AMERICA/COSTA RICA - Eco Catolico, the first weekly in the Country has been announcing truth and justice for 130 years
San José (Agenzia Fides) - The weekly "Eco Catolico" of the Catholic Church in Costa Rica celebrates 130 years of its foundation, on January 6, 1883, thanks to the initiative of the Bishop of San José de Costa Rica, Msg. Bernardo Augusto Thiel. For this anniversary a Mass was celebrated in the National Shrine of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, in San Jose, on January 16, with the participation of several Bishops of the Country, the Apostolic Nuncio, employees and collaborators. In addition, as part of the celebrations, in this month of January, promotional activities have been carried out for a revival of the printed and digital version.
The latest study carried out places Eco Catolico as the first weekly in the Country. Its director, Mr. Martin Rodriguez explains in the note sent to Fides Agency, that this anniversary is an opportunity to validate the evangelizing mission of the magazine, "with all what the proclamation of the Good News of salvation implies and the complaint of everything that is opposed to God's plan for human beings." His Exc. Mgr. José Rafael Quirós Q., Bishop of Limón and President of the Episcopal Commission for Communications, recalled the spirit of the founder of the newspaper: "Making Eco Catolico a newspaper for the formation and Christian orientation. To present Truth as a source that guides Christian life; Justice as a commitment that fulfills the love of God and neighbor; Courage as a way to denounce the wrong ways in which they want to bring our people of faith, with criteria away from Christian culture, strongly anchored in the heart of the Costa Ricans." (CE) (Agenzia Fides 29/01/2013)
- 2015-11-25 - Cuban immigrants blocked at the border between Costa Rica and Nicaragua: "a humanitarian issue"
- 2015-10-28 - Violence against children in the age group between 1 and 3
- 2015-10-01 - Hydroelectric project: communities meet the Bishop to deal with the problem
- 2015-09-28 - A canteen for poor children who go to school
- 2015-08-04 - AMERICA/COSTA RICA –La Negrita celebrations: the local Catholic Church calls for intervention in favour of the family
- 2015-03-02 - Unexpected increase of cases of rotavirus in children: a thousand a week
- 2014-12-23 - Entrepreneurial initiatives for poor women
- 2014-12-17 - The campaign against hunger begins again, especially to help poor families
- 2014-09-16 - AMERICA/COSTA RICA – Poverty and violence afflict 34% of Costa Rica’s children
- 2014-09-09 - Solidarity initiative to prevent child abuse and maltreatment