AMERICA/UNITED STATES - For the U.S. Bishops the parliamentary agreement on immigration reform is "an important first step"
Washington (Agenzia Fides) - "An important first step," this is how, in a statement, the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops welcomed the recent agreement on the reform of immigration law by Congress. The agreement was set forth by four Republican senators and four Democrats, it gives fundamental information that could pave the way for new legislation within a few months.
The note sent to Fides Agency, underlines what the Archbishop of Los Angeles, His Exc. Mgr. José H. Gomez, Chairman of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops’ Committee on Migration says: "It is vital that the framework includes a path to citizenship, so that undocumented immigrants can come out of the shadows and have a chance to become Americans, so as to give hope to millions of people." "A reformed system can protect human dignity and the homeland at the same time."
According to an estimate provided by the Episcopal Conference there are 11 million immigrants ready to regularize their situation. Each year, the Episcopal Conference dedicates a Week of reflection on the theme of immigration. This year, the event took place from January 6 to 12, and was entitled, "Strangers no longer: Together on the Journey of Hope" (see Fides 07/01/2013). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 31/01/2013)
- 2014-12-18 - Bishops: not only diplomatic relations with Cuba, but also cooperation in various fields
- 2014-11-21 - The Church on the measures for immigrants: "We have a long history of welcoming..."
- 2014-11-20 - 2 and a half million children live in shelters, on the streets or in cars
- 2014-11-18 - Letter of the Bishops of Texas and Ciudad Juarez: "We invite the Pope to come and visit the border area"
- 2014-11-14 - New version of the Catechism of the Catholic Church online, in English and Spanish
- 2014-11-13 - Students attending Catholic schools increase
- 2014-10-24 - Millions of children and young people feel unsafe in their families
- 2014-09-22 - Waiting for the reform, migrant families continue to be divided
- 2014-09-11 - In few days 25 thousand Iraqi Chaldeans have registered in the lists to apply for a USA visa
- 2014-07-26 - "Looking for a lawyer to represent undocumented children"