AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - About 300 Sudanese refugees arrive in South Sudan every day. The UNHCR is preparing a new refugee camp
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - There are more than 177,000 refugees from South Kordofan hosted by South Sudan, particularly in the settlement of Yida (which only accommodates 61,000 people) in the State of Unity.
To cope with the new arrivals the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) launched the opening of a new camp in Ajuong on March 1.
To prepare the local population for the arrival of tens of thousands of refugees, the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (UNOCHA) has organized a meeting between the leaders of the camp Yida and the chiefs of the villages of Ajuong. We discussed the problems of the distribution of grazing, collection of firewood and safety conditions.
According to the UNHCR "every day about 300 refugees arrive in South Sudan. The situation remains fluid and up to 60 thousand new refugees could reach the country in the next five or six months, during the dry season. "
The South Kordofan State of Sudan on the border in southern Sudan, is the scene of a conflict between the army of Khartoum and the rebels of the SPLM-N (Sudan People's Liberation Movement-North). (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 31/01/2013)
- 2014-10-01 - Authorities have threatened to close down another Catholic radio
- 2014-09-29 - The Bishops denounce the manipulation of tribalism: "Put an end to the civil war now"
- 2014-09-23 - Religious leaders committed to calm tensions on the border with Uganda
- 2014-09-19 - South Sudan's Bakhita Radio can resume broadcasts, but without political issues
- 2014-09-17 - Malakal destroyed by the war - testimony of a nun
- 2014-09-03 - “Let us work together for peace”: Christian leaders urge traditional chiefs
- 2014-08-20 - Security agents release South Sudanese news editor South
- 2014-08-19 - The Bishops' Conference define the closure of Radio Bakhita "unfortunate"
- 2014-08-18 - The main Catholic radio station in the Country has been shut down
- 2014-08-05 - Commitment of the Church and of all the agencies present in Eastern Equatoria to raise awareness against the cholera epidemic that is rampant in the Country