AMERICA/VENEZUELA - "Prison is a rehabilitation center, not a warehouse of people sentenced to death," said Cardinal Urosa
Caracas (Agenzia Fides) - The Archbishop of Caracas, Cardinal Jorge Urosa Savino, called on Venezuelans not to get used to the idea that the country's prisons are warehouses of people destined to die. "On the contrary, they are reform centers, rehabilitation centers, centers for re-integrating into society."
Cardinal Jorge Urosa spoke in an interview with the local press, on the events in the prison of Uribana where at least 58 people died and over 90 injured (see Fides 30/01/2013).
A note sent to Fides Agency, states that "the national government has the responsibility of prisons, the life and safety of the people who are there." The Cardinal reiterated that the closure of the prison is not a permanent solution to the issue. "It creates other problems. What has to be done is build more prisons, optimize trials, ensure better living conditions and support the human rights of prisoners, although some of them are criminals," he said. After thanking Pope Benedict XVI for his interest and his prayers, he took the opportunity to express solidarity with political prisoners in the country. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 04/02/2013)
- 2014-03-10 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - The Bishop of Maracay on the situation in the country: "There is no peace without justice"
- 2014-02-28 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Pray for Venezuela and discern events in the light of the Word of God
- 2014-02-27 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - The Church at National Conference for Peace: find ways and means for dialogue to resolve the difficulties of Venezuela
- 2014-02-26 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - “A process of reconciliation is necessary”, Bishops call dialogue to discover the truth
- 2014-02-26 AMERICA/VENEZUELA – Christians in prayer to accompany imminent National Peace Conference
- 2014-02-21 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Cardinal Urosa to the government: "dialogue that recognizes the country's problems "
- 2014-02-18 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Funeral of the two Salesians killed: more than 50 years at the service of Venezuela
- 2014-02-17 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Two Salesians killed and two others injured during a robbery, insecurity in the country is worrying
- 2014-02-15 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - The Bishop of Maracay: "One has the right to protest, but violence has to stop"
- 2014-02-14 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - "The government must listen to the people who protest" the voice of the Church after 3 deaths during demonstrations