AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - About 300 Sudanese refugees arrive in South Sudan every day. The UNHCR is preparing a new refugee camp
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - There are more than 177,000 refugees from South Kordofan hosted by South Sudan, particularly in the settlement of Yida (which only accommodates 61,000 people) in the State of Unity.
To cope with the new arrivals the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) launched the opening of a new camp in Ajuong on March 1.
To prepare the local population for the arrival of tens of thousands of refugees, the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (UNOCHA) has organized a meeting between the leaders of the camp Yida and the chiefs of the villages of Ajuong. We discussed the problems of the distribution of grazing, collection of firewood and safety conditions.
According to the UNHCR "every day about 300 refugees arrive in South Sudan. The situation remains fluid and up to 60 thousand new refugees could reach the country in the next five or six months, during the dry season. "
The South Kordofan State of Sudan on the border in southern Sudan, is the scene of a conflict between the army of Khartoum and the rebels of the SPLM-N (Sudan People's Liberation Movement-North). (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 31/01/2013)
- 2015-08-31 - "People fear that the peace agreements may not be respected", said the Auxiliary of Juba
- 2015-08-28 - The President orders the cease-fire, but expresses strong reservations on the peace agreement
- 2015-08-27 - AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN – No celebration was held in Juba for the signing of the peace agreement, "too many deaths for us to rejoice"
- 2015-08-26 - Towards the signing of the peace agreement to end the conflict described by the UN as "a threat to the peace of the entire region"
- 2015-08-11 - The peace process led by the Council of Churches begins
- 2015-08-07 - There are few hopes that the peace agreement will be signed by 17 August
- 2015-08-05 - The government of Juba rejects IGAD's peace plan, criticized by many
- 2015-08-03 - “Peace now” women march through the streets of Juba
- 2015-07-24 - AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN – School instruction during emergency situations a basic humanitarian necessity
- 2015-07-17 - "We must start again from scratch", says the Bishop Emeritus of Juba