AMERICA/VENEZUELA - In the prison of Uribana 58 deaths and 88 injured: "the Catholic Church cannot remain inactive!"
Caracas (Agenzia Fides) - "Faced with the ineffective government prison policy, with the overcrowding, lack of adequate food, uncontrolled violence, procedural delays and all the humiliation suffered by the families, among other things, that continue to affect the prisoners in Venezuela, the Catholic Church cannot remain inactive!" Is what is said in a statement released yesterday, January 29, sent to Fides Agency, by the National Commission for the Pastoral Care of the prisons of the Venezuelan Episcopal Conference (CEV), in which it expresses its sorrow for the tragic events of Uribana and asks to carry out "an inquiry into what happened, in an effective, independent and impartial manner, that allows to prosecute and punish those responsible."
The statement, titled "It is moment of national mourning," referred to the violent events that took place in the Central Penitentiary in Uribana, where on January 25, during a riot in which the reasons have not yet been clarified, 58 people were killed and 88 were injured. The statement, after condemning the power of gangs inside detention centers and the use of arms, recalls that the State is called upon to ensure the lives of the imprisoned.
"We call on the Government, under Article 272 of our Constitution, to commit themselves more decisively to resolve the current crisis in prisons - continues the statement - and take all the necessary measures to prevent the recurrence of these events and for the effective guarantee of all human rights of prisoners in Venezuela." The Commission of CEV also seeks to restore the permission, now suspended, to pastoral workers of the Church, in order to enter detention centers. The document concludes by inviting the Christian community to work to ensure respect for the human dignity of all. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 30/01/2013)
- 2014-02-28 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Pray for Venezuela and discern events in the light of the Word of God
- 2014-02-27 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - The Church at National Conference for Peace: find ways and means for dialogue to resolve the difficulties of Venezuela
- 2014-02-26 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - “A process of reconciliation is necessary”, Bishops call dialogue to discover the truth
- 2014-02-26 AMERICA/VENEZUELA – Christians in prayer to accompany imminent National Peace Conference
- 2014-02-21 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Cardinal Urosa to the government: "dialogue that recognizes the country's problems "
- 2014-02-18 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Funeral of the two Salesians killed: more than 50 years at the service of Venezuela
- 2014-02-17 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Two Salesians killed and two others injured during a robbery, insecurity in the country is worrying
- 2014-02-15 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - The Bishop of Maracay: "One has the right to protest, but violence has to stop"
- 2014-02-14 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - "The government must listen to the people who protest" the voice of the Church after 3 deaths during demonstrations
- 2014-01-31 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - According to the report of an NGO, more than 500 deaths in prisons in 2013