AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - About 300 Sudanese refugees arrive in South Sudan every day. The UNHCR is preparing a new refugee camp
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - There are more than 177,000 refugees from South Kordofan hosted by South Sudan, particularly in the settlement of Yida (which only accommodates 61,000 people) in the State of Unity.
To cope with the new arrivals the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) launched the opening of a new camp in Ajuong on March 1.
To prepare the local population for the arrival of tens of thousands of refugees, the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (UNOCHA) has organized a meeting between the leaders of the camp Yida and the chiefs of the villages of Ajuong. We discussed the problems of the distribution of grazing, collection of firewood and safety conditions.
According to the UNHCR "every day about 300 refugees arrive in South Sudan. The situation remains fluid and up to 60 thousand new refugees could reach the country in the next five or six months, during the dry season. "
The South Kordofan State of Sudan on the border in southern Sudan, is the scene of a conflict between the army of Khartoum and the rebels of the SPLM-N (Sudan People's Liberation Movement-North). (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 31/01/2013)
- 2015-11-09 - Violence, food insecurity, malnutrition: the population is exhausted
- 2015-11-04 - "South Sudan is not prepared to deal with terrorist infiltration"
- 2015-11-03 - Appeals from religious leaders regarding the fate of 80,000 displaced people in the woods
- 2015-11-03 - AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN – The civil war continues to penalize the population: now the aim is survival
- 2015-10-20 - Apostolic Administrator of Torit: "It is more important to implement the peace agreement than create new States"
- 2015-10-08 - Perplexity about the creation of 28 new States
- 2015-10-02 - Malaria: 4,000 cases a week and the death of three children a day
- 2015-09-22 - Women, widows and orphans who live in absolute precariousness continues to increase
- 2015-09-15 - A Comboni Congolese missionary wounded in a road ambush
- 2015-09-03 - The Archbishop of Juba will inform Pope Francis on the situation in his country