ASIA/INDIA - The ten points of the Church for the Year of Faith
Mangalore (Agenzia Fides) - How to strengthen the faith of the population? How to respond to the pastoral challenges (such as poverty and the presence of sects) and to the spiritual needs of the faithful? In the midst of the Year of Faith, the Church in India wonders and focuses on "ten basic points" to fully live this time that Benedict XVI has given to the universal Church.
As reported to Fides Agency, in a meeting held yesterday, January 29, in Mangalore, promoted by Bishop Mgr. Aloysius Paul D'Souza, in the presence of the clergy, religious and lay faithful, the Church in India pointed out that the Year of Faith calls every believer to "refocus the detachment from earthly goods and the commitment to social justice." Led by the Franciscan Father Nithiya Sagayam, OFM Cap, Executive Secretary of the Office for Human Development of the Federation of Asian Bishops' Conferences (FABC), the Assembly reiterated the urgent need to plan, in every diocese, ways and means to make the Year Faith effective, translating the contents at a pastoral level, for different areas and different age groups.
The assembly approved a program in ten points, sent to Fides Agency:
1. Telling children and young people the story of faith and sacrifices made to bring forth the faith in different territories;
2. Create special "teams of faith" for animation in every diocese, which operate with associations, the elderly, youth, family;
3. Strengthen solidarity with those in need, with a team of volunteers;
4. Establish the special "peace team" to promote unity and reconciliation within families and villages;
5. Celebration "Peace Days" for parents, couples, young people, women;
6. Resume concrete action plans for the rights of the poor and oppressed (food security, gender equity, fair wages, rights of the child, etc.);
7. Build good relationships with local government officials;
8. Activate the Eucharistic adoration in all the churches;
9. Give special attention to groups of young families, tomigrants, to the sick;
10. Begin Lent as "a time of transformation," focusing on reconciliation between individuals, families, and communities.
(PA) (Agenzia Fides 30/01/2013)
- 2015-09-02 - Bishops of Orissa establish "Martyrs Day"
- 2015-09-01 - Interreligious prayer on the Day of Creation
- 2015-08-31 - In Orissa the Day of Remembrance for the victims of anti-Christian massacres
- 2015-08-29 - The Franciscans in India: an hour of Adoration for the Day of Creation
- 2015-08-28 - India is polio-free: thanks to the collaboration between State and Church
- 2015-08-26 - Census on religions: Muslims increas, Christians stable
- 2015-08-25 - "No more violence": anniversary of anti-Christian massacres in Orissa
- 2015-08-24 - A Christian Forum urges the Government of Orissa to protect Christians
- 2015-08-21 - The Daughters of Mary Help of Christians open a new convent in the state of Orissa
- 2015-08-04 - ASIA/INDIA – Over half a million children engaged in risky work in cotton fields