AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - About 300 Sudanese refugees arrive in South Sudan every day. The UNHCR is preparing a new refugee camp
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - There are more than 177,000 refugees from South Kordofan hosted by South Sudan, particularly in the settlement of Yida (which only accommodates 61,000 people) in the State of Unity.
To cope with the new arrivals the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) launched the opening of a new camp in Ajuong on March 1.
To prepare the local population for the arrival of tens of thousands of refugees, the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (UNOCHA) has organized a meeting between the leaders of the camp Yida and the chiefs of the villages of Ajuong. We discussed the problems of the distribution of grazing, collection of firewood and safety conditions.
According to the UNHCR "every day about 300 refugees arrive in South Sudan. The situation remains fluid and up to 60 thousand new refugees could reach the country in the next five or six months, during the dry season. "
The South Kordofan State of Sudan on the border in southern Sudan, is the scene of a conflict between the army of Khartoum and the rebels of the SPLM-N (Sudan People's Liberation Movement-North). (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 31/01/2013)
- 2013-05-08 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - "We have nothing to do with the fundraising for our cathedral," says the Diocese of Torit
- 2013-04-26 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - "Our leadership is intact" ensures the Archbishop of Juba
- 2013-04-22 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Even a nurse of the Diocese of Torit among the victims of clashes between military and civilians
- 2013-03-18 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Death of Bishop of Torit
- 2013-02-27 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - From the Nuba Mountains to Uganda to receive new limbs thanks to the Catholic Church
- 2013-02-13 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Tension rises between South Sudan and Sudan
- 2013-01-31 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - About 300 Sudanese refugees arrive in South Sudan every day. The UNHCR is preparing a new refugee camp
- 2013-01-07 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Childhood penalized, 200,000 children at risk for malnutrition
- 2012-12-06 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - South Sudan Emergency: violence in Jonglei State does not stop
- 2012-12-04 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN-Somali immigrants accuse the security forces of abuse