AMERICA/UNITED STATES - For the U.S. Bishops the parliamentary agreement on immigration reform is "an important first step"
Washington (Agenzia Fides) - "An important first step," this is how, in a statement, the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops welcomed the recent agreement on the reform of immigration law by Congress. The agreement was set forth by four Republican senators and four Democrats, it gives fundamental information that could pave the way for new legislation within a few months.
The note sent to Fides Agency, underlines what the Archbishop of Los Angeles, His Exc. Mgr. José H. Gomez, Chairman of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops’ Committee on Migration says: "It is vital that the framework includes a path to citizenship, so that undocumented immigrants can come out of the shadows and have a chance to become Americans, so as to give hope to millions of people." "A reformed system can protect human dignity and the homeland at the same time."
According to an estimate provided by the Episcopal Conference there are 11 million immigrants ready to regularize their situation. Each year, the Episcopal Conference dedicates a Week of reflection on the theme of immigration. This year, the event took place from January 6 to 12, and was entitled, "Strangers no longer: Together on the Journey of Hope" (see Fides 07/01/2013). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 31/01/2013)
- 2013-05-10 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - "The suffering of immigrants has to stop!" says Cardinal Dolan
- 2013-04-10 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - Immigrants, Youth and reconstruction of Haiti, the aid priorities of the U.S. bishops
- 2013-04-03 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - 1.3 billion people worldwide live on less than $ 1.25 a day
- 2013-03-23 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - Immigration reform, perhaps even the support of the Pope
- 2013-03-11 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - Support of the African American community to the Caravan of Hope
- 2013-01-31 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - For the U.S. Bishops the parliamentary agreement on immigration reform is "an important first step"
- 2013-01-09 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - In California, one child out of 5 lives below the poverty line, the phenomenon is on the rise
- 2013-01-07 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - National Migration Week: to raise awareness on the 11 million undocumented persons
- 2012-12-10 AMERICA - About 300 000 children recruited for criminal activity in the world
- 2012-12-06 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - "The defense of immigrants is evangelization": the Bishop of Atlanta calls for an integral reform of immigration policy