AMERICA/ARGENTINA - "Drugs are also present in primary schools": Mgr. Bressanelli calls for the intervention of the State
Neuquén (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishop of the Diocese of Neuquén and Vice President of the Argentine Episcopal Conference, Hios Exc. Mgr. Virginio Domingo Bressanelli, S.C.I., expressed concern about the economic situation, social inequality that still exists in the country, in particular in the province of his diocese, and for the spread of drugs. The note sent to Fides Agency is an interview to the local press by the Bishop, in which he states: "The year 2012 was not one of the best years from the economic point of view. It is said that in 2013 and 2014, the situation can improve ... It is well known that when there are difficult situations, those who suffer the most are the vulnerable, the poorest, those with lower incomes or those without work." Mgr. Bressanelli, Bishop of Neuquén since 2011, pointed out that "the number of people who are in a vulnerable situation, who I met on the street and asked for help has increased."
The causes of the social situation, Mgr. Bressanelli cited "the international crisis, especially in the West, and the very few foreign investment in Argentina that have limited sources of employment." Therefore he said: "We (bishops) are neither the opposition nor the government, we are Pastors." This is why the document of the Argentinean Bishops touched "two important issues, such as family and social life."
The words of the Bishop were motivated by his demand for a decisive intervention of the State to counter consumption and drug addiction. "In Neuquén alcohol, gambling and drugs addicts are a serious problem" denounced Mgr. Bressanelli. According to what was reported, the figures are alarming: the average age when drugs begin decreased from 14 to 8 years. "Drug problem is now also present in primary schools," he said, saying he is in favor of increasing social workers. "The question of dependence must be attacked from all sides," concluded Mgr. Bressanelli. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 30/01/2013)
- 2014-07-08 - After 38 years the killers of the Bishop who fought for hope and dignity have been condemned
- 2014-06-27 - AMERICA/ARGENTINA – Social Week begins, to promote "the culture of meeting"
- 2014-06-26 - A city in march against consumption and illicit drug trafficking
- 2014-06-25 - Bishops concerned about the national economic situation
- 2014-06-18 - A video against drugs: the Church launches a campaign on social networking sites
- 2014-05-28 - Church and civil authorities together for the safety of citizens
- 2014-05-26 - After 10 years, President Kirchner takes part in the Te Deum for the national holiday
- 2014-05-14 - "The country is sick of violence": proposal of Bishops to respond to this reality
- 2014-05-05 - Episcopal Assembly begins: "It is impossible to get used to drugs and violence"
- 2014-04-10 - For the Bishop of Posadas: "Lynchings, a serious social problem to be solved together"