AMERICA/UNITED STATES - For the U.S. Bishops the parliamentary agreement on immigration reform is "an important first step"
Washington (Agenzia Fides) - "An important first step," this is how, in a statement, the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops welcomed the recent agreement on the reform of immigration law by Congress. The agreement was set forth by four Republican senators and four Democrats, it gives fundamental information that could pave the way for new legislation within a few months.
The note sent to Fides Agency, underlines what the Archbishop of Los Angeles, His Exc. Mgr. José H. Gomez, Chairman of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops’ Committee on Migration says: "It is vital that the framework includes a path to citizenship, so that undocumented immigrants can come out of the shadows and have a chance to become Americans, so as to give hope to millions of people." "A reformed system can protect human dignity and the homeland at the same time."
According to an estimate provided by the Episcopal Conference there are 11 million immigrants ready to regularize their situation. Each year, the Episcopal Conference dedicates a Week of reflection on the theme of immigration. This year, the event took place from January 6 to 12, and was entitled, "Strangers no longer: Together on the Journey of Hope" (see Fides 07/01/2013). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 31/01/2013)
- 2013-10-16 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - Every day 1,400 children under 5 years of age die due to a lack of drinking water
- 2013-10-14 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - "Education cannot wait": due to conflicts about 29 million children lack education
- 2013-10-02 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - "Millions of Americans struggle to live": Bishops urgent request to the government
- 2013-09-10 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - Syria: Bishops’ practical suggestions to young people for non-violent protests
- 2013-09-06 AMERICA/UNITED STATES – The Bishops of Washington State push for the approval of the Immigration Act
- 2013-09-05 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - The Bishops: "We adhere to the Holy Father’s appeal for a peaceful solution to the conflict in Syria"
- 2013-07-30 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - Simply because we are a Catholic Church we are interested in the debate on immigration
- 2013-06-03 AMERICA/COLORADO - Children hospitalized with respiratory crisis for having ingested marijuana
- 2013-05-10 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - "The suffering of immigrants has to stop!" says Cardinal Dolan
- 2013-04-10 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - Immigrants, Youth and reconstruction of Haiti, the aid priorities of the U.S. bishops