to the authorities in favor of protesters on hunger strike
- 2015-06-03 - The Church calls on the authorities to respond to the students on hunger strike
- 2015-05-30 - Six young people on hunger strike in a church in Caracas
- 2015-05-19 - Casa-Hogar "Padre Machado" in El Valle occupied with violence for a few hours
- 2015-03-03 - Classes suspended in the University of Tachira, false accusations made against the Catholic University
- 2015-02-27 - The Bishops: "Stop murderous violence!"
- 2015-02-25 - More violence and protests: 6 dead in six days of demonstrations