AMERICA/UNITED STATES - For the U.S. Bishops the parliamentary agreement on immigration reform is "an important first step"
Washington (Agenzia Fides) - "An important first step," this is how, in a statement, the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops welcomed the recent agreement on the reform of immigration law by Congress. The agreement was set forth by four Republican senators and four Democrats, it gives fundamental information that could pave the way for new legislation within a few months.
The note sent to Fides Agency, underlines what the Archbishop of Los Angeles, His Exc. Mgr. José H. Gomez, Chairman of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops’ Committee on Migration says: "It is vital that the framework includes a path to citizenship, so that undocumented immigrants can come out of the shadows and have a chance to become Americans, so as to give hope to millions of people." "A reformed system can protect human dignity and the homeland at the same time."
According to an estimate provided by the Episcopal Conference there are 11 million immigrants ready to regularize their situation. Each year, the Episcopal Conference dedicates a Week of reflection on the theme of immigration. This year, the event took place from January 6 to 12, and was entitled, "Strangers no longer: Together on the Journey of Hope" (see Fides 07/01/2013). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 31/01/2013)
- 2015-05-12 - The Bishops denounce: the immigration system has become an "inhuman industry"
- 2015-05-08 - One hundred immigrants in one day: the flow does not stop, and mostly affects families
- 2015-05-05 - Cardinal Maradiaga visits Central American migrants detained in Dilley
- 2015-04-30 - Archbishop of Baltimore: "truth will heal the wounds"
- 2015-04-10 - New appeal to the President to finally solve the problems of immigrant families
- 2015-03-30 - Little Sisters of The Poor gather for last Mass in Cleveland
- 2015-03-30 - Submitted a bill to facilitate the immigration of Middle Eastern persecuted Christians
- 2015-03-28 - The denunciation of Bishops after the visit in Texas: "Why imprison the most vulnerable?"
- 2015-03-27 - Delegation of Bishops to visit a detention center for immigrant families
- 2015-03-27 - Assyrian Patriarch Mar Dinkha IV has passed away