AMERICA/ARGENTINA - "Drugs are also present in primary schools": Mgr. Bressanelli calls for the intervention of the State
Neuquén (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishop of the Diocese of Neuquén and Vice President of the Argentine Episcopal Conference, Hios Exc. Mgr. Virginio Domingo Bressanelli, S.C.I., expressed concern about the economic situation, social inequality that still exists in the country, in particular in the province of his diocese, and for the spread of drugs. The note sent to Fides Agency is an interview to the local press by the Bishop, in which he states: "The year 2012 was not one of the best years from the economic point of view. It is said that in 2013 and 2014, the situation can improve ... It is well known that when there are difficult situations, those who suffer the most are the vulnerable, the poorest, those with lower incomes or those without work." Mgr. Bressanelli, Bishop of Neuquén since 2011, pointed out that "the number of people who are in a vulnerable situation, who I met on the street and asked for help has increased."
The causes of the social situation, Mgr. Bressanelli cited "the international crisis, especially in the West, and the very few foreign investment in Argentina that have limited sources of employment." Therefore he said: "We (bishops) are neither the opposition nor the government, we are Pastors." This is why the document of the Argentinean Bishops touched "two important issues, such as family and social life."
The words of the Bishop were motivated by his demand for a decisive intervention of the State to counter consumption and drug addiction. "In Neuquén alcohol, gambling and drugs addicts are a serious problem" denounced Mgr. Bressanelli. According to what was reported, the figures are alarming: the average age when drugs begin decreased from 14 to 8 years. "Drug problem is now also present in primary schools," he said, saying he is in favor of increasing social workers. "The question of dependence must be attacked from all sides," concluded Mgr. Bressanelli. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 30/01/2013)
- 2014-03-05 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - The campaign against drug abuse, a scourge for thousands of young people, restarts in Jujuy
- 2014-02-20 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - "From Blessed Brochero let us learn to become missionary disciples": meeting of the diocese of Patagonia
- 2014-01-16 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - On-Call service for cases of abuse, mistreatment or child neglect
- 2014-01-16 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - Children subject of rights: an obligation for all States
- 2013-12-20 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - "Decent work against the culture of waste": the Pope's message to the MTE
- 2013-12-17 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - "Nearness does not leave us indifferent", Message from the Bishops of Patagonia
- 2013-12-11 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - Bishops call for social peace: problems have to be faced with dialogue
- 2013-12-11 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - "There is social fear, now we have to heal the wounds of the people": the Bishop of Concordia talks about the violence
- 2013-12-10 AMERICA/ARGENTINA – Bishops’ appeal to stop violence and vandalism. "There have been deaths in Jujuy", said Mgr. Fernandez
- 2013-12-05 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - Violence and looting in Cordoba: for the Church these are criminal acts, not due to poverty